MPs reject May's EU withdrawal agreement for the third time

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
MPs have rejected Theresa May’s EU withdrawal agreement on the day the UK was due to leave the EU.

The government lost by 344 votes to 286, a margin of 58.

It means the UK has missed an EU deadline to delay Brexit to 22 May and leave with a deal.

The prime minister said the UK would have to find "an alternative way forward", which was "almost certain" to involve holding European elections.

The saga continues, she's got just two weeks left to save the world. Theresa-uh , tick tock tick tock tick tock

Reactions: 2
^ Do you reckon there will be a General Election now? If so, there will have to be a long extension to accommodate it which would then mean having to pay another year's membership, I'm assuming... Can't see an end to this mess soon.

Reactions: 1
So are we a step closer to getting rid of her? Or better still her party or the whole brexit shambles??

Reactions: 3
I don't see how a GE would really help, just more delays or uncertainties. Can't really see anyone that I think would do a better job

I just would like a decision made, either go out with no deal or cancel it altogether.

Reactions: 1
I think what she actually intends to do is do an indicative vote on other options, where they are ranked in popularity rather than yes/no. And then the most popular is put vs her deal.

Yel

^Yep. I thought no deal was the least likely outcome after they voted against it. But now 6 of the cabinet don't want no deal and 10 do.

To me no deal sounds the most likely as it's the result of a deadlock. Then you have people taking about the queen for the first time not giving royal assent, a customs union with a long delay, a second vote, a general election. Who knows..

Today’s developments seems so crazy.... surely JC and TM should have worked together sooner..... wonders if EU will agree extension on that basis

Apart from Brexit, I'll never forgive Theresa May for making Vivienne Westwood clothes look so bleeping awful.

viv1.jpg

• Haha
It’s honestly the most ridiculous situation.

It’s like being a member of a gym but wanting to leave.

Me “I want to cancel my membership”

Gym “okay, well you have to pay 5 years monthly fees upfront and abide by our dietary plan forever”

Me “oh, well I’ll cancel the direct debit you can go jump”

Gym “Well you won’t be allowed to eat any salad for the rest of your life if you do that and also all your friends and family will be banned from every gym in the country!”

Me “but I don’t want membership”

Gym “Tough, we own you”

• Haha
It’s honestly the most ridiculous situation.

It’s like being a member of a gym but wanting to leave.

Me “I want to cancel my membership”

Gym “okay, well you have to pay 5 years monthly fees upfront and abide by our dietary plan forever”

Me “oh, well I’ll cancel the direct debit you can go jump”

Gym “Well you won’t be allowed to eat any salad for the rest of your life if you do that and also all your friends and family will be banned from every gym in the country!”

Me “but I don’t want membership”

Gym “Tough, we own you”
So true.....

Yel

So yesterday it scraped through by one vote to ask for another extension.

But the EU have to agree for the extension.

An extension followed by another longer extension is just doing the most damage imo.

So yesterday it scraped through by one vote to ask for another extension.

But the EU have to agree for the extension.

An extension followed by another longer extension is just doing the most damage imo.
I agree. A decision needs to be made on best way for us to leave and then it happens. I think I’d rather see a no deal now

From what I gather, since the amendment to rule out a no deal May has to accept whatever offer the other EU leaders decide to give. What a mess.

I’m at the point now where I genuinely think I am just having a really bad trip.

And I don’t even take illegal drugs.

So how this trip has happened I don’t know.

Maybe this is like lost, and I did actually die last year, now my mind is just bleeping with me.

Who knows.

• Sad
Can someone enlighten this semi-clueless American as to what exactly has been happening with Brexit? Just a quick briefing? I don't have the news channels anyway, but I quit watching a while back because it's all just in such a state and really negative, but when I try to find articles about this subject, none give a little run-down, they're all about very specific topics or new developments.

So the vote was to leave, but now it's being reversed? and is that due to protests and petitions or a re-vote? What kinds of things has it already f*ed up?

Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer, I'm genuinely trying to find out more about the state of the rest of the world and this in particular. Sorry if I'm even more lost than I think I am on the subject!

It’s not being reversed but the deadline for leaving keeps being extended because parliament can’t decide on what terms we should exit the EU.
The PM negotiated a deal which she hasn’t been able to get through Parliament despite multiple attempts.
There are some extreme Brexiteers who don’t want any sort of deal at all and think we should go it alone (trade etc)
And there’s a particularly tricky issue with the Northern Irish border. If we left the EU there would have to be some kind of border between NI which is part of the UK and the republic. But the Good Friday agreement forbids this and no one wants a return to the troubles in N Ireland.
Then other MPs think there should be another referendum as we weren’t given the facts the first time.
So no one can agree, a lot of opportunism is going on but the EU have granted an extension on our leaving date to 31 October. But nothing else has really changed, it’s still the same mess and no one knows what will happen.

Reactions: 4