Moving back to my home town - am I being crazy?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking for advice to see if anyone has been in a similar situation before and if it’s paid off?

I met my fiancé in my home city, which was his university city. After a short while of us meeting he moved back home, hundreds miles from me. I ended up moving down there and finding a job to be with him and we now have a house here etc. I don’t have any friends here despite living here for years and now that I’m beginning to wedding plan etc it feels incredibly lonely having all my friends hundreds of miles away. All his friends are also back in my home city, he’s incredibly close to all of his university friends. I’m really really wanting to move back here, not just to be with family and friends, but also because house prices are cheaper and the city is more vibrant/more to do. Fiancé is also wanting to move back too, but he wouldn’t be able to transfer jobs unlike me so that comes with a whole new problem. I can’t tell if I’m looking through all of this with rose-tinted glasses, and that moving back is just going to be a huge hassle and maybe it won’t be worth it? I had a visit back home this weekend and now I can’t stop looking at houses and thinking about how exciting my life used to be, I’m even getting tearful thinking about living here being bored all the time without friends.

I’ve always joked about living in a place where no one ever seems to do anything exciting, and everyone stays in the same area in which they were born. But now thinking about it, I wish I’d stayed, I thought moving away would be exciting and would have lots of opportunities, and whilst we have made good memories here, I just think we’d have a much better quality of life back in my hometown.

Hi, you have a few choices..
Reaaaally try and make new friends in your new area? I lived in my new area for about 8 years before meeting any new friends! Now I have a good little circle and I'm much happier. I wouldn't move back now and tbh never contemplated moving back but I didn't move as far as you tbf.
Could you survive on just your wage whilst your bf looked for a job?
Would you leave your bf to go back to your old area if he can't relocate and has no choice but to stay?
My personal advice is to try harder to make friends. Look online, join clubs.. all the usual ways.

Hi, you have a few choices..
Reaaaally try and make new friends in your new area? I lived in my new area for about 8 years before meeting any new friends! Now I have a good little circle and I'm much happier. I wouldn't move back now and tbh never contemplated moving back but I didn't move as far as you tbf.
Could you survive on just your wage whilst your bf looked for a job?
Would you leave your bf to go back to your old area if he can't relocate and has no choice but to stay?
My personal advice is to try harder to make friends. Look online, join clubs.. all the usual ways.
I guess I could try and make friends in my area but I find it difficult. We currently live in a village where everyone knows one another and I feel like a bit of a foreigner I guess! I work with people a lot older than me so no chance of making friends at work either:(. I think my main problem has been that I’ve never really ‘wanted’ to make friends here, because I’m perfectly happy with my friends back up north! All my friendships are ones that I’ve had for 10+ years, and I’d find it quite difficult to strike up new friendships. I think I’ve never felt ‘at home’ here so haven’t tried my hardest with settling in. We could definitely afford to live on my wage for a few months whilst my partner finds a new job, and family would happily let us stay there until we got settled. He’s self employed at the moment too, but wants a career change anyway so this may be a good opportunity for that fresh start. My biggest personality fault is getting obsessed with things easily, we only agreed to start thinking about moving back yesterday and now it’s all I can think about and it’s driving me crazy :(

Moving back home is NOT going to be what you are hoping it will be. I’m not saying it’s going to be bad, but you are looking at it from a very rose tinted perspective. You aren’t going to move back and for life to just click back into place like it was years ago when you lived there before because life has moved on - your friends & family while they will be glad to see you, they have moved on with their own lives and won’t be in the same place they were years ago. Relationship will have changed, day to day life will be different. I think you will be disappointed if you go back and think it’s going to be like the good old days. It won’t be.

I’d personally try to work on finding your feet where you are at the moment. Get out there and try to meet some people- join a class or take up a sport, join in local activities or groups, try to find some common interests and meet people that way. Making friends as an adult is hard but you need to put a bit of effort in to it yourself.

from your posts it just sounds like you are living in the past a little bit. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Moving back home is NOT going to be what you are hoping it will be. I’m not saying it’s going to be bad, but you are looking at it from a very rose tinted perspective. You aren’t going to move back and for life to just click back into place like it was years ago when you lived there before because life has moved on - your friends & family while they will be glad to see you, they have moved on with their own lives and won’t be in the same place they were years ago. Relationship will have changed, day to day life will be different. I think you will be disappointed if you go back and think it’s going to be like the good old days. It won’t be.

I’d personally try to work on finding your feet where you are at the moment. Get out there and try to meet some people- join a class or take up a sport, join in local activities or groups, try to find some common interests and meet people that way. Making friends as an adult is hard but you need to put a bit of effort in to it yourself.

from your posts it just sounds like you are living in the past a little bit. 🤷🏼‍♀️
This 100 times over 🎯