Moving away to a new city

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello!

So, I need a bit of advice moving to a new city.

Bit of background: I'm 22, hate my job, don't really like my flat and I whenever I go to Leeds I always want to live there :oops: call me weird but I get a much better vibe from the city compared to where I am living now. I just thought why not move? I am not leaving anything behind and my parents live 100+ miles away anyway.

I have no idea how to do it though. I don't know if I should move jobs first and commute there, move first and commute to Manchester like I am doing now, or just quit my job, move and then get a new job. I have enough savings to keep me going for 6-8 months if I quit my job but I'm scared I won't be able to find a new one quick enough and money runs out.

I probably sound stupid and what I should do may be obvious to most people but I have never done this before. I moved into my flat where I am now purely because I worked a few doors down but now I have started working in Manchester. I don't particularly like Manchester hence a move to Leeds.

Help šŸ˜‚ if anyone here is from Leeds, can you recommend any areas that I should avoid moving to?

Reactions: 2

So youā€™re too old for Chris Ingham.
Thatā€™s a positive!!

I have nothing else to add but best of luck whatever you decide! šŸ™‚

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I donā€™t know much about Leeds other than Iā€™ve loved it when I visited and Iā€™ve had lots of friends live there who really liked living there in their 20s.

Good luck with you new adventure x

Reactions: 1
I used to visit Leeds alot as my friend lived at uni there, i know exactly what you mean about it, I love it. The people are lovely, brilliant nightlife, such a cool and vibrant city. I say good on you for following your dreams, wish Iā€™d been brave enough to get out of the town I live in and see more beyond the walls when I was your age (lived at home until I was 28-even commuted to uni, job etc šŸ™ˆ). Whatever way you choose to do it (any of those options sound sensible) will be the right way and if itā€™s not you will always have your home to go back to. Sorry if that sounds a bit vague but go with whatever feels the most right for you and I am sure it will all fall into place. Good luck šŸ˜€

Do it! I really like Leeds,

You've got enough cash that money shouldn't be a concern, but if you think it will be that hard to get a new job just apply and travel for the interviews.

Life is too short not to not move somewhere that you think will improve your life

Reactions: 3
Definitely move to Leeds! Not because I know the city but because you clearly love it, and youā€™re still very young with no responsibilities (that you mention...) and so why not? itā€™s not hard to make new friends at that age, and I honestly think the town / city / village you live in is a huge priority. Perhaps itā€™s obvious but if you donā€™t like your surroundings you will be miserable- and on the contrary getting to know a new place and falling in love with it is such a simple pleasure, as is the affectionate familiarity you develop later.

On the job though I would say, start there. And I would start to look for things in your current role (ha Iā€™ve just seen the new post above write the complete opposite) Yes you may have to pay for a few train trips over the Pennines but at least to begin with I think it is worth it -youā€™re still in employment after all. A job is something you donā€™t want to get wrong (if you can possibly avoid it anyway.) As much as anything itā€™s a faff starting any new role so you want to do as little of that as possible. And more seriously you want to find the right thing, with the right prospects and right people. And you donā€™t want to be the new girl forever!
If you move right away, then look for a job, the pressure will inevitably build up and you sound a bit nervous about that from your post anyway. You donā€™t want to be in a position where you are saying yes to something simply because you have to.
I donā€™t knew what you do but you sound smart and together enough to have some savings so I strongly doubt it will take 6-8 months , but Iā€™d at least give yourself a head start and send off some applications from where you are now before moving at the very LEAST.

Also where you work could inform where you end up leaving. I appreciate this is less of a consideration outside of London but itā€™s still nice to be able to add a commute time to pros and cons of a place. It will be stressful trying to move and get a new job all at once. You mention commuting to Manchester potentially. Would it be doable to commute from where you live now to a theoretical new job in Leeds? Oh wait that is a possibility you mention. So yeah I think you priories 1.job 2. Place to live 3. Rest of your life.....

That is a decent saving for someone of 22 - itā€™s a shame to use them unless you really have to. I had a month between jobs in February and due to how long it takes to get set up on a payroll didnā€™t get paid for the new one till over a month there. It really does put a dent in your finances having nothing coming in - obviously but also it was worse than I expected I suppose because I didnā€™t adjust my spending appropriately....

Anyway Iā€™m rambling about myself, time to sign off. Good luck !! Let us know how you get on ?

I would try and find a job first unless you have somewhere to live sorted, you might find it difficult to get a tenancy otherwise if youā€™re renting.
I moved across the country to a Bristol and it was the best thing I did! Good luck šŸ˜Š

Fantastic, you are at a perfect age to explore and try new things before ā€œsettling downā€.
If I were you I would even consider moving abroad for a bit.
However if you want to start small I would say move and commute as it may take a while to find a job.
Goodluck šŸ–¤

Wow thank you everyone for your replies. I wasn't expecting so many so early on.

I had thought about moving abroad but I am on the fence about it too much.

I sometimes feel like we know what is best for us but having someone else verify what you are thinking can be really beneficial. I think I just have to take the hit financially with a commute instead of having to live off savings.

Reactions: 3
I used to live down the road to Leeds (York)
I simply outgrew it and wanted to leave
it took me 5 years to pull up my big girl knickers and move 190 miles away
my biggest regret is not doing it a lot earlier
if you hate it or outgrow it then just move on/back home
ive always said Iā€™d move back if I started to hate the place I moved to-and so far so good
york is my roots-here is my wings

You don't sound stupid at all, you're considering a major change in your life and I think it's always good to seek the thoughts of others who may have done something similar. I've never moved far from my home town in Berkshire as I've always been happy here, but I can understand that's not going to be the same for everyone, so if you think you'll be happier in Leeds I see no reason not to go for it. One word of caution I would give you is with regards to giving up your job first. At the age of 51 I have been in the jobs market a long time - I have also had jobs I've hated and been desperate to leave, but every employment agency I've ever approached on this subject has repeated the same advice - it is always easier to find a new job when you already have one. That advice has stood me in good stead over the years. Whatever you decide to do, good luck and I hope you find the right city and job for you.

My partner and I recently moved to Leeds from London. Iā€™d lived there for 18 years, from Scotland originally. Am a lot older than you (40šŸ˜¬) but we just decided we wanted a change. I know absolutely no one here but had had been for work a few times and loved it. So Iā€™d say go for it. We live Leeds already and only been here a couple of months. In terms of places to live it really depends on your budget and how close youā€™d like to be to the centre. In terms of meeting people thereā€™s loads going on and if you move into a house share that might help you. I was lucky I was able to transfer my job and my partner had just finished a contract and picked something else up almost straight away. Iā€™d say try to have a job to go to, but thatā€™s just me. Loads coming up here...new channel 4 building and studios next year. Good luck

I say go for it. I'm 31 and still live in the town I grew up in. Life is short and only we can make the changes to improve it. If you have somewhere to live then I'd move first and then job hunt. Not sure what type of work you do but I'm sure you could get something in a 6 month time frame. Have you checked websites to see what type of jobs are available?

Leeds is great ...perfect if you want big city vibes but on a smaller scale if that makes sense. itā€™s getting pricier to live here though because itā€™s so popular! I used to commute from Leeds to Manchester for work and itā€™s exhausting, but Iā€™m a lot older than you!
I would look for jobs in and around Leeds first! You want a good work life balance after all. thereā€™s lots of opportunities here... good luck

A little update... as much as I hate my job, my work actually has a small office in Leeds. I'm going to speak to my line manager tomorrow to see if a transfer is an option šŸ¤ž I could just put up with it until I have 2 years on my CV. I have only been there 8 months and that is why I am so concerned I won't find a job straight away.

Reactions: 5
If they can get you a transfer thatā€™s great. Means you have a job and less panic to get something, can take your time looking for something else. Good luck. Let us know what they say

Hey, I know a lot about Leeds. Private message me if you have any questions. Sounds like you should move there from what youā€™ve said! I can recommend a few areas. Chapel Allerton is a very nice, leafy part of north leeds. lots of bars and restaurants. Itā€™s expensive to buy there, Iā€™m not sure about renting. Full of Young professionals who are a bit old for the student areas of Headingley or burley but still want a bit of liveliness.

Headingley - lots going on but quite studenty. There are young professional lets etc.

Kirkstall again is quite a young area with a decent young people/ student population.

If I could choose itā€™d Be Chapel Allerton any day :)

Hey, I know a lot about Leeds. Private message me if you have any questions. Sounds like you should move there from what youā€™ve said! I can recommend a few areas. Chapel Allerton is a very nice, leafy part of north leeds. lots of bars and restaurants. Itā€™s expensive to buy there, Iā€™m not sure about renting. Full of Young professionals who are a bit old for the student areas of Headingley or burley but still want a bit of liveliness.

Headingley - lots going on but quite studenty. There are young professional lets etc.

Kirkstall again is quite a young area with a decent young people/ student population.

If I could choose itā€™d Be Chapel Allerton any day :)
Amazing, thanks for this!

I am currently looking at places close to the train station just in case I still have to commute to Manchester for a few months. Will be keeping this in mind when I look for something more longterm to rent when I move jobs.