Most ridiculous job interviews (red flag?)đŸš©

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The only reason we do our jobs is for MONEEEYYY it shouldnt be such a taboo subject but it is o_O
I know you know what I hate, when they’re like ‘why do you want this job’ and I always wanna say errrrm cos I wanna get paid witch

• Haha
Reactions: 14
What a brilliant post! Thank you❀ this is super helpful. Thank you for all the tips and intel 🧐
Interesting you mention the civil service. My friend has applied for a role in the Irish civil service(currently works In the UK as a civil servant) and she said the process is so awful that you'll only end up with those who can't be employed.
It's seems a change has happened in the past decade from 1 or 2 rounds to a ridiculous jumping through hoops process.
I am happy to give you my experiences although this is the first time in 3 years I have looked/applied for jobs and wow it's so different.
I have my pre interview/interview for that ridiculous company on Friday.
I've decided when salary expectations are raised I'll say I don't know enough about the role and your expectations to be able to give a ball park figure....I'll ask them to tell me more so I can make a more informed (guess 🙄) decision of the salary.
I'm not enamored or hold any expectations of this company but I can't wait to do my pre interview interview. Guarantee it'll be ridiculous and a waste of time.
@Inforapenny you’re welcome. I’ve been through too many dodgy experiences as a job hunter myself to not see red mist when I hear of people being mugged off, though it sounds to me like you’ve got your wits about you!
Your friend is spot on with what she has said about Civil Service recruitment. In fact I would recommend to anyone currently not employed within the Civil Service to think twice about ever applying to work in the Civil Service. It’s a test of anyone‘s patience and sanity just to get your foot in the door!

Please do let us know what the outcome is of your pre-interview! If it were me if they start asking you what seem like formal interview style questions, I’d be tempted to be cheeky and say, “hadn’t you best save some of these questions for the subsequent 5+ rounds of interviews you’re planning to have?” ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
At one interview they said "improvise a stand-up comedy set then an impromptu song-and-dance routine."

"Five other funeral parlours are seeing me," I answered.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I’ve had afew.

“Your shift pattern will be Sunday - Thursday 07:00 - 15:00. All applicants MUST be flexible”

why do I need to be flexible if my shift pattern is above? Basically you’re expecting me to work longer? Red flag. Go away.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I interveiwed for and was hired immedietly for a bus company as a driver. Sent off for my PCV/provisional and went back for a 'driving assessment' 3 weeks later. Now, I had only been driving a year (and had actually learnt to drive to become a bus driver at the ripe age of 32) and I know im not the best driver in the world, but the way I was treated while being 'assesed' was horrific. Never driven a bus before (obvs) and the instructor was utterly vile to me for the 90 minutes i was on the road in a 40ft vehicle, having gone from a Peugot to what might as well have been a space ship. I left in tears as they begged me for a 2nd assesement with another instructor, as they were desperate for drivers. When i got home i opened up facebook and that company had put a post out saying they were having to cut services due to high levels of drivers leaving. The replies were 300+ saying they werent surprised as they treat staff like tit, pay was tit, hours were tit. If i had gone with them I wouldve been on less pay, more hours and zero control of my rota. Dodged a bullet big time!

In 3 weeks I start at a council, working from home, more money, fully flexible with my kids and I am so goddamn thankful that instructor was awful to me and saved me making the wrong decision!

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I interveiwed for and was hired immedietly for a bus company as a driver. Sent off for my PCV/provisional and went back for a 'driving assessment' 3 weeks later. Now, I had only been driving a year (and had actually learnt to drive to become a bus driver at the ripe age of 32) and I know im not the best driver in the world, but the way I was treated while being 'assesed' was horrific. Never driven a bus before (obvs) and the instructor was utterly vile to me for the 90 minutes i was on the road in a 40ft vehicle, having gone from a Peugot to what might as well have been a space ship. I left in tears as they begged me for a 2nd assesement with another instructor, as they were desperate for drivers. When i got home i opened up facebook and that company had put a post out saying they were having to cut services due to high levels of drivers leaving. The replies were 300+ saying they werent surprised as they treat staff like tit, pay was tit, hours were tit. If i had gone with them I wouldve been on less pay, more hours and zero control of my rota. Dodged a bullet big time!

In 3 weeks I start at a council, working from home, more money, fully flexible with my kids and I am so goddamn thankful that instructor was awful to me and saved me making the wrong decision!
So pleased to hear this đŸ‘đŸŸ
It has to be a 2 way process.
I'm way too long in the tooth to now go with my begging bowl.
When an nterview is crappy the company is crappy.

Reactions: 4
I know you know what I hate, when they’re like ‘why do you want this job’ and I always wanna say errrrm cos I wanna get paid witch

if i was hiring i would view that as a total positive, i appreciate honesty. in the same way i think asking about weaknesses is usually pointless "im too hardworking" 😂

• Haha
if i was hiring i would view that as a total positive, i appreciate honesty. in the same way i think asking about weaknesses is usually pointless "im too hardworking" 😂
Omg my weaknesses in an interview would be ‘sometimes I don’t know when to take a break and I’m too passionate and take too much on myself’

When actually my weaknesses are ‘I’ll probably spend half my day in the kitchen chatting tit, I live for the office drama, sometimes I AM the office drama and I’m only here because you’re paying me’

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Omg my weaknesses in an interview would be ‘sometimes I don’t know when to take a break and I’m too passionate and take too much on myself’

When actually my weaknesses are ‘I’ll probably spend half my day in the kitchen chatting tit, I live for the office drama, sometimes I AM the office drama and I’m only here because you’re paying me’
my real ones "i spend most of my days on tattle bitching about the company i work for. also poor timekeeping and an addiction to coffee which will be timeconsuming if we dont have an in Office machines. when can i start?" 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I hate the weaknesses question. If I told the truth that I will do the absolute bare minimum without making it look like that way, there’s no way I’d get the job 😂😂😂😂.

• Haha
Reactions: 12

I use to work in retail and at my annual performance review talk/chat thingy, I said that exact thing to my manager, she asked why do you do this job? or something similar and I just spelt it out for her - cause I need to get paid so I can pay my rent/mortgage. This manager hated me so she wasn't exactly happy with my response.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I feel everyone's pain of job applications and interviews, (am looking for a new one)

For @Inforapenny - could their multi-step gruelling process just be a way of them getting their hands on fresh strategic ideas or marketing campaigns for free? You've got yo wonder what's in it for them to have this relentless endurance thing going on?

Reactions: 1
I feel everyone's pain of job applications and interviews, (am looking for a new one)

For @Inforapenny - could their multi-step gruelling process just be a way of them getting their hands on fresh strategic ideas or marketing campaigns for free? You've got yo wonder what's in it for them to have this relentless endurance thing going on?
I thought this too. I'm coming from a strong well known global company.
I'm dubious

Reactions: 2
Thought I'd give an update.
The interview was intense and the interviewer was absolutely lovely to me which I suppose was a positive I ended up sharing loads of strategies of how I currently run things in my current company with the interviewer saying at least 3 or 4 times "oh wow that's a good idea, I'm going to use that myself" (which I was a bit fucked off at).
Got to salary and I said I needed to think about this due to the conversation (we'd just had about the set up of the role etc).
So apparently their talent team are going to email me the salary band for the role.
Haven't heard anything yet. I have an overwhelming gut feeling I'll never hear back.
I should be charging by the hour. I'll invoice them the bill.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Thought I'd give an update.
The interview was intense and the interviewer was absolutely lovely to me which I suppose was a positive I ended up sharing loads of strategies of how I currently run things in my current company with the interviewer saying at least 3 or 4 times "oh wow that's a good idea, I'm going to use that myself" (which I was a bit fucked off at).
Got to salary and I said I needed to think about this due to the conversation (we'd just had about the set up of the role etc).
So apparently their talent team are going to email me the salary band for the role.
Haven't heard anything yet. I have an overwhelming gut feeling I'll never hear back.
I should be charging by the hour. I'll invoice them the bill.
Thanks for the update. Can’t say I’m surprised the interviewer said to you she was going to use your ideas. Like another poster remarked they were probably using a “recruitment exercise” as a means to do this.
I think you should invoice them for your time!

Reactions: 1
I'm raging, its been a few days I've heard nothing and they took my ideas 😔 I feel pissed off.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Over the summer a guy on LinkedIn posted about his dismay of having to go through around 5 rounds of interviews, over months to only be snapped up by another company in the meantime.
It seems that companies are starting to really make hiring ridiculous. People are calling it breadcrumbing and then ghosting candidates.

Anyhow fast forward and I'm applying for jobs. I got an email from head of said company asking for an interview in the new year. Great. However I now believe this 'interview' to be an interview for the interview đŸ„Ž
They sent through their interview process and I'm now really unsure about the company and if their recruitment process is a piss take??? Is it a massive read flag???
Have they just got a tit policies, is this a bad sign?

I've been told after the first interview I need to expect up to 6 interviews plus interviews in between at their discretion.
If I get through all of this I have to have a written test that is between 4 to 10 hours long.
(I went to uni/I studied at Cambridge uni,that's on my CV so I'd like to think this makes the above slightly redundant).

On top of this they have not disclosed the salary and their policy is that they will decide on a salary depending on experience and this is no negotiable. I found the wording quite spikey and aggressive.

Has anyone else had this experience? Some of my friends have had a few too many rounds of interviews but this seems ridiculous? Am I right to be thinking this is a red flag?

PS it's NFP charity.
Haha this could be my boyfriend! I know he posted something on linked in about the long process of interviews for a job and the amount of time it took for him with the effort he put in but now he works for another company. He said it was an awful process.

How can companies do this? I went for an interview a few years ago and took 2 months to hear from them that they wanted to progress to the next stage. By then I was already 2 weeks into a new job. Crazy.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
It's so rude! It should be a 2 way process. The company should be doing all they can to prove they worth working for.