Most ridiculous job interviews (red flag?)🚩

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Over the summer a guy on LinkedIn posted about his dismay of having to go through around 5 rounds of interviews, over months to only be snapped up by another company in the meantime.
It seems that companies are starting to really make hiring ridiculous. People are calling it breadcrumbing and then ghosting candidates.

Anyhow fast forward and I'm applying for jobs. I got an email from head of said company asking for an interview in the new year. Great. However I now believe this 'interview' to be an interview for the interview 🥴
They sent through their interview process and I'm now really unsure about the company and if their recruitment process is a piss take??? Is it a massive read flag???
Have they just got a tit policies, is this a bad sign?

I've been told after the first interview I need to expect up to 6 interviews plus interviews in between at their discretion.
If I get through all of this I have to have a written test that is between 4 to 10 hours long.
(I went to uni/I studied at Cambridge uni,that's on my CV so I'd like to think this makes the above slightly redundant).

On top of this they have not disclosed the salary and their policy is that they will decide on a salary depending on experience and this is no negotiable. I found the wording quite spikey and aggressive.

Has anyone else had this experience? Some of my friends have had a few too many rounds of interviews but this seems ridiculous? Am I right to be thinking this is a red flag?

PS it's NFP charity.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
For me personally if they didn't want to disclose the salary I'd have been like bye, to me it sounds ridiculous expecting you to go through all that an they aren't even going to disclose everything about the job including the most important part which for most people can be a huge decider

Honestly unless it's a top CEO position that's paying over 100k a year I think they are asking way to much, surely your CV an a good hour long interview is enough to decide if you are good enough or not, I'll never understand why companies want more than one interview when you should be learning everything about the person an if they are right or not inside the first interview

I'd maybe go for the first interview, it will let you see the place an met them, an take a notepad of questions you want to ask, you can usually get a vibe off people when you first met them an just follow your gut feeling, how they approach you, how they greet you, do they look you up an down, are they genuinely intrested in YOUR questions, do they seem interested or are they just sounding bored, do they keep eye contact or look around the room, will they give you a date they will contact you back or just give the "I'll talk soon" bs which means they couldn't have cared much, how a person reacts around you tells a lot, also its important to take in the surroundings, do you sense uncomfortableness there or does it seemed relaxed, how are people working, do they seem tense or speaking with others, observing everything can speak volumes in knowing if its for you

Reactions: 10
Yes! I had 5 interviews recently and was rejected after the end. Actually I wasn't that bothered because after that many interviews it was pretty clear they were looking for someone different to me. If was ridiculous though but they at least did them all in one week. I was knackered at the end. Forgot! I had to do a test too!

ETA it wasn't by any means any sort of senior role. I saw the CEO, CTO and CFO. They must spend their entire lives interviewing!

Reactions: 6
Without salary information you can't know if you would even be able to afford to work for them / apply for a mortgage in the future. There is clearly a huge difference between £19K a year and £190K a year and I would want that information, as a minimum before I invested any time in the interview process.

Reactions: 13
That sounds ludicrous to me. I know of a former colleague who was going for a senior position as an experienced hire in another company; got through 4 rounds of interviews, they called him for a fifth and he told them thanks but no thanks essentially. They called him again with some spiel about how he basically almost had the job but by that time he had lost all interest and they were obviously gutted.

It completely puts people off, and rightly so.

Reactions: 18
I would not even give that company the time of day. A 4 to 10 hour written test? Are they insane? I can’t even concentrate for that long.
I once went for a job that was 3 interviews and a role play that I had to record and upload. They made me wait TWO MONTHS for them to get back to me, and then to be told I didn’t have enough experience. It was horrid.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
Actually that's a good point about salary. I only stuck with the 5 interview madness because they were paying double what I'd seen for most similar roles and they were clear on the amount from the first interview.

I should add too after all that they ghosted me and only replied when I asked them what was going on. That's the only thing I was annoyed about, after I invested that time the least they could do was let me know. I don't buy that people are too busy, software can be automated to send out rejection emails, they are just rude.

Yes! I had 5 interviews recently and was rejected after the end. Actually I wasn't that bothered because after that many interviews it was pretty clear they were looking for someone different to me. If was ridiculous though but they at least did them all in one week. I was knackered at the end. Forgot! I had to do a test too!

ETA it wasn't by any means any sort of senior role. I saw the CEO, CTO and CFO. They must spend their entire lives interviewing!
I'm so irritated because I'm hearing this more and more. These companies are arrogant and entitled in my opinion. I was trying to work out the interview process for this job I've applied for and it would be months because of the lengthy process. That's not on .

Without salary information you can't know if you would even be able to afford to work for them / apply for a mortgage in the future. There is clearly a huge difference between £19K a year and £190K a year and I would want that information, as a minimum before I invested any time in the interview process.
Yep. I don't know if it's for 20k or 90k and that makes it disconcerting.
Even if I do through months of interviews what if the salary offer was 10k less than my current role.
I also didn't like the no negotiation policy they have in their paper work.
This together with the no disclosure of salary seems to suggest it's crappy pay.

Actually that's a good point about salary. I only stuck with the 5 interview madness because they were paying double what I'd seen for most similar roles and they were clear on the amount from the first interview.

I should add too after all that they ghosted me and only replied when I asked them what was going on. That's the only thing I was annoyed about, after I invested that time the least they could do was let me know. I don't buy that people are too busy, software can be automated to send out rejection emails, they are just rude.
Yes I've heard of this so many times, being ghosted. It's utterly shocking

Reactions: 2
I'm so irritated because I'm hearing this more and more. These companies are arrogant and entitled in my opinion. I was trying to work out the interview process for this job I've applied for and it would be months because of the lengthy process. That's not on .
yes agreed, the only reason I stuck with it was because they moved so quickly, if they'd dragged it out I know I'd have lost interest.

I think companies need to be clearer and move quicker. Surely it must be obvious that they risk losing out on good candidates to companies who move quicker if they drag their heels?

Reactions: 1
On the job application I tick all the boxes, my CV clearly shows my experience and academic background blah blah blah
BUT if you have such a shoddy HR and application process then I doubt very much that the job application I've read and applied for is actually anything they're looking for.

The irony is it's a charity.

Reactions: 4
I don't think many companies even read applications and CV's anymore. I think a lot is those ATS systems (which are the reason you get those rejection emails 10 minutes after applying).

A charity was the worst job I ever had. Rubbish wage and constantly expected to do more for no reward. Do you work for a charity now?

In the topic of the thread though I've had loads of interviews recently. I have actually got a job now. I actually like interviews and have met some great people but also a few nutters.

The guy who ran a web design company who refused to allow anything other than 9-5 in the office everyday. No flexibility allowed, even though the nature of the work can be done anywhere.

And my personal favourite the guy who told me he was sacking his entire 6 person operations team the next week and I would replace them. By the end I was counselling him trying to persuade him not to. He was weird and it was bizarre. He was very firing happy and I could see potential for a huge employment tribunal further down the line.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Also shows where your charity "donations" are ending up - in tiresome processes rather than on the front line!

Reactions: 16
I don't think many companies even read applications and CV's anymore. I think a lot is those ATS systems (which are the reason you get those rejection emails 10 minutes after applying).

A charity was the worst job I ever had. Rubbish wage and constantly expected to do more for no reward. Do you work for a charity now?
Oh gosh my friend told me last night about AIs picking CVs! And even AIs interviewing candidates 😯

I currently work in Higher education/university which is notoriously tit for pay....which I imagine are like charities.
I've worked for non for profit before but not a big charity like the role I've applied for.
It's a director role but what on earth that means as nothing has been specified like pay grade, the team you will be managing blah blah blah
My 'interview' is in the new year. I'm absolutely 100% its a waste of time but good for interview practise nonetheless and now I'm kinda curious.

Also shows where your charity "donations" are ending up - in tiresome processes rather than on the front line!
Paying for HR to make jobs for themselves.

I think it's a poor reflection of the organisation.

In the topic of the thread though I've had loads of interviews recently. I have actually got a job now. I actually like interviews and have met some great people but also a few nutters.

The guy who ran a web design company who refused to allow anything other than 9-5 in the office everyday. No flexibility allowed, even though the nature of the work can be done anywhere.

And my personal favourite the guy who told me he was sacking his entire 6 person operations team the next week and I would replace them. By the end I was counselling him trying to persuade him not to. He was weird and it was bizarre. He was very firing happy and I could see potential for a huge employment tribunal further down the line.
Congratulations on your new job!

Wow, I mean at the very least it's great if you're nosey and I am so I am looking forward to my zoom interview in the new year.

The employment market is good at the moment and I'm not in any rush. Thank god.

Sod that.
If there’s more than one interview or no salary shown upfront then they can do one. You’re not a dog, no need to jump through hoops for people’s entertainment.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm sorry that is insane! Even to get into a top graduate scheme I only had three stages and they, you know, paid for my masters!

Why would a legitimate company want to waste their time interviewing constantly? Is it a test of patience?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I feel empowered by the objective responses I've received.
At first I thought I was being a bit negative but actually it's total bollocks. Going with my begging bowl for a job that doesn't even state the salary, I'm not doing the pick me dance. No way.

I'm sorry that is insane! Even to get into a top graduate scheme I only had three stages and they, you know, paid for my masters!

Why would a legitimate company want to waste their time interviewing constantly? Is it a test of patience?
The language they have used in their policies and procedures is verging on aggressive and arrogant. I've been round the block a few times and I've interviewed before and it's been say 2 interviews and sometimes a written task max.

I don't know who they think they are.

And I've been on loads of interview panels and I always want candidates to do well or at least feel they've been given a chance.

And you tend to know within the first few minutes of Interviewing if you've found the right candidate. You read CVs, you read their personal statements and then you interview and know.

Reactions: 3
I've been in the workforce for 30 years now and one day I'm going to write a book about the temp jobs I did back in the 90s and early 00s and the various bizarre interviews I've had over the years. One of the worst recruitment process experiences I ever had was for a local charity, it was so bad. A lot of employers fail to recognise that interviews are a two way process - it's not just about the interviewee impressing them, it's about the company impressing you as well. Nowadays I have a list of 'deal breakers' which is short but immovable and I am much more confident about reading red flags and not pursuing something that I feel would not be a good fit for me. I've even offered feedback to companies on their interview/recruitment process on occasion.

The company I work for now are going down the lines of an increasingly laborious recruitment process and also decided not to disclose the salary at the point where people apply. I'm quite friendly with our HR manager and I've pointed out to him that some of the stuff they've put in place would put me off applying and I'm not sure I would actually get my job if I applied for it now :ROFLMAO: given the level of ridiculous hoop jumping they want. He doesn't entirely disagree but says that they've had such trouble recruiting and made a few quite high level mistakes in the last year that they are trying to be more thorough. I get it for more high level roles that require a certain skill set and experience, but putting PA's and Customer Service people through 3 interviews and a literacy/numeracy test while not disclosing the salary is ridiculous. I wouldn't even agree to go for an interview unless they were prepared to tell me the salary range at least. Then they moan they are having trouble recruiting :rolleyes:.

It's a shame as my company is pretty good to work for, but their recruitment processes don't inspire confidence at those initial stages.

I've been in the workforce for 30 years now and one day I'm going to write a book about the temp jobs I did back in the 90s and early 00s and the various bizarre interviews I've had over the years. One of the worst recruitment process experiences I ever had was for a local charity, it was so bad. A lot of employers fail to recognise that interviews are a two way process - it's not just about the interviewee impressing them, it's about the company impressing you as well. Nowadays I have a list of 'deal breakers' which is short but immovable and I am much more confident about reading red flags and not pursuing something that I feel would not be a good fit for me. I've even offered feedback to companies on their interview/recruitment process on occasion.

The company I work for now are going down the lines of an increasingly laborious recruitment process and also decided not to disclose the salary at the point where people apply. I'm quite friendly with our HR manager and I've pointed out to him that some of the stuff they've put in place would put me off applying and I'm not sure I would actually get my job if I applied for it now :ROFLMAO: given the level of ridiculous hoop jumping they want. He doesn't entirely disagree but says that they've had such trouble recruiting and made a few quite high level mistakes in the last year that they are trying to be more thorough. I get it for more high level roles that require a certain skill set and experience, but putting PA's and Customer Service people through 3 interviews and a literacy/numeracy test while not disclosing the salary is ridiculous. I wouldn't even agree to go for an interview unless they were prepared to tell me the salary range at least. Then they moan they are having trouble recruiting :rolleyes:.

It's a shame as my company is pretty good to work for, but their recruitment processes don't inspire confidence at those initial stages.
This is so insightful and interesting to read.

My question is should I just outright ask them in my initial meeting the salary range?

Reactions: 1
I went through a ridiculous interview procedure without knowing the salary and when they offered me the job the salary was an insult. I was young and naive but now would never go through that process without knowing the salary and would ask, if it wasn’t forthcoming then red flag 🚩

Reminds of another interview I went to (again when I was young and didn’t have the confidence I have now) where the Director asked me would I be wearing similar clothes to the ones I was wearing now if I were successful (I had on a suit) as he liked his women to wear smart clothes. 🚩🚩🚩🚩 What a head. Coming to an Employment Tribunal near you soon…

• Wow
I went through a ridiculous interview procedure without knowing the salary and when they offered me the job the salary was an insult. I was young and naive but now would never go through that process without knowing the salary and would ask, if it wasn’t forthcoming then red flag 🚩

Reminds of another interview I went to (again when I was young and didn’t have the confidence I have now) where the Director asked me would I be wearing similar clothes to the ones I was wearing now if I were successful (I had on a suit) as he liked his women to wear smart clothes. 🚩🚩🚩🚩 What a head. Coming to an Employment Tribunal near you soon…
Bloody hell 😲 what a total nob!
Yeah I have a sneaky feeling that even if I did go through the process and get an offer the salary would be laughable.
There is a reason they're not publishing it

Have had a quick look at the other jobs they're advertising. One thing that struck me is there are no deadlines or start dates.
This is another 🚩🚩🚩🚩