MOD & FOD #31 Stay Alert -> Delete the Comments -> Save Sponsorships

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agree with all the posts about no time for ‘influencers’ on insta posting their lives / kids / make up selfies / just being to garner their following. Unless you’re an actual friend, why would I want to see that and be told what to wear and buy by you? No thanks!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Absolutely agree. Instagram (while it’s nowhere near the same as it was when it first started) is still one of the best social media platforms around. You just have to be following the right people. And all the ones who made it such a tit place for others before we got wise to their tactics of pimping their kids and monetising every fart are now getting their comeuppance. So it’s still a great place to be even if it’s just for the lolz from the shitstorm that’s currently brewing.

Which btw, I’m not making light of racism or the BLM movement which is, ofc, highly commendable but it’s great to see all these influencers turning on each other and calling everyone out. It’s just warms my cold little heart to see a light being shone on the absolute hypocrisy and previous holier than thou attitudes of some of the mumfluencers. You love to see it 🤣
YES!! These people are honestly like cockroaches scuttling away from an atomic bomb. No new information has come out regarding CH’s behaviour, the only thing that has changed is public opinion. It’s no longer safe to ignore your friends/peers racist rants, even if previously the racism clearly didn’t bother you. These lot just want their free Regetta and bless em are doing bits to keep it :’)

The man doesn’t care about any bleeping one, else he would have donated even £100 from that AXA IWD cash as a token gesture. He is literally THAT selfish. But you’ve got tier C influencers doing free PR, for what 😂 It’s a thankless task as our contributor proved in trying to engage with him after IWD - the bloke doesn’t care about white women what chance do BAME communities have?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
They’re all awful. All of them. SODs, Candice, Susie V, Budget Clem...
It’s like how the sort of people who want to be politicians are absolutely the last sort of people who should be politicians because they’re, power-hungry narcissists.
Let me explain in some detail what I think, I agree with this part about this influencer level.
They all sit around and pat each other on the back whilst pulling up the ladder behind them. They love the power/fame arrogance of being ’looked up to’ by the minions. I have called it before that the land of the influencer is one big MLM racquet and I would still like someone to break out the bubble and to write the tell all book about some of the behaviour that must go on.

I think Instagram used to be like that. I really don’t think it’s like that any more. Maybe I’m following the wrong people, but anyone I follow who’s not just one of my mates is growing a following just so they can sell stuff. It’s one big ad platform and market place now.
I don’t really understand how I’m ‘bringing Tattle down’ by saying that.
However I can‘t agree that everyone on Insta isn’t good, it is too big a generalisation and if anyone reads the bad rap that tattle gets and then reads that comment they won’t go further into the behaviour that tattle is calling out, they could just think...oh they think everyone is bad I won’t bother reading.

I also do understand what you mean about the market place and ad platform, it is also so sad when you follow someone and suddenly it changes into adverts and sadly that happens in other Insta accounts that just mumfluencers.

I do follow lots of people who inspire me; gardeners, foragers, artists, ceramicists, silver smiths, Interior designers, chefs, home cooks, dogs, home sewers, mums, personal trainers, and more.

What I love about tattle is that we can have this discussion, I can see what you mean about sales. When I think about the list I have just suggested I can actually see that some of those people are trying to sell to me and yes I have bought prints from some artists but I wouldn’t have found them without insta and I love their work but that doesn’t make them ‘not good’.

Does that make sense?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Let me explain in some detail what I think, I agree with this part about this influencer level.
They all sit around and pat each other on the back whilst pulling up the ladder behind them. They love the power/fame arrogance of being ’looked up to’ by the minions. I have called it before that the land of the influencer is one big MLM racquet and I would still like someone to break out the bubble and to write the tell all book about some of the behaviour that must go on.

However I can‘t agree that everyone on Insta isn’t good, it is too big a generalisation and if anyone reads the bad rap that tattle gets and then reads that comment they won’t go further into the behaviour that tattle is calling out, they could just think...oh they think everyone is bad I won’t bother reading.

I also do understand what you mean about the market place and ad platform, it is also so sad when you follow someone and suddenly it changes into adverts and sadly that happens in other Insta accounts that just mumfluencers.

I do follow lots of people who inspire me; gardeners, foragers, artists, ceramicists, silver smiths, Interior designers, chefs, home cooks, dogs, home sewers, mums, personal trainers, and more.

What I love about tattle is that we can have this discussion, I can see what you mean about sales. When I think about the list I have just suggested I can actually see that some of those people are trying to sell to me and yes I have bought prints from some artists but I wouldn’t have found them without insta and I love their work but that doesn’t make them ‘not good’.

Does that make sense?
It’s about who you’re exploiting to make money

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Do you know what has really got my goat sbout this whole MOD / FOD racism saga? Clemmie effing Telford. She is literally besties with MOD. Just look back to the birth of Greta - Clemmie was the first to visit, and is sat next to a virtually naked Telford. Yet Telford has NEVER addressed her connection with Mod post alicegate - and is now so far up CB's ass it's unreal. Why is no one calling CT out on item?!
I have a memory of Clemmie doing some kind of I’m so hurt and betrayed, naming-no-names, type post sometime Around Alice gate. Really can’t remember but pretty sure she’s not followed FOD for quite a while. DLAM on the other hand is as cosy as ever, never uttered a peep. She seems to very much from the here for the lols school, not admitting it pays for her entire vacuous life

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes it is, that has simply said what I mean.
An artist selling me some prints, a lovely potter selling me their mugs is authentic. I have direct access to their work.

An influencer flogging me some bleach, a regatta coat, some cereal etc etc that they don’t use and making the #ad #af tiny in white print in the corner is at a different level and as the previous poster said...not good!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I have a memory of Clemmie doing some kind of I’m so hurt and betrayed, naming-no-names, type post sometime Around Alice gate. Really can’t remember but pretty sure she’s not followed FOD for quite a while. DLAM on the other hand is as cosy as ever, never uttered a peep. She seems to very much from the here for the lols school, not admitting it pays for her entire vacuous life
I mean Clemmie T

Reactions: 2
An artist selling me some prints, a lovely potter selling me their mugs is authentic. I have direct access to their work.

An influencer flogging me some bleach, a regatta coat, some cereal etc etc that they don’t use and making the #ad #af tiny in white print in the corner is at a different level and as the previous poster said...not good!
Absolutely agree. I’ve bought via Instagram from jewellery makers / small crafters / ceramicists, etc. It’s their work, their craft and their passion.
And I have learnt so much on Instagram as well - more so than on other SM platforms - simply because you CAN pick and choose and 🙄 curate what you want to see.

• Heart

Yes, I completely agree with this. This is what I meant, I just worded my original post a bit clumsily.

Authentic businesses like potters and artists are not what I'm talking about. Although I stand by my marketplace comment, because they're still using insta to sell - they're just selling their own products, not other people's. As soon as you start selling third party stuff, you sell out. Because you've lost impartiality and credibility.

I can't speak about the support and therapeutic Instagrammers because I don't follow them and I don't know what they're about.

But this ^^^ sums it up for me. Someone who is genuinely growing followers for an account that exists for purely altruistic reasons is exempt from this debate. But so much is done by stealth that I'm suspicious of all big accounts. Anna Mathur is a good example. She started out as a psychotherapist giving advice to anxious new mums and it felt authentic. Then once she hit an inflection point with her audience, she realised she could make some money from #ads and the account stopped ringing true and started to feel exploitative.

• Heart
She was one of the "you don't know the whole story/whats been going on behind the scenes" posters. She couldn't NOT say something, but it was very non committal.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Someone who is genuinely growing followers for an account that exists for purely altruistic reasons is exempt from this debate. But so much is done by stealth that I'm suspicious of all big accounts. Anna Mathur is a good example. She started out as a psychotherapist giving advice to anxious new mums and it felt authentic. Then once she hit an inflection point with her audience, she realised she could make some money from #ads and the account stopped ringing true and started to feel exploitative.
Good discussion and it helped me think about Instagram too. I just find it so sad that we get labelled a covern of witches when actually if they read here, like really read here and really listened, there is some great advice being given and some interesting discussions happening.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
She was one of the "you don't know the whole story/whats been going on behind the scenes" posters. She couldn't NOT say something, but it was very non committal.
Yep and now it's all been forgotten and Clemmie T is having her ass kissed by CBs audience?? Joke! It's so insidious!!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Good discussion and it helped me think about Instagram too. I just find it so sad that we get labelled a covern of witches when actually if they read here, like really read here and really listened, there is some great advice being given and some interesting discussions happening.
I love a good insta-debate.
My eyes have been opened wide since I started posting on here. It’s important to have a space to be able to scrutinise and critique this stuff properly.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve just messaged Farrow & Ball, Ca Pietra and Divine Savages asking are they happy that their brands are are being tagged and associated with accounts linked to woman who was called out for being racist.
Love this lets all do it so hopefully they will contact the SODs and request to stop being tagged🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Yes, I completely agree with this. This is what I meant, I just worded my original post a bit clumsily.

Authentic businesses like potters and artists are not what I'm talking about. Although I stand by my marketplace comment, because they're still using insta to sell - they're just selling their own products, not other people's. As soon as you start selling third party stuff, you sell out. Because you've lost impartiality and credibility.

I can't speak about the support and therapeutic Instagrammers because I don't follow them and I don't know what they're about.

But this ^^^ sums it up for me. Someone who is genuinely growing followers for an account that exists for purely altruistic reasons is exempt from this debate. But so much is done by stealth that I'm suspicious of all big accounts. Anna Mathur is a good example. She started out as a psychotherapist giving advice to anxious new mums and it felt authentic. Then once she hit an inflection point with her audience, she realised she could make some money from #ads and the account stopped ringing true and started to feel exploitative.
And Anna was writing a book that whole time, so it wasn’t authentic at all- she was building an audience!! Couldn’t believe that when she started touting it.

If any “influencer” is making you feel inadequate you’ve got to stop and wonder what they’re trying to sell you.

Unfortunately that’s how people sell - find a problem (in MODs case, mothers who have lost their way in some way) remind them of that problem, then show people that they have the solution and it’s going to cost, but hey, I’m your friend because I’m a mum too, and I’m to be trusted because I’m a midwife. And look at my gorgeous children and my stylish (!) clothes. I have the coolest friends and there’s no need to feel lonely if you join our gang of #mamas. You too can have it all of you buy into this...

It’s exploiting women, plain and simple.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I know it's The Rules to ignore and move on, but still, I'd just like to say that every single contributer ignoring the messages from someone who shills her kids trying to distance herself from FoD who also shills his kids (but, like, more racistly) has given me life this Friday lunchtime.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
If any “influencer” is making you feel inadequate you’ve got to stop and wonder what they’re trying to sell you.

Unfortunately that’s how people sell - find a problem (in MODs case, mothers who have lost their way in some way) remind them of that problem, then show people that they have the solution and it’s going to cost, but hey, I’m your friend because I’m a mum too, and I’m to be trusted because I’m a midwife. And look at my gorgeous children and my stylish (!) clothes. I have the coolest friends and there’s no need to feel lonely if you join our gang of #mamas. You too can have it all of you buy into this...

It’s exploiting women, plain and simple.
Omg 100000000% this. I am not joking when I say they are genuinely our enemy, they’re the most insidious form of sales / brand comms and they’re genuinely dangerous. Sorry to say it yet again but @myfrugalyear on insta’s book has an entire chapter on them and it should be like mandatory reading for every young woman in this country so we can see the wood for the trees. The ASA is failing an entire generation of women (and tbh I’m sure cross generations! But the IVA data shows that it’s growing fastest in younger women) in their lax approach to regulating the industry.

Again if you look at MFY’s account and read the comments, or nosy on their profiles, you see there’s a whole community on insta of women who are documenting their debt management journey. So many of them have been ~influenced into this unsustainable lifestyle, by women who get it all for free! As someone else on this thread said about their holiday, if you see someone who “looks like you” doing these things you assume it’s safe to proceed. The influencers aren’t there for the rest of your tight year, or worse when you have to call Barclays up cos you’re over your overdraft limit.

Like it really winds me up, and makes me angry, I’m not debt shaming or saying it’s impossible to recover from (the opposite, I want women to be protected from something that is awfully inhibitive to your life progressing and damaging to your mental health), however I can say without a doubt that Instagram has changed the course of my sister’s life? Yes there is personal accountability but I think insta is so intoxicating - she followed 1.3k different accounts FILLED with images of just... stuff to buy. She got into a debt that’s higher than her gross annual income in buying bits, like nothing mental like Chanel bags were literally just talking makeup palettes and outfits it was just the sheer volume of it. She’s had to enter a DMP that’ll take her a decade to pay off. She then gets to start at 0 at 40, she’s on an avg income so what are the chances of her being able to buy a house? Most mortgages don’t let your term exceed you being 65, so she either needs a huge deposit or huge monthly repayments - neither of which are viable. That’s going to be the reality for a fair few of these guys’ audiences!

And sorry to rant but this isn’t even getting into how disgusting it is to target pregnant women. I’m going through this stage now and it’s a constant battle in what do we NEED versus what are we being told we need or feel guilted into buying. I’m actually speaking a lot to older women to ask for recommendations because I know they’re not tainted by the cult of insta mama. I have the benefit of years of therapy and a stark warning in my life and I still find it an utterly exhausting exercise, most women are struggling through their pregnancies just trying to do what they think is best for baby and being cruelly duped. It’s a horrible and shameful industry that doesn’t yield anything positive other than lining the pockets of the chosen few.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.