Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

houseofhoop

VIP Member
So ASA have replied to my complaint. Cut and paste below:

Thank you for contacting us with your concern. The complaints we receive are very important, because they help us to build a picture of the types of issues that affect both consumers and businesses.

Your complaint

I understand that you believe that the Instagram Story and Post by Simon Hooper was an undisclosed marketing communication for CaPietra tiles and Westone Bathrooms.
Our rules

Marketing communications should be obvious when they are engaging with advertising material.

Our decision

In this case, I note that the Influencer has now updated their post to include a ‘#Ad’ identifier at the beginning of the post. However, as we appreciate that this post was originally uploaded without these identifiers, we have been in touch with Mr Hooper and the brands involved to provide them, and remind them, with regard to what we expect of brands and identifiable as such. Consumers should be aware influencers on social media.

Thank you once again for taking the time to raise your concerns with us. Comments such as yours help us to understand the issues that matter to consumers and we will keep a record of your complaint on file for use in future monitoring.

• Heart
Reactions: 82

Yel

Chatty Member
Full title by @Cassandra Cain

if you’re having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got 999k followers and my wife ain’t one

Keeping at 999k because it scans better, hope that's ok?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74

Pommes

Chatty Member
We’ve found the loo roll but the big question is.... where is all Simon’s period paraphernalia?!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 59

PoorPatrol

VIP Member
I never ‘got’ the reno in any way, even when still following MOD with interest, after they moved. Their move initially really piqued my interest, because I love period properties and doer uppers. We have always had to properly renovate, starting with a broken dump, because we can’t afford to buy something already lovely or usually even live-able! What I’ve never understood with the SODs, is where was there anything that came with them? They have had every single thing new, down to the last picture frame, chair, whatever. When we move to a new shithole, we have to carefully pack up all the beautiful (to us) artwork, all the amazing things we’ve picked up from around the world, all sorts of antiques and handed down things, and then we work towards being able to safely unveil it all in its new home. Where is their life? Where are their hard-won memories and mementos? How can you not have any sentimental value attached to anything? I think the ‘reno’ has really showed MOD up for who she is, I mean HER specifically, because it was always put as being her that was driving the stupid reno. I think that the fact that she hadn’t even attached to so much as a random picture or cushion or anything, just shows what a soulless cow she is. She barely seems attached to her family, to be fair!

• Heart
Reactions: 54

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Hey si if you're reading: Maybe on international women's day (8th march) you could write a post about how much effort you made trying to raise strong young women, instead of just reducing them down and putting the focus on their genitalia.

MOD 22: #AD's all dried up, but there's still jizz, old school pics and draughty VICTORIAN bricks ?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52

motherofdonkeys

VIP Member
This house thing has really bugged me. This is how I see it, like an episode of Bake Off, the previous owners have rocked up with their own recipe and design, that they've been working on for months, it's highly original, looks and tastes great and has everyone going 'wow'.

The OD's arrive with a pre made gifted cake, their input is sliding it out the box and onto a cake stand. They're both looking flustered and exhausted, moaning how much hard work it was carrying it in from the car while the nanny looks after the twins.

• Haha
  • Heart

Instawho?

it's brilliant eh?! I commented on his post about this and was considering adding a #ifyouknowyouknow but then felt bad for the actual company!
You have a great future thread title there though.....Clemmie's lost her wandalust and Slymon's lampshade is full of dust 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

aerisghost

I dont want to defend the OD's.. but they were allowed to reno it. They brought it. They can do whatever they fucking well like.
This is totally true, of course.

The reason it pisses me off though it that he preaches about reduce, reuse, recycle (ironically on his way to the tip that one time) but they moved into a house that was SO renovated that it featured in an actual magazine (it's been said before, but Google "Old doctors' surgery Ramsgate" to see, or "Real Homes Magazine" and Google images will show you the front cover pic which is of their old kitchen) but still thinks it's OK to take brand new recently installed stuff and dump it so they can talk about their new bedroom/bathroom/kitchen.

I actually remember when Clemmie posted about the redoing their kitchen and quite a few people were incredulous about the fact that they were tearing out this brand new stuff and MoD and FoD both piled on any negative comments by being really defensive about how they were trying to reduce wastage as much as possible.

IMHO they've chosen a public life; if it weren't for the people watching they wouldn't have the resources to do all this stuff. Therefore, if they wanted to renovate they should have bought a fixer upper OR been ready to deal with people's opinions. Even an honest "we know this might seem wasteful, to re-do a recent renovation. The thing is, this is our forever home. We have the resources to do this now; who knows when those resources will run out? Life is a funny thing so we're striking whilst the iron is hot and making it just the way we want it while we can. Anyone in the area who wants any of the units we're getting rid of feel free to DM etc etc"

They're good at making their house look spectacular and going on loads of lavish holidays but they are terrible at image management. What a brilliant opportunity getting rid of any re-usable furniture/fixtures/whatever would have been to help kit out a local community centre or shelter or whatever. They could literally have their cake and eat it too if they were more community minded and less selfish.

Sometimes you can listen to criticism and go YANO WHAT, YOU'RE RIGHT! and actually come off all the better for it. Instead they are so dismissive and defensive and take nothing on board and it makes them look like privileged, entitled arseholes who don't realise they'd be nothing without those commenting.

I love Instagram for sharing images and seeing what people I'm friends with, or people I don't know but respect and admire, are up to, but I've had a huge cull of people who went from being the latter and turned into under the radar sales people because it's horrendously insidious.

Sorry that got a lot rantier than I intended it to. Hope everyone's having a nice Sunday! xx

• Heart
Reactions: 48

HouseRed

I don’t know, to me it’s set up. Trouble is, when you witnessed almost 100% of his posts and noticed they are set up, you do treat everything with a pinch of salt. To me it looked like a set up because he’s obviously got the phone on reverse screen, so he can see what’s going on behind him. He’d have to be pretty dim not to realise what was about to happen. Then again… I may have just said what we all think…!
Imagine if we had woken up to the headline “Local Kent man knocks himself out filming Instagram LOLs - 4yr old twins found half a mile away, dancing for passers by”

• Haha
Reactions: 46

Dogmuck

VIP Member
Fucking hell - I’m almost starting to feel sorry for them (is that their plan?) this is a fucking slow motion car crash I’m watching. Sly I know you’re here so here’s some good sound advice (#gifted) - do yourself a favour, you vacuous narcissistic cunt, give up ffs, you’re not the man you think you are in your head, you’re not Hugh Grant or any other male lead from a shit Brit romcom, you are something between Alan Partridge and the “alive”chuckle brother. Have some respect for yourself and throw that towel (gifted) in because you are embarrassing me and I don’t even know you...imagine how your oldest daughter feels.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

Pink Post It

Chatty Member
The previous owners are now being shady on Instagram? (If I've been reading right). That's petty. That's life. You sold it, you dont get a say anymore.
The previous owners aren’t doing anything other than posting historical renovation photographs to evidence the work undertaken by them on a former property. Certainly nothing ‘shady’ 🙄

They’re entitled to feel offended (if indeed they do) by the lies that SlyBot has written and to evidence how far from the truth his written word actually is.

All they’re doing is proving him a liar. They’ve not written anything other than a descriptive piece explaining how the former GP surgery was transformed, by them, into a home.

I imagine they must be fairly annoyed at the allegation that the beautiful Victorian home they sold to the SODs was nothing more than ‘a draughty pile of Georgian bricks’.

I’m sure many of us would feel the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 43