Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

murphy

Just an idea but is there anyone here that would be good at writing a letter about children being used as performers online with no regulation? Then we could all send it to our MP (I'm sure thousands across tattle would want to) and hopefully one of them will pick up the cause.
I've been working on this for a while and had a very productive meeting with two local MPs where we agreed to put something together to put before Parliament. This was off the back of the Online Harms White Paper which recommended Ofcom take over as regulator of online platforms.
Existing Ofcom rules around children clearly state that the interests of the child are paramount and even if a parent wants a child to perform their wishes can be overruled by the regulator. This is in line with the law around safeguarding generally and also the shift from the idea that the parent has 'rights' to the notion, stemming from the amended children's act, that parents have responsibilities, not 'rights' over the child.

In the States they call it 'paramountcy', the notion that the needs of the child are paramount. There are so many examples in family vlogs where the needs/best interests of the child are ignored,. Privacy, freedom from ridicule, ability to develop autonomy, the right to dignity and freedom from exploitation for profit, and many more.
My aim is to bring the same regulations into the online world that already exist in the offline world.

I have had contact with all major stakeholders including the NSPCC and the National Network for Children in Employment and Entertainment and have had an overwhelmingly positive response to the need for change.

Things have been temporarily halted due to the General Election but I'm all ready to go in the new year. I also have an academic interest in some of the issues that family vlogging throws up such as the 'gaze' of the viewer mediated by the parent, the abuse of parental power, and how family vloggers typify the libertarian, free market impulse of the tech giants where traditional regulatory principles and accountability are ignored in favour of creating your own moral universe, not answerable to anyone, in the pursuit of huge personal gains. Its no accident that many family vloggers, especially in the States, choose to homeschool their kids.

Anyway..I won't derail the thread. If anyone wants to get involved please message me. There's strength in numbers and I am finding it hard doing it all alone.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 101

GreyWolf

VIP Member
A perfect idea for a new book!
That’s not my FOD he’s got a real live wife.
That’s not my FOD his ad is too transparent
That’s not my FOD he’s not embarrassing his daughters.
That’s not my FOD he paid for his meal
That’s my FOD
3ED16796-E471-42CA-8AC1-6D358153EF34.jpeg

Talking utter shit and selling his kids.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
I unfollowed MOD very quickly. She seemed so sour and unhappy with her (quite considerable) lot. I’m surprised by the number of people saying they found her the least objectionable of the two. To me she reeked of the school bully, the mean girl, leading her gang and destroying anyone who didn’t agree with her or meet her cool girl gang standards. She seems so very miserable - even in the way she speaks, slow, sardonic, depressed even. She seems to despise her husband and seems to want to avoid having to have anything to do with her children at every opportunity. Maybe she’s not like that, maybe her instafame did that to her, maybe it was a miserable existence and she did this deliberately to get out. Whatever it is, I hope she’s learning from the experience. You just know she was that school bully don’t you? I hope that (if she was, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that she was) she now understands what it feels like from the other side, what those kids felt like and how it’s probably still affecting them as adults. Sucks on the other side doesn’t it Clemmie?

• Heart
Reactions: 61

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
@murphy that is fascinating and perhaps worthy of its own thread in the off-topic section? As I would love to follow along with the campaigning in the new year as it happens and I’m sure others would too. It’s such an important topic, thank you for what are you doing.

Reactions: 52

CrouchEndTiger

‘Celebs’ telling me to give is LITERALLY MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE IN LIFE

fk off. You give you rich tight tax avoiding fktards

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52

String Man

VIP Member
I'm sure this must have been mentioned before (not a regular on the ODs threads) but FOD looks like a Poundland version of Nick Knowles.

This is not a compliment btw; Nick Knowles is also a massive twat.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49

Pain of chocolate

Been following this thread since the DRAMA! and feel like there's so many unanswered questions still...

The main being, what did Clemmie actually do?! Was it really just the Alice thing? Because other than the racist comment (I feel funny writing that because I don't want to sound dismissive, I think that was really serious) the comments about the instamums who kicked off weren't all that, really. It makes me think- given her suspected activity here under the second account (and probably more?)- surely there must be something more she's admitted to that warrants how seriously not just the T3 mums but her insta friends have taken it.

The next is- why now?? I know this has been raised before but just no answers. All this happened until March. Six months later, suddenly the instamums are posting (or if they want to seem like they're keeping their hands clean and want to continue to earnestly lecture the masses to "be kind", getting their friends to post) these emotional outbursts about the Alice who has been inactive for half a year? Both Alice and Clemmie thought the Linen Lady is called Courtney Amando.

Personally, I don't find it all that weird or alarming that Clemmie isn't being featured on Simon's posts. It's very plausible she just asked not to be, it wouldn't be that big a deal. And I also don't think it's the end of the world that he went to Abu Dhabi- a popular tourist spot- to watch the Formula 1- a popular sport. Abu Dhabi has a poor human rights record. So do many, many other popular tourist countries. South East Asia is particularly beloved by English tourists right now and it's not doing too great human rights wise. The hotspot of Sri Lanka has great sunsets viewable thanks to the brutal end of a recent civil war. Some of the commentary here makes it sound like he went for a spa weekend in ISIS.

However I totally agree with the discussion about exploiting his children- especially his big gimmick, the twins- for money. I think it's really sad and good on you all for the thoughtful and hopefully paradigm shifting discussion.

First post, over and out!
So many things to say but I'll just stop at ISIS isn't a country

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46

Percycat

I was advised by my Midwife to bottle feed as I just couldn’t feed as my milk didn’t arrive. It makes me so angry that in this day and age it is frowned upon if you don’t breast feed.

Surely to god it is down to the Mother and Baby and what is best and what works for them. I was gutted I couldn’t feed myself but I don’t care what people think of me, but my child never starved, never brought up or turned out any different from a breast fed Baby.

Don’t get me started on people giving Mothers dirty looks for doing it in public, it is the most natural thing a Mother can do...
I had my first child at age 39, nine years after being diagnosed with breast cancer and having a double mastectomy. Never assume anything!
Ps That child is now 5, has the Reading age of a nine year old and has never had a day off school with I’ll health (although fair enough she has only been attending for 18 months). I think I had three “oh you’re not breastfeeding” comments with the first child. Each time I took enormous pleasure in explaining that I’d had breast cancer so I couldn’t.

• Heart

Bla bla bla yawn

Hi, long time lurker and first time poster..
I think the biggest mistake I’ve made with this whole ‘Alice’ saga is assuming MOD has been in pieces, devastated and ashamed off screen and I did pity her and worry about her mental state given FOD seemed to be completely writing her off.. However when in FOD stories today she’s bold as brass smiling for the camera with 0 fucks given, she isn’t hurt or humiliated in the slightest. She’s just another level of twat.

• Heart

Twinkle

He's had the same formula on repeat for years. It's boring and tedious. Not to mention unethical. At least mod tried to diversify by pretending to read inclusive fact/ fiction, interiors and luxury holidays. Everyone I know hates fod far more than they dislike mod.
My depth of contempt and disgust for this man is matched only by how I feel about the government right now. I really hope lawmakers in the future protect children from their parents using them in this manner. To put your own interests above the privacy of your child is...well, there are no words really. Except wanker.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43

Leonora

Aw bless, he’s been so busy with sick kids and work, trying to have all these conference calls, yet still he manages to find the time to photograph it all, make it into a pretty little story and post it all on instagram. Instagram likes and comments are his drug. He can’t even give it a break when his family are unwell. For gods sake man, turn the damn thing off and focus on your family’s wellbeing.
Yes this ! As a single momma currently dealing with a very poorly 2 year old I can assure you last thing I’m thinking about it posting about my daughter throwing up on instagram.

Just thank you so much -all you ‘awful tattle trolls’..my eyes have been well and truly been opened and not just about The ODs but the whole instamum thing I’ve wasted far too much time comparing my life too ✌🏻✌🏻

Reactions: 40