Missing people or murder cases you want to be solved #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not a missing or unsolved case, but I cannot believe that Colin Pitchfork is going to be released imminently. 🤬

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

So what's gone on here then? Suspect is from the same-ish corner of London as the victim, and was picked up relatively quickly, so presume victim and suspect were known to each other.

Why decapitate them, and why take the remains 250 miles away?
this is such a bizarre case, i can’t get my head around the decapitation - such an uncommon thing for a woman to do if it is the person named by police, and why go all the way to devon to dispose of her body?

Reactions: 9
this is such a bizarre case, i can’t get my head around the decapitation - such an uncommon thing for a woman to do if it is the person named by police, and why go all the way to devon to dispose of her body?
I've asked the same questions on the real life crime thread about this one.

Reactions: 4
Has anyone watched The Investigator: A British Crime Story on Netflix? It’s a bit annoying because the sole selling point of the series for Netflix is clearly that the series is presented by a plummy English journalist so it does kind of veer into cheese territory but the case in the first series is very interesting. It’s about the disappearance of Carole Packman. It was ten years before her husband, Russell Causley (he changed his name by deed poll to the surname of his mistress. The mistress who sold her flat, gave Russell and Carole the proceeds and moved in with them and their daughter…), was convicted of her murder, even in the absence of a body. He only got caught because he faked his death in an insurance scam and the police looked again at Carole’s disappearance. The mistress, Patricia Causley, one hundred percent knows more than she’s ever let on, and has done all kinds of delightful things, such as working in Canada under Carole’s work permit, and pretending to be Carole in order to sign half the family home over to herself. The saddest thing is that Russell has changed his story about how Carole died numerous times and has never disclosed how he disposed of her body. You can tell it kills their daughter not to know what happened to her Mum. I’m pretty sure he’s been released now, too.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Has anyone watched The Investigator: A British Crime Story on Netflix? It’s a bit annoying because the sole selling point of the series for Netflix is clearly that the series is presented by a plummy English journalist so it does kind of veer into cheese territory but the case in the first series is very interesting. It’s about the disappearance of Carole Packman. It was ten years before her husband, Russell Causley (he changed his name by deed poll to the surname of his mistress. The mistress who sold her flat, gave Russell and Carole the proceeds and moved in with them and their daughter…), was convicted of her murder, even in the absence of a body. He only got caught because he faked his death in an insurance scam and the police looked again at Carole’s disappearance. The mistress, Patricia Causley, one hundred percent knows more than she’s ever let on, and has done all kinds of delightful things, such as working in Canada under Carole’s work permit, and pretending to be Carole in order to sign half the family home over to herself. The saddest thing is that Russell has changed his story about how Carole died numerous times and has never disclosed how he disposed of her body. You can tell it kills their daughter not to know what happened to her Mum. I’m pretty sure he’s been released now, too.
Yeah, I watched it when it was originally shown on ITV. I found it quite boring to be honest, as it is painfully slow and dragged out, and Mark Williams-Thomas is something of a self serving opportunist in my opinion.

I gave up on the second series after one or two episodes as it was even worse!

Yeah, I watched it when it was originally shown on ITV. I found it quite boring to be honest, as it is painfully slow and dragged out, and Mark Williams-Thomas is something of a self serving opportunist in my opinion.

I gave up on the second series after one or two episodes as it was even worse!
It was on ITV? That blows my made for the Americans theory out of the water, then.

I agree with you on MW-T, too. I don’t feel like he added much. He burnt a pig to show that it’s apparently possible to cremate a human on a domestic bonfire, but didn’t seem to do much else. If anything, in fact, he seemed to inflame the situation further by writing so many effing letters. Russell Causley is obviously a massive control freak - pre- and post-crime - and it really felt like all this ‘begging’ for information really played into his hands, and also served to further discredit a lot of the evidence they had (e.g. about Patricia fraudulently claiming to be Carole) because Russell was painted as such an unreliable witness.

I’ve just read this story, I hadn’t heard of this missing young man. How incredible he’s been found and will hopefully be back in England with his family soon. I wonder what he’s being doing since he went missing 😦

Reactions: 10

I’ve just read this story, I hadn’t heard of this missing young man. How incredible he’s been found and will hopefully be back in England with his family soon. I wonder what he’s being doing since he went missing 😦
I saw the post on Facebook saying he'd been found and the guy had got in touch with his mum. From the comments it seems like he has some mental health difficulties, his mum said she didn't want to scare him. Strange how he's ended up in Sweden, leaving the country takes some sort of planning. Perhaps he'd gone on a holiday and had a breakdown while he was there or something.

Reactions: 6
I saw the post on Facebook saying he'd been found and the guy had got in touch with his mum. From the comments it seems like he has some mental health difficulties, his mum said she didn't want to scare him. Strange how he's ended up in Sweden, leaving the country takes some sort of planning. Perhaps he'd gone on a holiday and had a breakdown while he was there or something.
If you go up north in Scandanavia, it's very easy to move around countries. The borders aren't exactly water tight.

• Wow
He is annoying, but isn’t just a journalist. He was actually a detective and FLO with Surrey Police for 11 year, so has the background skills. The issue with his series is it is too drawn out and in the end comes up with nothing new.

He is annoying, but isn’t just a journalist. He was actually a detective and FLO with Surrey Police for 11 year, so has the background skills. The issue with his series is it is too drawn out and in the end comes up with nothing new.
Ah, yeah, he mentioned he broke the Jimmy Savile story? Well, to be honest, that’s even worse - Sam allegedly contacts him for help out the blue, they make a documentary and still find nothing. I honestly think that the UK should adopt Australia’s policy of no body, no release. Why should he be free while withholding such a crucial bit of information? I know prison is not meant to be some vindictive punishment, but there has to be some way of making him talk.

Reactions: 2
Ah, yeah, he mentioned he broke the Jimmy Savile story? Well, to be honest, that’s even worse - Sam allegedly contacts him for help out the blue, they make a documentary and still find nothing. I honestly think that the UK should adopt Australia’s policy of no body, no release. Why should he be free while withholding such a crucial bit of information? I know prison is not meant to be some vindictive punishment, but there has to be some way of making him talk.
Someone is campaigning for this. Her daughter was murdered and he won't reveal where her body is. Her mother wants him to stay in jail until he reveals where her daughter is.

Reactions: 3
Someone is campaigning for this. Her daughter was murdered and he won't reveal where her body is. Her mother wants him to stay in jail until he reveals where her daughter is.
It was Helen McCourt’s mum who started this, but the scumbag was released last year without revealing where she is!

That law only requires an offender to show that he/she has reasonably cooperated with law enforcement in order to locate a missing body, but if the body is not found they can still be released and actually Australia’s sentencing is far far worse than ours!

It was Helen McCourt’s mum who started this, but the scumbag was released last year without revealing where she is!

That law only requires an offender to show that he/she has reasonably cooperated with law enforcement in order to locate a missing body, but if the body is not found they can still be released and actually Australia’s sentencing is far far worse than ours!
Yes, I believe the law simply states that the parole board must now take it into consideration. That's all. It's definitely not "no body, no release" as the media have incorrectly reported.

But it's a difficult one and one I'm afraid I can't get all steamed up over.

Ian Simms, the person convicted of Helen McCourt's murder has always maintained his innocence to my knowledge. He served much, much longer than his minimum term, which was sixteen years - he actually served 31 years so almost double - and a psychiatrist (I think it was IIRC) concluded that no matter how long he was kept in prison, he would never reveal where the body was.

So what do you do? What if, by some tiny chance, he didn't commit the crime and can't reveal where the body is? This goes for other no body cases as well. And I am absolutely not against no body convictions. I think sometimes circumstantial cases are far stronger than cases with direct evidence. And I've watched every episode of Cold Justice 😂

Personally, I think he did it but he more than served his time.

Ah, yeah, he mentioned he broke the Jimmy Savile story?
To be honest, anyone reading the Digital Spy forums 15 years ago could have broke the Jimmy Saville story 😂 But Mark Williams-Thomas will dine out on that for rest of his life!

Reactions: 2
Yes, I believe the law simply states that the parole board must now take it into consideration. That's all. It's definitely not "no body, no release" as the media have incorrectly reported.

But it's a difficult one and one I'm afraid I can't get all steamed up over.

Ian Simms, the person convicted of Helen McCourt's murder has always maintained his innocence to my knowledge. He served much, much longer than his minimum term, which was sixteen years - he actually served 31 years so almost double - and a psychiatrist (I think it was IIRC) concluded that no matter how long he was kept in prison, he would never reveal where the body was.

So what do you do? What, by some tiny chance,if he didn't commit the crime and can't reveal where the body is? This goes for other no body cases as well. And I am absolutely not against no body convictions. I think sometimes circumstantial cases are far stronger than cases with direct evidence. And I've watched every episode of Cold Justice 😂

Personally, I think he did it but he more than served his time.
I absolutely agree he did it and I think what’s worse is there was no real reason behind the crime, other than the reported argument with another female - I think his girlfriend at the time.

Suzy Lamplugh’s suspected killer is also potentially up for parole in 2022. Her case is the one that has stayed with me my whole life. I wish they could find her.

I don’t think any sentence other than a whole life term is long enough for murder, but we will never agree to harsher sentences in this country. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 5
I absolutely agree he did it and I think what’s worse is there was no real reason behind the crime, other than the reported argument with another female - I think his girlfriend at the time.

Suzy Lamplugh’s suspected killer is also potentially up for parole in 2022. Her case is the one that has stayed with me my whole life. I wish they could find her.

I don’t think any sentence other than a whole life term is long enough for murder, but we will never agree to harsher sentences in this country. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I think a whole life term for every single murder is very excessive personally. I'm glad we live in a country that believes in the possibility of rehabilitation rather than, for example, the USA, where they think nothing of locking up a sixteen year old kid and throwing away the key. And they would give them the death penalty if they could. But that's what happens when you have a justice system based on religion and revenge. All wrong.

But I do think the sentencing guidelines need to be reviewed particularly the fifteen year starting point for just a "regular" murder that doesn't involves weapons, sadism, sexual conduct, committed for gain etc etc. Because, if you plead guilty, that can be reduced even further and that has happened - the case of Quyen Ngoc Nguyen who was murdered by two people (raped by one officially but I think they both did) who had both been jailed for other murders, both pleaded guilty, got reduced sentences, met in prison then went on kill her together. And sometimes a murder by a slow beating is far, far worse than a stabbing for example. Fifteen years just isn't enough in my opinion.

As for John Cannan, I doubt he'll be going anywhere.

Last edited:
Did anything ever come of the young girl that vanished abroad somewhere, she was staying with her family in sort of jungle type accommodation. They found her weeks later, on her own in the jungle. She had died of starvation but her parents suspected foul play. I can’t remember her name, was it Nora?

Did anything ever come of the young girl that vanished abroad somewhere, she was staying with her family in sort of jungle type accommodation. They found her weeks later, on her own in the jungle. She had died of starvation but her parents suspected foul play. I can’t remember her name, was it Nora?
Nora Quoirin - she died in Malaysia. It was recorded as ‘misadventure’, but they don’t believe anyone else was involved.

Yeah, Nóra Quoinin. The last I heard was that the high court in Malaysia had overturned a coroner’s verdict that her cause of death was misadventure with no foul play or anyone else involved. Poor girl.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.