Misheard lyrics

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Came across Peter Kay's misheard lyrics sketch today and it reminded me of a friend of mine from schooldays who always managed to hear song lyrics completely different from the rest of us.

Two of her best ones had to be George Harrisons 'I got my mind set on you' or as she sang it 'A goblin might sit on you'
The other one was ZZ Tops's 'Sharp dressed man' According to her it wasn't 'Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man', no it was 'Everybody's crazy 'bout a SHORT ARSE MAN!' 😂 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn2-b_opVTo

Has anyone else got an embarrassing misheard lyrics?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I'm grabbing popcorn, this is going to be fun.

One song springs to mind, not embarrassing, just funny.

Manfred Mann back in the 60's "hubble bubble toil and trouble" It sounds like hubble bubble toilet trouble.

I'll get my coat.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My friend thought “I am giant” by ragnbone man was “I am trying”. Makes me giggle every time

• Haha
Reactions: 7
The Kooks "Naive" was always sang
as "I know, she knows, i'm not from
Alaska" - turns out it was "I know, she knows,
i'm not fond of asking!" which makes a lot
more sense!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Not misheard just completely wrong...

A bloke I worked with used to sing 'what's going on' all the time which I recognised the tune of but knew they weren't the right words. Then realised it was 'I'm coming out' by Diana Ross 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Call on me by Eric Prydz. There's a line in it which always sounds like 'im saving for a new settee'.

The worst one was when the original Band Aid song came out. My friends sister thought they were singing 'the greatest gift they'll get this year is RICE' 😮🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 37
' Blue' by Joni Mitchell, literally my favourite song to listen to, especially if I need a cry😅 theres a line in it that always throws me off tho which sounds like 'Lots of Ass' which i always like to sing a long to - melodramatically

Reactions: 3
Single Ladies by Beyoncé for some reason I thought it was 'like a goose I'll be gone' rather than like a ghost I'll be gone'

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Came across Peter Kay's misheard lyrics sketch today and it reminded me of a friend of mine from schooldays who always managed to hear song lyrics completely different from the rest of us.

Two of her best ones had to be George Harrisons 'I got my mind set on you' or as she sang it 'A goblin might sit on you'
The other one was ZZ Tops's 'Sharp dressed man' According to her it wasn't 'Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man', no it was 'Everybody's crazy 'bout a SHORT ARSE MAN!' 😂 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn2-b_opVTo

Has anyone else got an embarrassing misheard lyrics?
I also had a friend who was always mishearing lyrics.

The Corrs “go on leave me breathless” she would sing “go on leave me Bradley”.

Also Alice Cooper/Groove Coverage Poison - “you’re poison, you’re poising running through my veins” she’d sing “wild horses, wild horses running through my veins”

One of my own was Billie Jean, “Billie Jean is not my lover” I thought was ‘Billie Jean knocks at my door’, I’m sure he’s doing the impression of a door-knock, or maybe it’s a foot-stomp on that light up pavement as he sings those lyrics which I thought kinda backed my version up but i could be mistaken.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
There’s a song on a mobile phone ad, not sure what it’s called but the line in it is “a little funky sun” and the first few times I heard it I thought it was saying “a little bleeping Sun” and was quite shocked that they allowed that line to be used on an advert.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Until a couple of years ago I thought Postman Pat was “knock, ring, let us through your door” instead of “letters” through your door. I’m 31 🤦🏼‍♀️

Puts rather an aggressive twist on it when you think about it. Postman Pan demanding to be let through your door. Ooh-er.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
When I was tiny I thought Bananarama’s Love in the First Degree was “guilty as a conker tree” rather than “guilty as a girl can be”

And The Kinks’ “Victoria” I thought I’d was “from the rich to the poor, Victoria por favor” rather than “Victoria loved them all” 😂😂😂

Madonna’s Ray of light was “Heiffer in the sky at night” 😂😂😂

ETA I’ve just realised Madonna was older than I am now when she released Ray of Light... I don’t know why that feels so mind blowing, but it does 😂😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
When I first heard Old Town Road I thought he was singing “gonna take my hoes to the hotel room”

My sister then told me it was “horse” which confused me even more because why would he be taking horses to his hotel room??

Got laughed at a lot for that one 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 23
When I first heard Old Town Road I thought he was singing “gonna take my hoes to the hotel room”

My sister then told me it was “horse” which confused me even more because why would he be taking horses to his hotel room??

Got laughed at a lot for that one 😂
When does the horse (or hoes?!) get taken to the hotel room? Don’t they just get taken to the old town road? 😂

I’ve just thought of another. At the start of Saturday Night by Whigfield, my child asked “why are there ducks quacking?”

Listen to it and you’ll see... 😂🦆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Michael Bubles Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas I used to sing 'take a look at the firemans hand' instead of 'take a look at the five and ten'.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
ETA I’ve just realised Madonna was older than I am now when she released Ray of Light... I don’t know why that feels so mind blowing, but it does 😂😂
It feels more scary to me, for she was 39 going on 40 and that’ll be me in less than ten years now. To think that I’m now older than she was in almost all of her 80s hits, I find depressing in a way.

I always hear "don't be afraid to catch fish" instead of "don't be afraid to catch feels" in that Calvin Harris ft Katy Perry song 🤣
My boyfriend still doesn't let me live that one down

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Lean On by Major Lazer - I thought “blow a kiss, fire a gun” was “Marcuuus, Firegun” 😂

A friend thought Exodus (Bob Marley) was “Taxi-bus”

Once heard of someone mishearing the song that goes “I need a miracle, I need a miracle” as “I hate America” which I can’t unhear now!

• Haha
Thong Song by Sisqo. There’s a part where he sings “I like it when the beat goes...” and I always thought he was saying “I like your little billy goat.” 😂 fs. I still sing it like that.

• Haha
Reactions: 5