Michael Barrymore - death in the pool

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you seen the Ariel photos of the home, it ain't small, guest would be spread out so impossible to monitor them all all of the time. I've had parties and only found out that a couple had been boffing in my bed, puffing on a bong in the garden etc Its quite plausible that he had no idea what happened. You have your view and I have mine but I'm certainly not going to accuse him of wrong doing until the police charge him and he's found guilty which I believe is a fair stance to take.
I think a couple boffing in your bed or puffing on a bong in the garden are quite different scenarios to someone being savagely raped and killed in your home. Plus, as you say, you found out about these things. So by that logic, even if Barrymore wasn't party to the crime being committed he would have known shortly afterwards.

I have never said that I believe Barrymore was the one who actually committed the rape and/or murder. I honestly don't know whether he was directly involved or not but I do know that he knows more than he has revealed, he has lied and changed his story and has been involved in a cover-up for more than 20 years.

Reactions: 20
I think a couple boffing in your bed or puffing on a bong in the garden are quite different scenarios to someone being savagely raped and killed in your home. Plus, as you say, you found out about these things. So by that logic, even if Barrymore wasn't party to the crime being committed he would have known shortly afterwards.

I have never said that I believe Barrymore was the one who actually committed the rape and/or murder. I honestly don't know whether he was directly involved or not but I do know that he knows more than he has revealed, he has lied and changed his story and has been involved in a cover-up for more than 20 years.
Not really any different, they were events I had no knowledge of and only found out at a later date when my friends who did the boffing and bonging told me so by that logic I'd never have known what happened unless told.

Not accusing you of blaming him for the foul deeds of that evening I was just saying I won't point a finger until the jury brings in its vote.

Not really any different, they were events I had no knowledge of and only found out at a later date when my friends who did the boffing and bonging told me so by that logic I'd never have known what happened unless told.

Not accusing you of blaming him for the foul deeds of that evening I was just saying I won't point a finger until the jury brings in its vote.
But in the circumstances you are referring to there wasn't a dead body in your home at the end of it so I don't see how they are comparable. If someone HAD wound up dead I'm sure that, as a decent human being, you would have wanted to do everything in your power to uncover the truth. Barrymore ran off from the scene, has changed his story more than once, refused to answer questions at the inquest, tried to blame the NHS and mortuary staff, constantly stated that Stuart drowned even when there is evidence to the contrary and has never used his public profile to actively campaign to reveal the truth.

This is what I have a huge problem with - he didn't even know most of the people at his house that night so would not know what they could be capable of, yet he continues to say that no-one did anything wrong. How can he know this?

So while I agree that a jury are the ones who ultimately should decide (and I only hope and pray that that opportunity comes), even if Barrymore was found not to have committed that evil crime, I still feel he is guilty of wrongdoing in his active attempts to cover up what happened.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
But in the circumstances you are referring to there wasn't a dead body in your home at the end of it so I don't see how they are comparable. If someone HAD wound up dead I'm sure that, as a decent human being, you would have wanted to do everything in your power to uncover the truth. Barrymore ran off from the scene, has changed his story more than once, refused to answer questions at the inquest, tried to blame the NHS and mortuary staff, constantly stated that Stuart drowned even when there is evidence to the contrary and has never used his public profile to actively campaign to reveal the truth.

This is what I have a huge problem with - he didn't even know most of the people at his house that night so would not know what they could be capable of, yet he continues to say that no-one did anything wrong. How can he know this?

So while I agree that a jury are the ones who ultimately should decide (and I only hope and pray that that opportunity comes), even if Barrymore was found not to have committed that evil crime, I still feel he is guilty of wrongdoing in his active attempts to cover up what happened.
Of course they are comparable, both were events that occurred unbeknownst to the host; unknown things happen at parties. Also remember that a lot of booze and drugs were consumed that night which could very easily have prompted his panic and leaving the scene, I'd hope that if his head was clear of booze and drugs he'd have stayed put but...people panic.

You said you will always feel he is guilty of wrong doing and thats fine, thats your choice, I'll wait for the jury to return and thats my choice. Nobody here knows for fact what happened, we are all just speculating.

Anyway, enough of that. Its a tragic event and the family deserve closure, they deserve some peace of mind so lets all hope the police finally get to the bottom of the events of that evening and justice is served on the guilty; lets also hope that all those falsely accused for so long also find peace of mind.

Of course they are comparable, both were events that occurred unbeknownst to the host; unknown things happen at parties. Also remember that a lot of booze and drugs were consumed that night which could very easily have prompted his panic and leaving the scene, I'd hope that if his head was clear of booze and drugs he'd have stayed put but...people panic.

You said you will always feel he is guilty of wrong doing and thats fine, thats your choice, I'll wait for the jury to return and thats my choice. Nobody here knows for fact what happened, we are all just speculating.

Anyway, enough of that. Its a tragic event and the family deserve closure, they deserve some peace of mind so lets all hope the police finally get to the bottom of the events of that evening and justice is served on the guilty; lets also hope that all those falsely accused for so long also find peace of mind.
You say "nobody here knows for fact what happened, we are all just speculating" (which I would agree with) yet you open your post by saying that the shenanigans that went on at your party and Stuart's rape and murder are comparable incidents (a comparison which I have to say doesn't sit well with me due to the magnitude of what happened to Stuart) as "both were events that occurred unbeknownst to the host".

So are you saying Barrymore definitely didn't know about Stuart's rape and murder and, if so, how can you be so certain when we are all, after all, just speculating?

Reactions: 8
Oh dear, I'm not comparing bonking in my bed or bonging in the garden with an horrific death, I'm saying things happen at parties the host is not always aware off, I hope this clarifies my view you and lets leave it at that.

Big house, very easy for him to have no knowledge of what happened. No doubt one or more guest know but Barrymore may have absolutely no idea what occurred.

I'm not a fan of trial by social media but if and when he's charged and found guilty I'll be the first to dive in with a virtual assassination, until then I won't speculate on what might or might not have happened that awful evening. If he is eventually exonerated there will be a lot of online folk who owe him an apology thats for sure.
The problem for me is that Barrymore has actively colluded against the investigation all along with the hiding of evidence, the concoction of the drowning story and originally fleeing the scene when he should have stuck around, which implies nothing good about the man's character or behavior that night. If he truly abohorred what had gone on and had nothing to do with it he would have thrown the others who were responsible to the wolves and helped police with the investigation instead of hiding then getting his manager or whoever to remove what were according to police likely the objects used to rape Stuart from the house before police could take them for testing. How would he know to instruct the manager what to take away from the scene if he didn't know what happened that night?

We also know he fled from the scene with objects taken from the house which mayor may not hold some key to the case. He has also acted - incomprehensibly - as if he and his career were the real victims that night, not Stuart Lubbock.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’d forgotten so many of the details of this case over the years, it’s been interesting reading all your views too. I think the police have definitely known, as far as they can but haven’t been able to evidence, what’s gone on and who’s been involved. Whether MB was actively involved or just in the cover up I’m not sure but he’s disgusting it even commenting on how it’s affected his career/income over the years IMO.

Have you seen the Ariel photos of the home, it ain't small, guest would be spread out so impossible to monitor them all all of the time. I've had parties and only found out that a couple had been boffing in my bed, puffing on a bong in the garden etc Its quite plausible that he had no idea what happened. You have your view and I have mine but I'm certainly not going to accuse him of wrong doing until the police charge him and he's found guilty which I believe is a fair stance to take.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think there is any possible way a violent rape and murder (and subsequent clean up, dragging his body etc) could have happened in this size of house with so few people present without them all being aware. Even if they were all off their face, it’s not big enough to not hear that going on. Particularly MB who was hosting. Obvs I don’t know the layout but I’d bet the kitchen and living/dining room areas all face onto, or open onto, the patio/pool too so they’d have been in the immediate vicinity.

B5BBF418-0AE1-4F37-A37D-E64D7BA629C3.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Use the van for scale and look at the pictures, thats a big house, yes they were off their faces and could have been all but crashed out so it easily have not been overheard. You and I don't know what happened do we? No, we don't. Best wait till after the trial IMO.

No need to quote me again, I have my views and some of you have yours and none of us will change so I'm out of this conversation, its serving no purpose me saying anything else because until the trial theres nothing to say (from me).

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Dont know if these have been shared before, so apologies if they have. The floor plan is the plan from when MB owned the house. MB bought it in 1998 for £392k, he lost it in 2005 when it was sold to help pay off his debts for £802k. It was then resold in 2017 and the photos of inside are the most recent ones available from that sale in 2017, so it wont be how it was when MB owned it but the inside layout should be the same as it was when MB owned it but rooms may have been used for different things dependent on owner preference. It was a 5 bed bungalow so MB could have used rooms for other things instead of bedrooms if he didn't need 5 or swapped and changed rooms around. For example one of the pics shows a bedroom with wooden cladding, this was the extra dining room/study but new owners used it as a bedroom. MB may have done similar.

The last pic is how it looked when he owned it. I did see a video of the inside years ago but I cant find it anywhere online, the estate agent photos make everything look nice and big but the video gave a more accurate picture and it definitely isn't as spacious as the estate agent photos show.

The kitchen didn't overlook the pool area, the window in the kitchen overlooks the back of the house where theres a small yard and seating/out door dining area which is the semi circle seating area you can see in one of the photos. Theres no windows at all in the kitchen that open out onto the pool side.

In the 2nd photo where you see the pool and the house, right at the bottom theres the white part of the house, that's the sitting room, the french doors next to it was the dinning area, the next French doors are where theres a hallway running to the sitting room, dining area and kitchen.

The rooms on right hand side of the pool/jacuzzi were 4 of the 5 bedrooms and 3 ensuites inc steam room plus a main bathroom. The 5th bedroom is towards the back of the house overlooking the semi circle seating area wheres theres also another dining room/study. The garden is 0.45 acres and the house spans 3638 sq-ft. It's an electric gated property making it unlikely there was a intruder nobody knew about in addition to the ones they know were at the gathering. Unless people were in the bedrooms they would have most likely been in the house down the far end of the pool away from the jacuzzi as that's where the sitting room, dining room and kitchen all were plus the outdoor seating area on the other side of house round the back. The room nearest the jacuzzi is the master bedroom which has it's own entrance right at the end of the house near the jacuzzi plus French doors going into the room. It's almost self contained due to layout and having the extra entrances and largest bathroom, some may have used it to get changed in or using the bathroom. Theres a garage that's behind that room too so it's not as large as people may think but still larger than the other bedrooms.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Dont know if these have been shared before, so apologies if they have. The floor plan is the plan from when MB owned the house. MB bought it in 1998 for £392k, he lost it in 2005 when it was sold to help pay off his debts for £802k. It was then resold in 2017 and the photos of inside are the most recent ones available from that sale in 2017, so it wont be how it was when MB owned it but the inside layout should be the same as it was when MB owned it but rooms may have been used for different things dependent on owner preference. It was a 5 bed bungalow so MB could have used rooms for other things instead of bedrooms if he didn't need 5 or swapped and changed rooms around. For example one of the pics shows a bedroom with wooden cladding, this was the extra dining room/study but new owners used it as a bedroom. MB may have done similar.

The last pic is how it looked when he owned it. I did see a video of the inside years ago but I cant find it anywhere online, the estate agent photos make everything look nice and big but the video gave a more accurate picture and it definitely isn't as spacious as the estate agent photos show.

The kitchen didn't overlook the pool area, the window in the kitchen overlooks the back of the house where theres a small yard and seating/out door dining area which is the semi circle seating area you can see in one of the photos. Theres no windows at all in the kitchen that open out onto the pool side.

In the 2nd photo where you see the pool and the house, right at the bottom theres the white part of the house, that's the sitting room, the french doors next to it was the dinning area, the next French doors are where theres a hallway running to the sitting room, dining area and kitchen.

The rooms on right hand side of the pool/jacuzzi were 4 of the 5 bedrooms and 3 ensuites inc steam room plus a main bathroom. The 5th bedroom is towards the back of the house overlooking the semi circle seating area wheres theres also another dining room/study. The garden is 0.45 acres and the house spans 3638 sq-ft. It's an electric gated property making it unlikely there was a intruder nobody knew about in addition to the ones they know were at the gathering. Unless people were in the bedrooms they would have most likely been in the house down the far end of the pool away from the jacuzzi as that's where the sitting room, dining room and kitchen all were plus the outdoor seating area on the other side of house round the back. The room nearest the jacuzzi is the master bedroom which has it's own entrance right at the end of the house near the jacuzzi plus French doors going into the room. It's almost self contained due to layout and having the extra entrances and largest bathroom, some may have used it to get changed in or using the bathroom. Theres a garage that's behind that room too so it's not as large as people may think but still larger than the other bedrooms.
From what I've read of the statements given to the police, the three girls claim they spent the majority of the evening in the kitchen whereas the men all say they were in the bedrooms (Kenney and Merritt in the master bedroom and Barrymore, Futers and Shaw in one of the smaller bedrooms) when they weren't outside in the jacuzzi/pool area.

There was also talk of there having been recent extension work done as I seem to recall Barrymore saying that at some point he took Futers and Shaw to see the newly extended part of the house, taking a torch as it wasn't yet supplied with electricity.

I think this whole discussion about the size of the house is relative because, yes, it is undeniably spacious, but when the papers reported it as "Barrymore's mansion" it made it sound like some huge country retreat with separate wings, whereas it is actually a 5 bedroom bungalow which wraps around the pool area and scene of the crime. Being a bungalow it appears larger initially if one looks at aerial photos but obviously bungalows don't have that second floor accommodation - and this means that everyone was on the ground floor level where the crime was committed.

This and the small number of guests would make it, in my mind, a fairly intimate gathering and, even with music playing and drugs and alcohol being consumed, I don't believe it would be possible to have been in that house that night and have had absolutely no knowledge of what went on.

Reactions: 19
Let’s hope they have enough evidence this time

Oh I really hope they do. I also hope that person then realises what's in store and tells the police everything he knows so anyone who was guilty of anything that night get's what's due.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I hadn't heard of this story until it was featured on They Walk Among Us podcast. I really hope they've enough to charge someone, even if it is only Barrymore for perverting the course of justice/ equivalent charges (I'm not in the UK, unsure of terminology).

Reactions: 8
God, I really hope something comes of this, especially as Stuart's father isn't long for this world now. I would like him to see justice at least begin to be served on behalf of his son before the end.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I hope this means justice is about to be served. I really suspect that one of the people who were in the house came forward with what actually happened due to guilt. Not great evidence, since the police fucked that up at the time but definitely something they can use as leverage with the rest of the witnesses to build a case. I hope MB gets done for perverting the course of justice as well.

Reactions: 12
Let’s hope they have enough evidence this time

Indeed. Sad, though, that poor Terry Lubbock is likely to pass away before any of this sees resolution. At least he will have the satisfaction of knowing that people haven't forgotten his son and his search for answers has not been given up.

• Heart
Reactions: 13