Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Don’t @ me I know it’s September 😆😆

But I was just wondering, what do you do for Christmas?
When do you start preparing!?
What are your favorite recipes or Christmas food to buy for the day?

When do you start shopping?!!! 🥺
In the next few months if you see any deals on toys or ideas for gifts!!! Post them here!!!
Especially if you find kids toys at a cheaper price 😬

Any tips and tricks you want to pass on? 😬
gift ideas for adults, secret Santa.... how to survive elf on the shelf 🤷‍♀️ Best offers on alcoholic beverages all things festive 😎

or just a place to write about your traditions and how much you hate the in-laws 😐

Merry Christmas you filthy animals 😬 only 109 days to go 🤣🤣

Reactions: 15

Practically Perfect

Chatty Member
Well my brood will be 28, 26 and 20 this Christmas but they know mommabear loves Christmas on a Zoella scale so they humour me. On Christmas Eve they (including partners that may be there) STILL have a bath, new PJs, put out Rudolph magic food (oats and glitter) read Twas the Night Before Christmas and are in bed by 10pm.

Once asleep (no peeking or he wont come) Santa arrives and leaves magic footprints from the fire to the tree (flour and glitter and the other half in wellies, stomping around the room grumbling "im not hoovering this shit up)) and then the door to the room gets gift wrapped so no-one can come down and have a cheeky sneak peak. The lovely children then get me up at 5am "He's Been!" (i say Children, its me, with Jingle bells)

The only difference is; rather than dash downstairs i receive a few expletives and then they dash downstairs and instead of having to build barbie houses and scalextrix they play drinking roulette and are wrecked by 10am, they refuse to come to Mass with me and see baby Jesus and then the rest of the day I am in the kitchen (also wrecked) ruining a turkey and dancing to Now Christmas! 5pm everyone has passed out.

8pm wake up to watch 'Enders and crack open the baileys. Drinking games resume.

Bliss. I frigging LOVE it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Elsass

Chatty Member
We always spend loads on fancy advent calendars which I’m stopping this year. Last year between us we had gin, hotel chocolat, Lindt and I’m sure another. I’ve decided this year I’m buying some advent calendars and chocolate tree decorations for the food bank instead as we just don’t need all that, we’re both 28 🙈

This leads into my favourite tradition, my Nan always sends us both an advent calendar with a note saying one a day or he won’t visit! Those are the calendars we’ll have to open 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 9

bubbletea123

VIP Member
We have Christmas by ourselves. My SO's family is across the country and mine are in the UK. We used to travel to my SO's parents but it is a 12-hour drive, we built our house and have a dog so decided to stay at home to make our own traditions.

My SO is Polish so on Christmas Eve, we have Polish food that we make (pierogi, cheesecake, fish, etc). We used to make a British roast on Christmas Day but last year we had Christmas Eve leftovers on Christmas Day and made the roast on boxing day. It was much more relaxing, we stayed in our PJs all day. We make the pierogi and dumpling a month ahead and freeze them as it is a tedious thing to do.

Christmas morning breakfast was smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese, capers, lemon and bellini to drink. We also have Panettone in which we love.

For presents, we do: something to wear, read, need and want. Makes it much easier.
We also do stockings, with things like bath bombs, candles (DW brand is our fav), beard oil, etc.

Reactions: 9

PoorPatrol

VIP Member
Not so much a what we do do, but what we don’t, is I don’t ever change the decorations etc. I spent a fortune on beautiful glass decorations when the children were tiny, and that’s that. I’ve stuck to that because I have such fond memories of my grandmother’s glass decorations, for literally about thirty++ years and I’ve got a real emotional attachment to them. I wanted my children to feel the same when everything gets unwrapped each year, rather than theming or buying new.

That being said, we always buy a Christmas decoration on holiday. For one thing we often go away for a few days before Christmas so there’s Christmassy things around, but actually if you notice they sell them pretty much everywhere you go for the rest of the year. We’ve bought one in a random street in Portugal in August, Amsterdam in spring, New York in winter after Christmas was over. So they’re the only new additions that come along.

We go to the same place as a family each year to buy our tree, and always have hot chocolate with toppings when we arrive home with it and let it settle.

We have some really lovely Christmas themed toys, too. So that box comes out December 1st and they play with the little Christmas sets and start feeling festive. As they’re put away with the decorations for the rest of the year, absence seems to make the heart grow fonder and they’re always thrilled to see the Christmas toys again.

Reactions: 8

Hereforthehottea

VIP Member
Does anyone else get really annoyed at buying lots of nice gifts for people and getting rubbish in return? I’m not talking about people who can’t afford it, I’m not at all well off, the people I buy for are and I either get cheap stuff or joint presents from entire families when I buy for each person?!

• Wow
Reactions: 7

Dannie

Chatty Member
As soon as the kids start back at school I officially start planning. This year it’s been late as my daughter went off to university last weekend. I have ordered my wrapping paper, tags, gift boxes and gift bags, As soon as Matalan have their Christmas stock online I order. I do it then as things seem to go out of stock quickly. This year I have the blush pink Christmas swan theme. My living room as been newly decorated so have ordered new Christmas sacks, stockings and garland to match. Especially now the kids stocking and sacks from when they were little have gone away into the memory box. The elf on the shelf won’t be visiting this year as my youngest now thinks it’s cringe lol. So our four elves won’t be visiting our household till there is a grandchild. This is why I decided now to order new stocking and sacks to show the more grown up household we have.

I have bought two gifts so far but we have strict lists due to lots of holidays next year. We don’t tend to buy outside our little family. Hubby buys for his mum and this year I bought a little Christmas decoration for a friends little boy to put on his tree. Apart from that we don’t buy others.

Traditions are Christmas tree goes up first weekend before the 1st December. The weekend that’s closest. In between we tend to have a weekend visiting Christmas markets, last year was Bath and we want to do Harrogate next year. This year is undecided so far. Christmas Eve we always go for a walk early evening before coming home and have homemade goats cheese and pepper tart, potato gratin and coleslaw. I know it’s not a typical Xmas meal but we had it one year and the tradition as stuck. Then we finish off later on in the evening with port and mince pies. While watching Die Hard. I then put out the stockings. Kids presents are already under tree now they are older. Xmas morning we open our stockings in bed while I drink coffee. Once downstairs Kids and hubby have croissants, orange juice, Buck’s Fizz, etc. I have smoked salmon & Blinis and we open our presents taking it in turns. Then I am in the kitchen with Xmas songs cooking the dinner, while the kids play games or just do their thing which mainly is straight on FaceTime with their friends. I serve dinner at 3 just in time for the queen speech. We watch that and do a toast. After dinner we go for a lovely late afternoon stroll. We come back get our pjs on settle down to the tv. Boxing date we hit the sales. Another reason we don’t want to go mad with presents as both my kids are now older and prefer to shop on Boxing Day, in the night once we get back we have a cheese board with part baked rolls and all the trimmings. New year we went out last year with friends. This year we are planning cinema, bowling and meal out as oldest will be out with her fiends as she is now 18. Will be in our pjs by 8pm . This New year will be me, hubs and the youngest. Cost wise I am being careful due to the holidays we have planned next year and it’s my 40th in March.

Whatever your traditions are tattlers, I wish you and your family a lovely one x

• Heart
Reactions: 7

SoTired

I bought my first Christmas present of the year last week. 😃 One of the kids really likes those Ugg type slipper boots which sell out when it gets colder (found this out last year 🤬) so when I saw them in Next I was right in there.

Over the past few years I've became a bit obsessed with finding what my OH calls my "perfect tree"... resulting in us now having about a dozen trees up the loft. 😳🤣. Each year I'll see another one and I'll order it, OH will moan, I'll say "But, but this one is my perfect tree" and he'll let me keep it and so it goes on. This year I've already been told "NO new tree" but we'll see! 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 6

SoTired

When Marks and Spencer do their 20% off I get knitwear, nightwear or slippers for my Mother and MIL which makes a bit of a saving.
Also sometimes they do a half price sale where I've also bought stuff for them.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
It’s honestly so shit Santa gets the credit for the best gifts,
I remember my mum told us that parents have to pay a monthly subscription to Santa to keep the north pole open (she didn’t use those words it was the early 90’s 😆) so the gifts were actually for parents but Santa made them 🤣🤣

I think I take after her 😬

• Haha

TheMotherHen-Kathryn

My husband and I have just had a major rethink about Christmas this year and here is what we are doing.....
Due to our younger two kids last year having a complete come down after the excitement of Christmas morning the dinner was let’s just say not enjoyable.

So we are switching it up this year we are having a Christmas buffet on Christmas Day. Loads of yummy food, picky plates and there will be no set eating time just food on the table and the kids and us can graze and fill out plates when we want.

Then Boxing Day we will have our sit down Christmas dinner at a local hotel. It’s cheaper and will be a lovely family day out.

Trying to keep it as stress free as possible and I’m really looking forward to getting in all the yummy food for our buffet!

• Heart
Reactions: 5

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Does anyone else get really annoyed at buying lots of nice gifts for people and getting rubbish in return? I’m not talking about people who can’t afford it, I’m not at all well off, the people I buy for are and I either get cheap stuff or joint presents from entire families when I buy for each person?!
Yeah, I am one of those people that when buying presents, I make sure it is something the person will like and use. I LOVE buying gifts and put thought and effort into it. Some people don't though.

Kake20

Love this thread! It’s so lovely seeing everyone else’s traditions 😊

The tree always goes up on the 1st of December every year, without fail haha
My Mum always does a buffet style tea on Christmas Eve, she’s done that for as long as I can remember!
We always open one present on Christmas Eve.
We always spend Christmas Day at my Mums house and my Nan and Uncle always come round for Christmas dinner as they live the opposite side of the street to my Mum, so that’s always nice!

Does anyone else’s Mum always sit there on Christmas Day with a bin bag on “wrapping paper patrol” 😂

My parents have always put mine and my sisters presents on different sofas, so we sit opposite sides of the living room and take it in turns to open presents, they’ve done that since we were children.
My other Nan and Grandad always have a buffet on Boxing Day evening, so we always go there for that!

But my Mum always stays at home as Boxing Day is her day off during Christmas! I don’t blame her really, she does so much for all of us she deserves it 💕

Also I want to wish you all a lovely Christmas no matter what you’re doing for it 🎄❤ X

judsmum

Chatty Member
I would ideally like to find a dentist in my stocking that could actually locate the source of the pain I have been experiencing since FEBRUARY which has reached a crescendo over the last week 😪 or I would like some molten brown and an hotel chocolat dipping box

• Sad
Reactions: 4

liarliarliar

I LOVE this thread!

So someone gave me this tip a few years ago and it helped loads as I managed to get really good deals. Download the hotukdeals app and spend 10 mins every couple night scrolling through new deals to see if anything good comes up. Also set notifications on keywords so eg. One year I did ‘kids bike’ and got a good deal when one came up in Halfords. I got a huge bottle of Ralph Lauren aftershave for pennies. I think it was tne year before there was a glitch on boots website where I got 3 of the large Yankee candles for around £19 something like that 👌🏻

TheMotherHen-Kathryn

Well my brood will be 28, 26 and 20 this Christmas but they know mommabear loves Christmas on a Zoella scale so they humour me. On Christmas Eve they (including partners that may be there) STILL have a bath, new PJs, put out Rudolph magic food (oats and glitter) read Twas the Night Before Christmas and are in bed by 10pm.

Once asleep (no peeking or he wont come) Santa arrives and leaves magic footprints from the fire to the tree (flour and glitter and the other half in wellies, stomping around the room grumbling "im not hoovering this shit up)) and then the door to the room gets gift wrapped so no-one can come down and have a cheeky sneak peak. The lovely children then get me up at 5am "He's Been!" (i say Children, its me, with Jingle bells)

The only difference is; rather than dash downstairs i receive a few expletives and then they dash downstairs and instead of having to build barbie houses and scalextrix they play drinking roulette and are wrecked by 10am, they refuse to come to Mass with me and see baby Jesus and then the rest of the day I am in the kitchen (also wrecked) ruining a turkey and dancing to Now Christmas! 5pm everyone has passed out.

8pm wake up to watch 'Enders and crack open the baileys. Drinking games resume.

Bliss. I frigging LOVE it.
Ok even this has made a grinch like me get into the Christmas mood 😂😂

• Haha

PinkMermaid

I don't mind the elf. I just hate actually thinking of 25 days if new ideas that aren't stemmed from America where it wouldn't make sense in the UK. Google, I have to say in the elf situation, is useless. Especially if you've done it for more than 2 years.

You have to be creative. I'm not creative in the slightest. I end up making tiny accessories for the stupid elf. And his wife. And their baby. I have even resorted to asking my students, all 16+, for ideas. Some cannot be repeated.

But the 8 year old loves it and it is worth it.

urghwhy

My brother and I are both in our 20's so have moved out, but this year my parents separated. This is the first time my family has been so split up and in different places in the country (because of work). My partner is Polish so we don't see his family at Christmas time. Got stuck in the snow once! :oops:So we visit in spring time instead.

This year we have decided to have Christmas on our own. It's going to be pizza, Yorkshire puds and cheesecake. Really random, but they are our favourite foods!

I don't even decorate for Christmas anymore... I deffo think it is for kids, unless there are adults with no children that also go "all-out"?

Anyone have any tips on telling people you want to stop buying gifts? I’ve SO many to buy for and have broached before but they all want to continue!
Oh.. I'd love to know this, too. Also, about receiving them! I always get random toiletries that I will never use and I just re-gift them at my work secret santa.

Bluetomato

Me and my partner wrap all the presents on Christmas Eve, while watching a film and having takeaway.
Christmas Day we have lunch at home, then go to my parents for tea. Boxing Day involves friends coming round, massive amounts of food, board games and alcohol 😊😊