Mental health/Anxiety/Depression on Instagram

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
💯 it’s a trend

Don’t get me wrong there is a lot to do with mental health but they are so quick to lable it that.

When In fact it could be anxiety or stress related but not necessarily a diagnosed mental health condition.

Getting anxiety through trolling / negative comments does not necessarily give you a mental health condition.

Putting yourself out there on social media opens the world to give opinion on you and I know that must be hard and as it’s a new trend social media in general people don’t know how to cope with the negativities and I suspect then are so quick to label it.

Reactions: 5
I’ve seen some awful trolling of people’s mental health .... and equally some people claiming to have mental health conditions or be a mental health advocate and then never talk about mental health!

All Ads on their stories ... self love liv is a good one , has a pretty huge following but hardly ever does ads and is really honest . She has bipolar affective

Mum.interrupted , saw her during maternal mental health week. She is very open about psychosis and a good writer , but she doesn’t do “talking stories “ and isn’t big enough for adds

The fat funny one 🙄 claims to be a mental health advocate but I can’t see how she attends talks etc about Mental health? I don’t know what her experiences is ?

I think it’s a trend for sure , but can find some REAL accounts ... but how long before they become part of the trend I don’t know

Reactions: 2
Lobellaloves_jo has been around for ages & consistent, genuine & also rare ads đŸ‘ŒđŸ»

I love how MOD was all about mental health for like a week and just now said how her period makes her "mental" 🙄

• Wow
YES! I have been saying this. Having anxiety is the new trend. Feeling anxious every now and then is NOT having an anxiety attack 😒

Reactions: 1
Lobellaloves_jo has been around for ages & consistent, genuine & also rare ads đŸ‘ŒđŸ»

I love how MOD was all about mental health for like a week and just now said how her period makes her "mental" 🙄
I noticed that , whilst it’s a trend / awareness month everyone is all on tender hooks around their language ... awareness week over and they are all NuTs mental and bonkers ......

This makes me so cross. Instagram ‘experts’ in mental health. A cup of herbal tea, a swim in the sea and a yoga session at £50 a pop won’t cure it! There is one who keeps disappearing and reappearing who liked to see herself as a mental health guru.

This makes me so cross. Instagram ‘experts’ in mental health. A cup of herbal tea, a swim in the sea and a yoga session at £50 a pop won’t cure it! There is one who keeps disappearing and reappearing who liked to see herself as a mental health guru.

Do share ?

Anxiety is the buzzword of 2019. If it's not instagrammers selling anxiety workbooks for ÂŁ50 they are using anxiety to sell books or cleaning products, weekends away, weight loss products etc. We all need to speak more freely about mh to reduce the stigma but it should be used to direct people to support not to take money out their pockets. Using mental health to sell products on a platform which actually causes mental health problems (trying to keep up with unrealistic lifestyles) is just so unethical.

Just joined these two threads together as they’re quite similar and both deal with mental health struggles being “on trend”
I Hope that’s ok.
I think it could be interesting discussing how these accounts use their own “mental health struggles” to gain venerable subs and how these accounts can effect their audiences mental health too.
Especially in communities such as the eating disorder or depression “communities”

Reactions: 5
Is the one who you say keeps disappearing Natasha Bailie?

I've noticed that with smaller influencers and channels as well, its almost a competition of who is the most ill/who has the most illnesses. Someone can't mention an illness without someone else being all 'well I have that AND x,y,z!' and then that person just wants to talk about themselves. I feel like its easy for people like that to say 'speak out, talk to someone', but you just know if someone did try to confide in them, they would 100% make it about themselves rather than just listen.

All I know is my PND got worser the more I went on instagram and was influenced by certain accounts who looked like they were having such a fun time being mothers when I was dying inside. I'm sorry but that doesn't make me a pussy, I find that offensive when my depression and other's is diagnosed by a doctor. It's good we're speaking out and not hiding it like other generations.

Reactions: 4
Maybe she’s happier away from insta. I hope so.

There was all that weird stuff with asher and then she did that ridiculous ill thought out “dear mumsnet” campaign

The majority of these influencers don’t have a clue what it’s like to live with severe mental illness, or to suffer to trauma.
They think anxiety is cute and fluffy and makes them relatable.

I’m not keen on getting involved with any mental health “community” on social media. I’ve seen it for years, well before fb and insta. I was on forums in my early 20’s and it wasn’t healthy. There was a lot of support but there was also a lot of competition, who was more ill, who self harmed worse than the other person.
That’s just my experience of course.

I stay off Instagram as much as possible because it doesn’t do my mental health any good.

Using anxiety and depression as a way to be relatable and sell stuff to followers is an insult to those who really are mentally ill.

Reactions: 3
I think (and I’m not sure about this- just an opinion) than NB maybe got herself in a bit too deep into all the mental health stuff. She was flogging these pampering days with lavender pillows and talks from life coaches but at the same time many of her followers had serious mental health problems that NB was not qualified to help with. Again I don’t know if this is even true but I imagine her inbox got full up with people telling her about their sever depression etc and she probably felt way out of her depth because a talk from a life coach and some instagrammable breakfast and lavendar oil in the goody bag isn’t going to scratch the surface of helping these people. I think heart was in the right place

I think (and I’m not sure about this- just an opinion) than NB maybe got herself in a bit too deep into all the mental health stuff. She was flogging these pampering days with lavender pillows and talks from life coaches but at the same time many of her followers had serious mental health problems that NB was not qualified to help with. Again I don’t know if this is even true but I imagine her inbox got full up with people telling her about their sever depression etc and she probably felt way out of her depth because a talk from a life coach and some instagrammable breakfast and lavendar oil in the goody bag isn’t going to scratch the surface of helping these people. I think heart was in the right place
I get the same impression!

Just a massive thank you!!! I started my account on insta to talk about my mental illnesses (c-PTSD, generalised anxiety disorder and borderline personality disorder- not a serial killer btw;)) and also how my craft stuff gave me a sense of purpose again. I've been trolled by people, followed and mocked etc by bigger accounts because my illness is real and not fashionable. It's not fun, I can't fix it with yoga or some stupid diet. I get so frustrated by it all. I have had some lovely interactions too which is why i keep doing it but the potential for these accounts to do real damage to those of us with real health problems is scary. Xx

As a very robust person (I have almost no reactions to anything) due to the "fashionableness" of anxiety even I have wondered Jesus is this *anxiey?

*No it's a normal response to A Thing. When did being blissed out all the time became the expectation?