Medication and Alcohol?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This thread title alone makes me sound terrible!

The gist of it is my birthday is coming up and I've just been put on metronidazole by my dentist for a gum infection. She has said no alcohol while taking it. My husband was, much more strongly haha, told the same thing a couple months ago when he was taking the same medicine.

I no longer plan to have as many drinks as I otherwise would have 🤪 not a big deal at all. But had thought that I might be able to get away with one glass of wine with my dinner on the weekend - according to my googling this is a definite no! 😮

Does anyone have any tales of taking this medicine and what happened if they had alcohol? Or just any tales in general I suppose of other booze/medication tales - hopefully nothing too grim or serious.

It’s a definite no it makes you so poorly my dr says don’t worry about drinking on other antibiotics but absolutely not on these and even to wait 72 hours when finished them

It’s a definite no it makes you so poorly my dr says don’t worry about drinking on other antibiotics but absolutely not on these and even to wait 72 hours when finished them
This is what I thought. I think other antiobiotics its sort of wishy washy but seems to be a completely different response for these. No desire to be throwing up just for a glass of wine.

Reactions: 2
Don’t do it on metro. You’ll just throw up, it’s actually used to treat alcoholics to stop them wanting a drink. Some antibiotics are fine but this one is a definite no I’m afraid.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m always on these whenever my wisdom teeth flare up, trying to get through. Each time I’m given the prescription, the pharmacist makes a point of coming out and telling me that alcohol is an absolute no no 🤣 I have however taken around 3 days worth, drank the next day and been absolutely fine.

Reactions: 1
I've had this medication before. I am quite prone to gum infections and absecces and usually get given this as standard amoxycillin doesn't touch it.
I've never drunk with it as I'm not really a big drinker tbf but my dentist told me the first time he gave it me that he had it once himself and thought he would chance it with a liqueur chocolate and he was violently sick. Put me off chancing it!

Do not under any circumstances drink on it. I am very hardy and normally drink on antibiotics and I’m fine.. very much a meh whatever attitude. This particular drug apparently mimics the affects of medication dr’s prescribe to alcoholics to stop drinking. It makes you so so ill. I drank the night I took my last doseage and it was awful. Make sure you don’t drink for at least 24 hours after due to the medications half-life.

Reactions: 1
Nooo! Don’t do it. Not even a drop!! I get put on this medication a lot as it is a powerful antibiotic and I’m allergic to many others. Once when I was on it I had some tiramisu at a restaurant and I can not describe how ill I was. I realised after it had alcohol in it and it probably wasn’t even that much!! Most other antibiotics are fine really but do not drink on these. I feel you I also had to have my lockdown birthday this year whilst taking metronidazole - and I got given 3 bottles of gin! It was a looong 7 days but we had a belated celebration the weekend after!

I once had to go to the ER for mixing alcohol with medication. It was no fun and I should have realized but it unfortunately didn't occur to me at the time. Lots of vomiting and loss of consciousness. Scary. Don't do it.

This thread is more horrific than I thought haha. I will definitely be enjoying a dry birthday guys. Guess I'll just have to eat more naughty stuff instead!

• Heart
Reactions: 2