McFly, McBusted and Wives

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've loved all their previous songs but Happiness really didn't do anything for me!
I do hope the rest of the album is better, it's an interesting direction for them.

Reactions: 6
Can’t fathom why their label would do that?!
It’s 188 in the iTunes chart, I really for them but I also think the timing in the middle of lockdown when they can do limited promotion, the tour is delayed and people are in a bit of a limbo wasn’t quite right.

Reactions: 2
It’s 188 in the iTunes chart, I really for them but I also think the timing in the middle of lockdown when they can do limited promotion, the tour is delayed and people are in a bit of a limbo wasn’t quite right.
I agree.

I'm not a fan of the song, but that isn't good at all 😞

What’s worse is iTunes Charts people to a higher place than the official so they’d be much worse.

I think the other week Little Mix was number 1 on iTunes all week and charted 17 in the charts

• Wow
I'm not big into current music (alright grandma) but is charting that important these days? I'd have thought all the money is in touring for a lot of acts, and we know McFly will continue to sell tickets.

Reactions: 7
Oh my god I'm so glad I found this thread! I have sooo many things I'd love to talk about here! Bit of background, probs similar to a lot:

I was a big Busted fan when I was 10/11, was gutted when they split up (I remember crying to my mum saying, but they'll get back together right?? When they did their press conference on TV) and resented Charlie for years because of it and would refuse to listen to Fightstar even when my friends were really into them. James was my fave in the beginning but has changed to Matt over the years (Maybe unpopular opinion but Matt's solo work was far superior)

(Also I agree with everyone here that James is a massive creep, stuck in his "I'm in a band" 20 year old mentality with a huge superiority complex who can damn write a catchy tune but his songwriting is so juvenile and hasn't progressed over the years)

And then I naturally gravitated towards being a huge Mcfly fan after Busted's demise. I've seen them in concert I think about 8 times and have attempted to meet them many times but never managed to (I did once meet Dougie's gf Lara outside Royal Albert Hall)

After all this time my obsession has died down mostly through maturing, but I still love these boys and honestly still listen to their old stuff regularly (MITO is a fave)

I do think their songwriting has massively improved over the years and their songs now have a lot more depth. I always worry when they bring out new music that I'm not gonna like it but I do like Happiness. I think the disappointment of the direction they went with Above the Noise always has me worried!

So now I've got my waffle out the way - question for you Busted fans, did any of you read their tour book back in the day by that author/journalist who basically followed them round on their PFE tour and documented it? He basically complained they were boring at one point which prompted Matt to get drunk and throw a TV out the hotel window?? There's also points in the book where Charlie admits he hates their own music. It was actually a juicy read!

(sorry for the long post!)

Reactions: 9
I'm not big into current music (alright grandma) but is charting that important these days? I'd have thought all the money is in touring for a lot of acts, and we know McFly will continue to sell tickets.
You're right really. Charting is a nice thing, and radio play certainly helps an act. But that is more important to newer artists. An act like McFly will make money through touring with the established fanbase that is already there whether they chart well or not. They trade on nostalgia really.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh my god I'm so glad I found this thread! I have sooo many things I'd love to talk about here! Bit of background, probs similar to a lot:

I was a big Busted fan when I was 10/11, was gutted when they split up (I remember crying to my mum saying, but they'll get back together right?? When they did their press conference on TV) and resented Charlie for years because of it and would refuse to listen to Fightstar even when my friends were really into them. James was my fave in the beginning but has changed to Matt over the years (Maybe unpopular opinion but Matt's solo work was far superior)

(Also I agree with everyone here that James is a massive creep, stuck in his "I'm in a band" 20 year old mentality with a huge superiority complex who can damn write a catchy tune but his songwriting is so juvenile and hasn't progressed over the years)

And then I naturally gravitated towards being a huge Mcfly fan after Busted's demise. I've seen them in concert I think about 8 times and have attempted to meet them many times but never managed to (I did once meet Dougie's gf Lara outside Royal Albert Hall)

After all this time my obsession has died down mostly through maturing, but I still love these boys and honestly still listen to their old stuff regularly (MITO is a fave)

I do think their songwriting has massively improved over the years and their songs now have a lot more depth. I always worry when they bring out new music that I'm not gonna like it but I do like Happiness. I think the disappointment of the direction they went with Above the Noise always has me worried!

So now I've got my waffle out the way - question for you Busted fans, did any of you read their tour book back in the day by that author/journalist who basically followed them round on their PFE tour and documented it? He basically complained they were boring at one point which prompted Matt to get drunk and throw a TV out the hotel window?? There's also points in the book where Charlie admits he hates their own music. It was actually a juicy read!

YES I REMEMBER THAT BOOK.

Largely because naive 12 year old me asked my mum what a Pube was hahaha.

It was a very juicy book!

James was always my favourite too and has also changed to Matt! James just creeps me out. He's like a creepy Peter Pan!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I think them not charting is just a sign of the times and how the industry and the way we consume music has changed. iTunes launched properly in 2003 and mcfly released 5CIHH in 2004. At the time charts were solely based on physical sales. If you liked the song you had to go buy it. I remember buying multiple copies (there was often different versions with different b-sides).

There was the download charts too and the two merged in the late 00’s when downloading overtook cd Single sales.
Streaming dramatically changed the industry again which is why people like Lewis Capaldi are still in the top 40/100.

Lack of promo due to Covid probably had an even bigger impact. There isn’t really even any music magazines for pop music anymore. Mcfly were regulars in top of the pops mag and smash hits.

Sadly mcfly are from a different age. They have a small dedicated fan base who’ll lap up the music and tours. But beyond that they’ll probably struggle. Had happiness had much radio play ? I don’t really listen to the radio much these days.

YES I REMEMBER THAT BOOK.

Largely because naive 12 year old me asked my mum what a Pube was hahaha.

It was a very juicy book!

James was always my favourite too and has also changed to Matt! James just creeps me out. He's like a creepy Peter Pan!
OMG yes cos James told that story about a fan sending him a pube cake and he wrote a song about it! I also remember he was obsessed with jaffa cakes so he just constantly got given them by fans.

I also remember Matt getting told off by a girl on their team for eating haribo cola bottles and she kept telling him they'll give him diarrhoea 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I think them not charting is just a sign of the times and how the industry and the way we consume music has changed. iTunes launched properly in 2003 and mcfly released 5CIHH in 2004. At the time charts were solely based on physical sales. If you liked the song you had to go buy it. I remember buying multiple copies (there was often different versions with different b-sides).

There was the download charts too and the two merged in the late 00’s when downloading overtook cd Single sales.
Streaming dramatically changed the industry again which is why people like Lewis Capaldi are still in the top 40/100.

Lack of promo due to Covid probably had an even bigger impact. There isn’t really even any music magazines for pop music anymore. Mcfly were regulars in top of the pops mag and smash hits.

Sadly mcfly are from a different age. They have a small dedicated fan base who’ll lap up the music and tours. But beyond that they’ll probably struggle. Had happiness had much radio play ? I don’t really listen to the radio much these days.
This post made me so nostalgic for how the music scene used to be🥰 A single used to be released on radio or the music video would be out weeks before you could buy it. CD:UK, Top of The Pops, Smash Hits magazine and all of the teen/music magazines...god I feel so old now. I used to always know who was number 1, I wouldn't have a clue anymore. I don't think singles really matter as much anymore, albums do. Where the McFly album charts will be the one to watch. I don't think they'll be touring for a long time to come - no one will!

Reactions: 8

Yes Matts solo album was so good, probably my favourite out of anything from Busted boys. Who You Gonna Run To was my fave!

Depends on their contract, a few labels now do 360 deals where they get a percentage of merch, tv, tours etc so they won’t be earning as much. They should have made it so if you buy a ticket for tour you get a “free” album - that’s how a lot of artists get to number 1 these days where they wouldn’t have on a normal week.

Bundles are also very popular, if you look at for example The Weeknd or Katy Perry’s websites every single piece of merchandise comes with the album. The boys just put a new merch line out and didn’t include the album - their management and label seem to be way behind the times

But of course labels still care about charts, it’s why many still get dropped - they need to earn money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Can the thread name be changed to either ‘mcbusted and wives’ or ‘mcfly, busted and wives’, it’s really bugging me lol

• Haha
Can the thread name be changed to either ‘mcbusted and wives’ or ‘mcfly, busted and wives’, it’s really bugging me lol
Well McBusted aren’t even a thing anymore and probably won’t ever be. It was a moment in time I’d like to forget post the first tour.

But is should be Busted rather than McBusted

Reactions: 3
Does anyone remember Street Team? Was it any good? I remember being so desperate to be part of busted's 😂

Does anyone remember Street Team? Was it any good? I remember being so desperate to be part of busted's 😂
Omg I was on both bands teams but put way more effort into the Busted one. I did all my promo in Newcastle with some random girls I met through the message boards, it was so fun but seems like such a lifetime ago now when bands used to promote like that!

• Haha
James has been putting up pictures of his “photo shoot” for his album...I have so much secondhand embarrassment for him...

• Haha
Reactions: 8
James has been putting up pictures of his “photo shoot” for his album...I have so much secondhand embarrassment for him...

Omg came here to say the same thing. The bleeping Batman T-shirt. Grow up, James. I don’t know how he thinks these photos are gonna turn out looking good.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.