Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw him mentioned on the Meghan and Harry thread and thought he needed one of his own.

I used to like him but recently have found him insufferable. Anyone else feel the same way?

I remember a few months ago Britney reposted a quote on Instagram and it was one of Matt's. Britney obviously didn't know that as the image had no credit. Anyway. Matt and all his followers jumped on her saying she needs to give him credit to post it as people thought it was lyrics of hers. The way he handled it, really put me off him. He came across as very egotistical when really, anybody could have wrote that quote.

Reactions: 28
I feel bad for disliking someone who is such a big advocate of mental health, but I really find him quite tiresome now. I've had to mute him on Twitter because his philosophical tweets appear on my timeline so much (I don't follow him, but apparently because someone I follow liked one of his tweets, then the stupid algorithm pushes them on me. I hate Twitter sometimes). I read one of his books and it droned on far too much. It was full of tedious anecdotes and meandering observations, I took very little from it.

Reactions: 27
I feel bad for disliking someone who is such a big advocate of mental health, but I really find him quite tiresome now. I've had to mute him on Twitter because his philosophical tweets appear on my timeline so much (I don't follow him, but apparently because someone I follow liked one of his tweets, then the stupid algorithm pushes them on me. I hate Twitter sometimes). I read one of his books and it droned on far too much. It was full of tedious anecdotes and meandering observations, I took very little from it.
I agree with what you said. He means well but I find him too preachy as of lately.

Reactions: 9
I saw him mentioned on the Meghan and Harry thread and thought he needed one of his own.

I used to like him but recently have found him insufferable. Anyone else feel the same way?

I remember a few months ago Britney reposted a quote on Instagram and it was one of Matt's. Britney obviously didn't know that as the image had no credit. Anyway. Matt and all his followers jumped on her saying she needs to give him credit to post it as people thought it was lyrics of hers. The way he handled it, really put me off him. He came across as very egotistical when really, anybody could have wrote that quote.
Didn't know that re Britney. You would think knowing her well advertised battles with MH he would cut her a bit of slack. I only really know him through Twitter and must say he doesn't really come across very well.

Reactions: 12
Screenshot_20190829_144414_com.instagram.android.jpg

It was this. I am sorry but if I saw this online just as the image, I would have no idea who it was by and I probably wouldn't look as it just seems like a generic Tumblr quote. He and his followers also went onto her page and bombarded the post about it. I am sure thousands of people share Britney's and others lyrics etc without quoting them and they don't get upset by it

• Heart
Omg he takes himself a bit seriously doesn't he? 😂 And it actually really is a dig at Britney.

I like the 'its just a weird feeling when books become memes'. For a man who is so popular because of his Tweets, he sure thinks he's above the internet.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I too feel bad because I am in favour of mental health being de-stigmatised and discussed openly, just like you would any other issue, and I was especially happy to see him talk back to people who go after boys and men who display emotions, but even before I left Twitter I ended up muting him because as it’s usually the case, he got too big for his breeches and can’t be criticised/touched.

Reactions: 20
I too feel bad because I am in favour of mental health being de-stigmatised and discussed openly, just like you would any other issue, and I was especially happy to see him talk back to people who go after boys and men who display emotions, but even before I left Twitter I ended up muting him because as it’s usually the case, he got too big for his breeches and can’t be criticised/touched.
I remember hearing him on R2 and thinking his best friend was probably in his trousers.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I unfollowed him on all social media.

Reactions: 10
He tweeted something SO patronising recently during Pride. (I think it was him.) Something like,

"Hey, if you're having problems this week, just remember: LGBT people have all YOUR problems, plus the stress of being LGBT."

I found it problematic on many levels:

1. Assuming no-one who follows him is LGBT
2. Being incredibly patronising
3. Making it into a competition, who can be the most oppressed
4. What if I am a disabled straight person who's father has just died, does that mean LGBT people deal with that PLUS they're LGBT?

It just felt like a really bizarre thing to tweet.

• Wow
Reactions: 36
He tweeted something SO patronising recently during Pride. (I think it was him.) Something like,

"Hey, if you're having problems this week, just remember: LGBT people have all YOUR problems, plus the stress of being LGBT."

I found it problematic on many levels:

1. Assuming no-one who follows him is LGBT
2. Being incredibly patronising
3. Making it into a competition, who can be the most oppressed
4. What if I am a disabled straight person who's father has just died, does that mean LGBT people deal with that PLUS they're LGBT?

It just felt like a really bizarre thing to tweet.
Also, there's joy in being LGBTQ too! The hard part exists but it's not all misery. I tried to check for his actual tweet but I forgot I caught him being interviewed on This Morning about Meghan using a poem of his in her Vogue issue, found his real life persona just as irking as his Twitter one and went on a muting spree (spree = muting him on my whole two profiles).

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Have to disagree on this one I’m afraid. He’s done a lot for mental health awareness, even if he also speaks his mind a lot, and his book Notes On A Nervous Planet is one of the best and helpful books I’ve read in a long time. Sorry!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This thread makes me very very uncomfortable when it’s about somebody who has been brutally honest about their mental health struggles to the extent he has

Reactions: 9
I read ‘reasons to stay alive’ after seeing so many big names praising it (Stephen fry being one.)

Worst book I have ever read, I don’t have depression (have before) but this book actually made me feel depressed.

I then followed him on twitter and my god it really
Irks me that someone so terribly middle class and boring has the crown for ‘changing mental health’

He hasn’t at all. He whinges, moans and shames people. He doesn’t accept anyone else’s mental health journey other than his own. He recommends things that are impossible for working class (stopping working so hard, taking time out, just ‘hopping on a plane’ when he needs a break. )

I get he has his money etc. But he seems like such a wanker.

This thread makes me very very uncomfortable when it’s about somebody who has been brutally honest about their mental health struggles to the extent he has
Newsflash Julie, everyone on every thread will have had a mental health battle. It doesn’t discriminate. So because this guy is famous for it - we aren’t allowed to debate him?

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I think this is the problem. Just because someone has had mental health problems doesn't mean they're invincible to criticism. As someone before me said – everyone has mental health issues, imagine if we never looked at anyone with a critical eye ever again and just let them say whatever they liked without question? He is, of course, free to say whatever he likes, just as we are free to not enjoy his sanctimonious, patronising tone. I think the fact that you're 'feeling uncomfortable' is fine, but I don't think anyone should feel they can't have an opinion on something because it makes someone else 'feel uncomfortable'.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I’m finding this thread very interesting. Recently I unfollowed him on Twitter and Instagram as he was really beginning to grate. I’ve read and enjoyed one of his books but the relentless outpouring got too much. He often seems so angry and a bit judgmental. Plus appears to be loving the celeb limelight - fair dos maybe I’d be the same in his situation but the picture of Meghan’s note (about Vogue) just seemed so conceited. I know he has issues but his account made me feel more negative than positive. Ironically!

Reactions: 13
I’m finding this thread very interesting. Recently I unfollowed him on Twitter and Instagram as he was really beginning to grate. I’ve read and enjoyed one of his books but the relentless outpouring got too much. He often seems so angry and a bit judgmental. Plus appears to be loving the celeb limelight - fair dos maybe I’d be the same in his situation but the picture of Meghan’s note (about Vogue) just seemed so conceited. I know he has issues but his account made me feel more negative than positive. Ironically!
I read his book Notes on a Nervous Planet and did enjoy it and would probably flick through it again. I've suffered from terrible anxiety and panic attacks so would never judge someone based off their mental health. It is his personality recently I am not loving. I do think it's great he has raised awareness about men's mental health but he seems a little too big for his boots now.

Reactions: 8
I read his book Notes on a Nervous Planet and did enjoy it and would probably flick through it again. I've suffered from terrible anxiety and panic attacks so would never judge someone based off their mental health. It is his personality recently I am not loving. I do think it's great he has raised awareness about men's mental health but he seems a little too big for his boots now.
100% this.
People are not immune to criticism if they suffer with mental health issues.
If we were sitting here pointing and laughing at him because he has anxiety, it would be one thing. We’re discussing his perceived personality. One can be a brave fighter for mental health destigmatisation and also a tool.

Reactions: 16
I can’t believe there’s a thread for him. I thought I was the only one! You guys 😍😍😍😍.

This and the Sali Hughes thread give me hope.

(Should add I’m am keen on mental health and have suffered myself so no shade there)

Reactions: 11