Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cannot stand the guy and won’t buy one of his books because I remember a tweet he wrote (I think it was around the time of the London Riots, in 2011) that said London’s survived much worse and bounced back (proceeded to list stuff like fires) and then included the suffragettes and it really pissed me off, because he clearly didn’t understand the significance/why it happened. Came across as a privileged white man spouting off about stuff he doesn’t understand from his ivory tower!

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Cannot stand the guy and won’t buy one of his books because I remember a tweet he wrote (I think it was around the time of the London Riots, in 2011) that said London’s survived much worse and bounced back (proceeded to list stuff like fires) and then included the suffragettes and it really pissed me off, because he clearly didn’t understand the significance/why it happened. Came across as a privileged white man spouting off about stuff he doesn’t understand from his ivory tower!
What an idiot. This kind of toxic positivity he spouts is bollocks.

Sure Matt you crack on with the “riots weren’t as bad as the Black Death or fire or whatever” (history isn’t my strong point). But were you present at the riots? No. You were watching it on the news from your pastel coloured house next to your pebbly beach.

Piss off then.

Reactions: 10
Obligatory hospital post. They are all the same aren’t they?

Went for a run. Poor me.
Chest pains. Poor me.
Don’t know what it is. Poor me.
Sat in here for hours. Poor me.
Send sympathy. Poor me.
NHS is fab (but giving it a sly dig anyway). Poor me.

Cut forward a few hours.

Everything is fine. Still poor me.
Is he related to Jack Monroe? They have a great deal in common, it seems.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Just to show we aren’t all evil bridge-dwelling trolls, he signposted a really good service yesterday without making it all about him (dog photos on pebbly beach afterwards obviously 🙄).

However, for the people who follow him, many of whom may be in crisis or know someone who is, this kind of signposting is vital.

This is where his huge platform can be so important in helping so many.

Last edited:
Just revisiting this thread to say - he’s taken his dog (a beautiful golden retriever) to Ibiza. In August! What’s wrong with the man?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Imagine being on a nice holiday and seeing the King of Shite Takes getting his picture taken so he can slap a ✨ deep ✨ quote over it for his bloody Instagram stories

• Sick
  • Haha
Imagine being on a nice holiday and seeing the King of Shite Takes getting his picture taken so he can slap a ✨ deep ✨ quote over it for his bloody Instagram stories
If I saw him on holiday (which I wouldn’t because, well I don’t go to southern pebbly beaches or to Beefa) then I would wave “stay” in his face and ask him his thoughts on plagiarism.

And tell him he knows f all about mental health.

Reactions: 6
I’m with a lot of people on this thread when they say they feel bad for ragging on him because of how much he does in the mental health space, but, I just think he does so with such an air of superiority (no one can possibly be as depressed as him) and ignorance for anyone else around him that he’s always just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I read his book ‘reasons to stay alive’ thinking how great it was that someone had written a book about this kind of thing, and have had some serious MH struggles myself, so was looking forward to reading it. However, almost immediately I knew it wasn’t for me. He just came across so mopey and whiney about his life and what was afforded of him and it just made me have an immediate dislike towards him.
Fast forward to seeing him on Twitter and IG and it seems my initial feelings were corroborated. Constantly moaning about things and getting irate if someone uses an image of something he wrote and doesn’t realise it’s by him so he throws his toys out the pram - does he honestly have such a high view of himself that he thinks everyone should know who he is?

Again, I’m absolutely all for the conversation around MH progressing and people doing what they can to stamp out the stigma with it, I just don’t feel like he is the best spokesperson for it. He gives an air of being quite pompous and almost being put out that he’s got such success from this and isn’t someone I’d recommend to anyone looking for literature in this space.

Just my two cents.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m with a lot of people on this thread when they say they feel bad for ragging on him because of how much he does in the mental health space, but, I just think he does so with such an air of superiority (no one can possibly be as depressed as him) and ignorance for anyone else around him that he’s always just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I read his book ‘reasons to stay alive’ thinking how great it was that someone had written a book about this kind of thing, and have had some serious MH struggles myself, so was looking forward to reading it. However, almost immediately I knew it wasn’t for me. He just came across so mopey and whiney about his life and what was afforded of him and it just made me have an immediate dislike towards him.
Fast forward to seeing him on Twitter and IG and it seems my initial feelings were corroborated. Constantly moaning about things and getting irate if someone uses an image of something he wrote and doesn’t realise it’s by him so he throws his toys out the pram - does he honestly have such a high view of himself that he thinks everyone should know who he is?

Again, I’m absolutely all for the conversation around MH progressing and people doing what they can to stamp out the stigma with it, I just don’t feel like he is the best spokesperson for it. He gives an air of being quite pompous and almost being put out that he’s got such success from this and isn’t someone I’d recommend to anyone looking for literature in this space.

Just my two cents.
I didn't mind RTSA, there were some great parts in the 2nd half. But I came away from the first half of the book feeling more depressed than I had before I started reading it. It was very bleak. I'm also fairly convinced that the incident in Ibiza was either wholly or mostly caused by him being on a very bad comedown. I feel quite bad for him and don't doubt that his depression is severe. What is this he's written on his twitter about being a recovering addict? What was he addicted to?

Reactions: 4
caught this the other day, wasn't sure if anyone else had posted it, but it seems not

tldr, oh no. he's on his bullshit again

20221006_230147.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Man needs to stop raging about Twitter. He literally said it was the worst thing since the nuclear bomb the other day.

• Wow
So my Instagram (I don't follow him) tells me he's autistic now. Apparently.

Reactions: 1
ADHD as well.

Read a wordy Instagram post about it (he’s binned Twitter now).
That post is too much. He could say so much more about ADHD and autism without centring himself.

However, his story aboutsuicide is much more helpful (I don’t think I have used the right term there). It is obviously aimed at comments around Stephen Boss but could apply to anyone. His content is so conflicting. On one hand, he is infuriating, on the other, with a short statement like that, he could do so many good things so the MH and mental ill health community.

Reactions: 4
hmmm...

20221215_221222.jpg

nice for him that he got a relatively quick diagnosis, is it not?

call me cynical, but wouldn't it be nice if he could signpost those of us who might be thinking we have something else going on other than depression and anxiety to the seemingly very efficient services he's managed to access?

also, jack could have totally written this

Reactions: 11