Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
MH is a bit of a navel gazer imo. Ultimate in 1st world issues. The male Fearne Cotton. What really annoys me about these people is they make money by validating other people's issues. People are like 'oh its ok to be depressed because MH says it is'...while he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: 11
Well. That’s very #bekind - isn’t it?

Anyone who disagrees with The Haig is a wanker. Charming.
wanker.jpeg
Fitting that it's laid out in this way when he's basically the Rupi Kaur of mental health advocacy.

Reactions: 8
Someone I follow is reading the comfort book ( 🙄😖) and posted this. How is him quoting something someone else has written ok to put in a book and to fill an entire page like this?

If you want to read about about existential philosophy then just read Kierkegaard ffs.

ETA I’m fecking angry about JM so I will continue. Basically he is too thick and he knows his readers are too thick to read Kierkegaard so he lifts a quote, places it in the middle of a page and he and his readers think they have read him and are now into “existential philosophy”. duck off.

7A92AD6D-AAE6-4529-9222-D240A8C4F1A5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
So glad he has a thread. I thought I was alone in finding him totally unbearable.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
So glad he has a thread. I thought I was alone in finding him totally unbearable.
You aren’t.

The problem is all the huns love him. He writes for people who can’t think for themselves. He reduces MH conditions and basically is an idiot.

But above all, we must remember to #bekind.

I love his book Reasons to Stay Alive, it may have actually saved my life I don't know, I don't have anything bad to say about it personally.
Have you read Stay by Jennifer Michael Hecht? It was published in 2013 (Reasons was published in 2015). If you are in a better place now, it might give you a different perspective on essentially the same argument. It is well researched and easy to read.

I’m leaving the publication dates here without comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I love his book Reasons to Stay Alive, it may have actually saved my life I don't know, I don't have anything bad to say about it personally.

But GOD DAMN, this man needs to get off the social media. He's an embarrassment and no self respecting adult should act like a toddler throwing tantrums online. Why can't he take his own advice? I feel like he ran out of things to write after that book and now he's just regurgitating content because somehow he's become on authority on mental health, when he isn't one? Cringe. I can't stand his behaviour.

Edit coming after reading some comments here: Holy tit, I had no idea he was such a prick, both online and irl. I'm so sorry for everyone who was let down by his tit advice and baseless "guidance". I don't know why he's treated like a psychiatric guru, the man can't even sort out his twitter rage. The single quote on a whole ass page thing is such a shill, no different than Rupi kaur breaking some basic sentences to make poems. :rolleyes: Disappointed.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Navel gazing post today.

I just can’t deal with him today. Yes Matt, my dog has been massively influential in improving my MH but unfortunately I don’t have bleeping pebbly beach to go walking on or have 3000 fawning comments to make me feel better about myself.

He has no idea. And he can duck off with doing the Jack Monroe thing of “calling in my lawyers over being defamed online by the nasty, lazy, hateful trolls who have nothing better to do with their sad little lives.”

He makes me feel sick. The only good thing is that three of his tit, plagiarised books were brought into the charity shop on Friday and I hid them so no unsuspecting soul bought them.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I tried to join a book group recently. They were about to read The bleeping Midnight Library by Matt Haig. I made my excuses. Urgh.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
If he’s potentially referring to the writer that previously posted about him on Instagram, then he’s chosen an opportune moment, as I believe she’s Ukrainian and focused heavily on volunteering for the war effort rather than him.

• Wow
  • Heart
To be honest I didn't even know he did all the mental health stuff until recently. I thought his novel How To Stop Time was absolute shite and decided he was probably unbearable based on that alone.

Reactions: 9
If he’s potentially referring to the writer that previously posted about him on Instagram, then he’s chosen an opportune moment, as I believe she’s Ukrainian and focused heavily on volunteering for the war effort rather than him.
That is exactly what I thought. She has far bigger things on her mind than him at the moment.

Cynical me would say this is exactly why he has come out and said it now.

Reactions: 6
Yes. It’s interesting as he’s sort of tried to cover both aspects - ‘I’ve been defamed’ - but then also referring to how ‘ADHD, alcohol and the internet’ don’t mix. And then later about autism.

I have to say, ADHD is taking on the responsibility for a lot of bad behaviour recently, that I’ve not come across personally in people I know with it. Those I know seem to put just a whole lot more effort than people without that issue do, into behaving in productive and appropriate ways.

Reactions: 19
I noticed that he’d surfaced with a ‘poor me’ post.

Has he got a book due out soon?

Reactions: 6
Latest post has me very conflicted. It is obvious that the past few months have been challenging for him and that he has struggled and worked really hard to get back to being sober and in the place he is now.

However, the language he uses in his post (reframe rain WTAF?) and the way he explains he went on a long walk on a deserted Brighton beach still shows his complete lack of awareness towards his own privilege. If he can check this or at least nod to it in his posts he really would go up in my estimation.

Reactions: 10
"Reframe rain" has pissed me off. Also, I got given The Midnight Library for Christmas and I'm quite annoyed that it had the potential to be a good book if it had been written by literally anybody else.

Reactions: 5
I have delurked to say how fabulous this place is, and how many fingers it has put on a spot which was making me uncomfortable for an unfathomable reason.

Reactions: 17
Obligatory hospital post. They are all the same aren’t they?

Went for a run. Poor me.
Chest pains. Poor me.
Don’t know what it is. Poor me.
Sat in here for hours. Poor me.
Send sympathy. Poor me.
NHS is fab (but giving it a sly dig anyway). Poor me.

Cut forward a few hours.

Everything is fine. Still poor me.

• Haha
Reactions: 12