Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not only that but some with mental health problems face psychological barriers that stop them from doing these 'self care' activities. It's all very well telling someone to look after themselves physically or do things for themselves but it's not as simple as 'have a bath' or 'go on holiday'.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Matt Haigs children’s books are fantastic. The best me and my son have ever read together. They are dark and unfriendly in places but are magic and exciting however he should stick to that because whilst mental health advocates is what we need a privileged oracle becoming more and more unrelatable by the day is what we do not need.

Reactions: 6
Not only that but some with mental health problems face psychological barriers that stop them from doing these 'self care' activities. It's all very well telling someone to look after themselves physically or do things for themselves but it's not as simple as 'have a bath' or 'go on holiday'.
So true. And he is very much focusing on the depression and anxiety end of the spectrum AFAIK. I'm NOT saying those aren't awful conditions to have but they are a different kettle of fish to, for ex, severe and enduring schizophrenia/psychosis where people struggle to know what's real or isn't, and/or to live independently. Not that those things never happen with depression/anxiety but they are still the "less scary" and stigmatised end of mental health for most people.

Reactions: 5
Why does he go on a podcast and say there's not one nice comment on tattle about him when there's several on page one? Lying really doesn't help someone's public image. Around 26 minutes in on dawn o porter so lucky podcast

Reactions: 7
Why does he go on a podcast and say there's not one nice comment on tattle about him when there's several on page one? Lying really doesn't help someone's public image. Around 26 minutes in on dawn o porter so lucky podcast

I've just read this entire thread (haven't listened to the podcast yet) and yes there are nice comments. Even the negative ones are more from disappointment than anything else as most posters seem to have formerly been fans saying they appreciate his work for MH but his media personality is off putting. Would you not think this might give him a bit of food for thought? That people are not being needlessly bitchy but have genuine grievances? But that doesn't fit the narrative that Tattle is full of nasty people driven by pure unfocussed hate and rage.

Reactions: 12

I didn’t realise there was a thread about him until this morning, but having read through it all I think it’s very balanced, not completely negative at all. The man’s ego obviously can’t handle anyone with a different opinion or constructive criticism.

Reactions: 3
I listened to the Tattle bit of the podcast and I *think* he said people who post here are envious. Yes. Of course that has to be it. Sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Oh of course, envious, that’s it. Being a writer you’d think he could come up with something slightly more original - now I’m disappointed too.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I'm not envious - I thought the book didn't help me in any way (provide enjoyment, provoke thought etc). I didn't understand how and why it had the rave reviews it did, which is why I bought it. I also find some of his posts really repetitive with no real help or support for those struggling.

Basically adds nothing to my life whereas a fair few 'people in the public eye' do - also suffer with long term 'recurrent mood disorder' as per the NHS.

I listened to the Tattle bit of the podcast and I *think* he said people who post here are envious. Yes. Of course that has to be it. Sigh.
I *think* this is what he says "...it sounds really pathetic but it is a kind of envy, it's not, it's not justified envy. They don't actually realise that people are human beings and have exactly the sort of, same ups and downs and fluctuations that everyone else does. But if you've never had what they imagine that is then I suppose it's a way to say my problems are because of a lack of something".
It's not exactly verbatim but best I could manage.
I have no idea wtf the last part is supposed to mean I don't know if the "my problems referred to are his problems or the commenters' problems. Never mind what he's never had that we imagine he has?!

Reactions: 2
I *think* this is what he says "...it sounds really pathetic but it is a kind of envy, it's not, it's not justified envy. They don't actually realise that people are human beings and have exactly the sort of, same ups and downs and fluctuations that everyone else does. But if you've never had what they imagine that is then I suppose it's a way to say my problems are because of a lack of something".
It's not exactly verbatim but best I could manage.
I have no idea wtf the last part is supposed to mean I don't know if the "my problems referred to are his problems or the commenters' problems. Never mind what he's never had that we imagine he has?!
Wow, if being incredibly moved by a book is considered envy only to have the sentiment of that book completely contradicted by it's creator to the point you can't believe the book anynore then call me the incredible hulk. Of course people have ups and downs but if he's advocating something like self care and the dangers of social media he needs to at least think twice about what he's about to post or engage in.

Can’t stand him and his fake-woke problematic bullshit. He’s the male equivalent of Jameela Jamil. Completely lost in his own privilege.

Reactions: 13
He tweeted today saying:
Interesting that when pedestrians block a road for one day it is called disruption and when cars block a road every day of the year it is called traffic.

Maybe that is because roads are built for CARS. What a dolt. He is becoming a right pain in the ass. I am going to assume he never drives anywhere then?

I unfollowed him for that reason too, amongst others. I found him self-righteous and his SM actually a bit depressing, which is ironic.
He has never learned to drive, he doesn't have a license that's why. His wife does the driving when it's needed

Reactions: 2
This thread completely sums it up for me. He is one of those people who everyone seems to think the world of and yet I find him so irritating and preachy. And condescending. As someone who is making a fair whack out of mental health I couldn’t listen to it anymore and i unfollowed him ages ago. This whole genre of mental health is good for MH but I fear it has gone a bit far in some cases. I really don’t find knowing absolutely everything about everyone that helpful. And he was being a dick about Britney. Total diva.

What did he say about Britney?!
Britney shared an image on her Instagram of a quote of his but it didn't name him as the source. Matt then tweeted this and threw a hissy fit on Insta because she didn't credit him. She probably didn't realise such a basic quote could come from a man in his 40s. He also sent his followers to spam her insta asking her to credit him. He seems like a dick.

Reactions: 1
Britney shared an image on her Instagram of a quote of his but it didn't name him as the source. Matt then tweeted this and threw a hissy fit on Insta because she didn't credit him. She probably didn't realise such a basic quote could come from a man in his 40s. He also sent his followers to spam her insta asking her to credit him. He seems like a dick.
Ahhh I remember now! Thank you. Anyone with a big following who encourages their followers to turn on someone needs to seriously reflect.

Ahhh I remember now! Thank you. Anyone with a big following who encourages their followers to turn on someone needs to seriously reflect.
You think he would be more considerate considering Britney's own mental health problems.

Reactions: 8