Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
he also tweeted this this morning, on the end of the "I am not a mental health writer" tweets

20210715_211800.jpg

and, it's really been bugging me, but he's been more ridiculous than ever the last couple of days

like, you cannot make a massive amount of money from a best selling book about your mental health, give interviews all over the place about mental health, tweet constantly about mental health and then decide, as a consequence of the pushback to a stupid ill-judged tweet, to declare that you are not a mental health writer

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Wave (Tunnel’s version for all those who may be upset at the moment by certain tweets)

Sometimes you have to have to let the proverbial wash over you like a wave on a pebbly beach, somewhere in the south east of England where Londoners move to when they pretend they have had too much of the rat race but really they want to shop in a bigger Waitrose and live in pastel-coloured terraces. Sometimes that wave crashes so loudly you think you are back in the Hacienda when times were good and drinks were cheap. Sometimes the wave ripples slowly onto the beach, reminding you that water never flows uphill. Pain never lasts. Hold on.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Wave (Tunnel’s version for all those who may be upset at the moment by certain tweets)

Sometimes you have to have to let the proverbial wash over you like a wave on a pebbly beach, somewhere in the south east of England where Londoners move to when they pretend they have had too much of the rat race but really they want to shop in a bigger Waitrose and live in pastel-coloured terraces. Sometimes that wave crashes so loudly you think you are back in the Hacienda when times were good and drinks were cheap. Sometimes the wave ripples slowly onto the beach, reminding you that water never flows uphill. Pain never lasts. Hold on.
If I could i would pay you 600000 in coins to write a full Haigian opus to fool his readers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
What he talks about is such ‘palatable’ MH bullshit. That’s why it’s so popular. I read the Midnight Library as my sister in law passes her read books on to me an I could not understand how this does not count as Young Adult fiction??? Just so obvious and simple.

Reactions: 10
How self indulgent - I just wanted to read this so I wrote it and not at all because I can con everyone into paying 17 quid for it.
What a rip off!

And such a shame to think of all the genuinely brilliant books that get little attention.

Reactions: 6
he is once again retweeting people sharing pages from the comfort break book

last one might be traumatic to readers of the jack thread - remember the mussels 🥴 and a reminder - £16.99!!!

Screenshot_20210716-191906_Twitter.jpg

20210716_192026.jpg

20210716_192014.jpg

20210716_191958.jpg

• Haha
As an ex-science teacher I am completely flummoxed as to why him lying down and eating a pear is equivalent to sideways momentum.

Momentum equals mass multiplied by velocity. Where is his speed and direction outlined in this paragraph?

Tosh. Utter, utter tosh.

Edit, I also taught Psychology and everything he writes offends me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
28022002-B425-4076-91E1-F47607511ACA.jpeg

Wow, I am sure that some people have depression or other mental health problems so bad that their “bad days” DO last and last and last and feel like they will never end. This is just so unbelievably patronising and trite 🤮🤮🤮

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
I was going to write a long post about the prognosis of certain disorders that have considerable contributions from genetic factors I don’t want to waste my emotive energy on him so in summary, as you say, it is patronising and harmful to suggest that everyone with a mental health condition will get better.

He actually knows nothing. He is out there pedalling false information and in doing so people think that having a “baggy routine🤢” will make them feel happy. It won’t.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
yep, I know you all know this but, when the bad days hit, they seem to go on forever. however much you want to cling to "this too shall pass" and whatever, sometimes it just doesn't feel like it will

and he's out there, saying peanut butter and pears will make it all better

• Heart
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
You can just tell when he’s writing this tit, he gives himself a bit of a semi.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I’m fairly tired so please forgive me. I want to say that not everyone recovers from a mental health condition unfortunately, and that’s ignoring how pithy words don’t help.

I have CPTSD and I don’t think I’ll ever make a full recovery unfortunately. I’m lucky enough to be receiving therapy which is sadly time-limited but not lucky enough to be able to afford to go privately. The therapy comment he made this week pissed me off as a result.

This is just more proof how he doesn’t have the capacity to see outside his own sphere. He truly doesn’t know a thing and is insulting those of us who are struggling. I’m so pissed off.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
A little plan

Be curious (though you’ll have to stop if you can’t afford further education). Go outside (assuming you live somewhere safe and pleasant, and not somewhere yucky like Grimsby or Stevenage). Get to bed on time (family or work commitments messing that up for you? Too bad). Hydrate (if you work without regular access to a toilet, you’ll have to skip this). Breathe from the diaphragm (breathing properly really is great if you’re able to). Eat happy (if the foodbank allows it). Get a routine baggy enough to live in (seriously, who can choose to do this?).

Be kind (critical thinking and boundaries can go). Accept that not everyone will like you, appreciate those who do (genuinely good advice, shame Matt isn’t an example of this). Don’t be defined (ignore the fact that you may be regardless of your mindset). Allow duck-ups (but remember to play the victim). Want what you already have (even if it’s inadequate housing, poor health, £3 to feed yourself until payday, etc). Learn to say no to things that get in the way of life (does he realise that for most people this is work?). And say yes to this that help you live (yes! Once you’ve clocked out for the day. Money and time permitting).

-

Sorry for the long post, that page just wound me up. These are all just platitudes that you can find for free across the internet. It’s sad to see someone dubbed a “mental health expert” (although he is not) writing a book that shows such poor understanding of mental illness and the reality of how limited people can be in terms of their ability to make these “improvements”.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Just a message in light of today’s weather…

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of the Matt Haig tattle thread

Wear sunscreen.

He has also posted this. I mean, in the current climate I am not entirely sure how true this is anymore. For certain disorders. (schizophrenia and DID being prime examples) the ones he and others don’t mention, absolutely and that 100% has to change. However, for depression, anxiety and certain ED, thankfully the public perception has changed.

I think he thinks everyone looks at him as though he is the unique, fragile one who tried to commit suicide 20 years ago because of his depression and panic disorder but really, thanks to the work of 1000s of mental health workers it is that is simply not the case. Obviously there is still work to be done with men and suicide rates but to simply ask them to reach out is a reductive response to a very complex situation.

0B0941DF-0588-4DFB-994B-1E941794A62E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Dogs don’t feel guilt. If you think they do you are anthropomorphising them. Don’t write a post about an emotion that another species cannot experience and make other people feel as though they should follow your rules of life.

F7A6FD00-9DFE-4184-AEA4-852BB7A678C0.jpeg

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
from last night... really?? REALLY???
20210718_092337.jpg

and swiftly deleted this morning, knobber

20210718_092419.jpg

• Sick
Reactions: 7
‘I’ve had a wine’ :sick: the sentient Pinterest board strikes again. I hope his wife was out with friends (and that she has LOTS of friends…) There are some lovely bars in Brighton where she could escape him ghoulishly tweeting about how he can out-Haig himself. Also you can have this one for free petal, I went on Pinterest and typed in ‘wine’.
Thanks for the receipts as always Kachoo 😘

3AE7138D-93FB-405E-8FF2-832B5047285E.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart