Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have enjoyed his books and have followed him on Twitter, but recently unfollowed because I find him a bit pious. He has done a lot for mental health awareness but he is not my cup of tea.

Reactions: 4
Has he jumped on the Sali Hughes bandwagon?

I have enjoyed his books and have followed him on Twitter, but recently unfollowed because I find him a bit pious. He has done a lot for mental health awareness but he is not my cup of tea.
That's exactly my thoughts too.

His book how to stay alive at first made me think, great, something I can read to give me hope.
It was extremely depressing and I think self-indulgent. Saw some bits and pieces on Twitter, and he seemed like completely unrelatable and privileged in my opinion. I couldn't finish the book, unfortunately.

Reactions: 6
His book how to stay alive at first made me think, great, something I can read to give me hope.
It was extremely depressing and I think self-indulgent. Saw some bits and pieces on Twitter, and he seemed like completely unrelatable and privileged in my opinion. I couldn't finish the book, unfortunately.
It's funny as one of his books (Notes on a Nervous Planet) goes on about how the media and many corporations aim is to make people feel down, yet I feel his book did that too. It seemed depressing.

Reactions: 5
Maybe he should never have been a writer?
Just stuck to philosophising like some Oracle

Reactions: 2
I've just recently unfollowed him. Followed after first reading Notes on a Nervous Planet which I thought was fantastic and refreshing. But it's his own behaviour on Social Media that ruined it for me.
He's constantly engaging in pointless Twitter and Instagram arguments ignited by comments that challenge his opinion - one of which was while he was also posting about enjoying his family holiday?! Sorry but that really bothered me, spending your family time engaging in a cesspit of endless back and forth when you literally just released a book with the message of discouraging this.

Also recently made posts on several of his platforms about one person who said she's unfollowing him because she followed him for positivity not politics when really most people with a large platform would probably know best to just ignore it.
This is the complete opposite sentiment of the book and the reality is that if you're writing a book about this topic there's an element of responsibility on your part to practice what you're preaching otherwise the work comes across as false.

Reactions: 15
He tweeted today saying:
Interesting that when pedestrians block a road for one day it is called disruption and when cars block a road every day of the year it is called traffic.

Maybe that is because roads are built for CARS. What a dolt. He is becoming a right pain in the ass. I am going to assume he never drives anywhere then?

I've just recently unfollowed him. Followed after first reading Notes on a Nervous Planet which I thought was fantastic and refreshing. But it's his own behaviour on Social Media that ruined it for me.
He's constantly engaging in pointless Twitter and Instagram arguments ignited by comments that challenge his opinion - one of which was while he was also posting about enjoying his family holiday?! Sorry but that really bothered me, spending your family time engaging in a cesspit of endless back and forth when you literally just released a book with the message of discouraging this.

Also recently made posts on several of his platforms about one person who said she's unfollowing him because she followed him for positivity not politics when really most people with a large platform would probably know best to just ignore it.
This is the complete opposite sentiment of the book and the reality is that if you're writing a book about this topic there's an element of responsibility on your part to practice what you're preaching otherwise the work comes across as false.
I unfollowed him for that reason too, amongst others. I found him self-righteous and his SM actually a bit depressing, which is ironic.

Reactions: 7
He once tweeted about writing a book about gender/feminism/masculinity or something along those lines, and at the slightest bit of questioning he had a temper tantrum and said something along the lines of no wonder men don't speak up.

I'm glad some people seem to get something out of his talking about mental health but I can't personally stand his bland observations.

Reactions: 7
He once tweeted about writing a book about gender/feminism/masculinity or something along those lines, and at the slightest bit of questioning he had a temper tantrum and said something along the lines of no wonder men don't speak up.

I'm glad some people seem to get something out of his talking about mental health but I can't personally stand his bland observations.
It seems to be quite prevalent amongst the big Tweeters that if anyone questions them they have a tantrum. It's a medium meant for conversation, part of conversations is asking one another questions. At least a good one is!

LOL, what a dolt. Such an attention seeker.
Thing is, without Twitter he'd lose readers for his books. He needs it to keep pumping out the retweetable inspirational quotes and smug lefty politics (our political stances are pretty similar but the way he goes on irritates even me) that got him so much interest in the first place.

Thing is, without Twitter he'd lose readers for his books. He needs it to keep pumping out the retweetable inspirational quotes and smug lefty politics (our political stances are pretty similar but the way he goes on irritates even me) that got him so much interest in the first place.
He sounds so smug being like "I have a novel to write." he never used to be this annoying.

Reactions: 4
He sounds so smug being like "I have a novel to write." he never used to be this annoying.
Becoming a big account on Twitter seems to have that affect on a lot of the British left writer / journalist gang. Very smug and preachy and braggy in a way I cannot stomach. I don't begrudge people success but I also don't want to read those kind of posts.

Reactions: 9
Becoming a big account on Twitter seems to have that affect on a lot of the British left writer / journalist gang. Very smug and preachy and braggy in a way I cannot stomach. I don't begrudge people success but I also don't want to read those kind of posts.
I have had to unfollow a load of British writers / journalists recently as they've become a pain in the ass.

I swiftly unfollowed him after he mentioned for the 856th time that Meghan put his poem in vogue. There's just something about him that makes me feel like it's more about associating himself with celebs than anything else.

Reactions: 9
I then followed him on twitter and my god it really
Irks me that someone so terribly middle class and boring has the crown for ‘changing mental health’

He hasn’t at all. He whinges, moans and shames people. He doesn’t accept anyone else’s mental health journey other than his own. He recommends things that are impossible for working class (stopping working so hard, taking time out, just ‘hopping on a plane’ when he needs a break. )
So agree with you on this. It's a hell of a lot easier to "self care" or whatever if you're not waiting for some work at your zero hours gig so you can eat this week. Or not spending most of your waking hours at a soul destroying call centre (not that all working class jobs are depressing, I've done enough of them to know! But some are). Likewise if you don't have caring responsibilities that mean you can't just have a hot bath with candles and read a book for a few hours.

Reactions: 8
So agree with you on this. It's a hell of a lot easier to "self care" or whatever if you're not waiting for some work at your zero hours gig so you can eat this week. Or not spending most of your waking hours at a soul destroying call centre (not that all working class jobs are depressing, I've done enough of them to know! But some are). Likewise if you don't have caring responsibilities that mean you can't just have a hot bath with candles and read a book for a few hours.
I think most working class jobs are depressing because it always feels like you are doing all the work and yet you are taking home duck all for it!
That said - we poor folk do know how to havea laugh!

But yes the ignorance of it is so polarising

Reactions: 10
I think most working class jobs are depressing because it always feels like you are doing all the work and yet you are taking home duck all for it!
That said - we poor folk do know how to havea laugh!

But yes the ignorance of it is so polarising
Haha, so true about doing all the work for FA money. But yeah I've had a good laugh at most jobs and I've done a lot of care work, that made me feel like I was making a difference to more than just someone's bank balance. Still no chance of hopping on a plane at random though. It's making me angry how removed from reality Matt Haig is!

Reactions: 3