Martin Lewis the Money Saving Expert

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Starting a thread for the guy as a few have talked about how unhelpful he's been during covid-19 all over the media as if he's an employment expert.

He was happy to push the Icelandic savings accounts back in 2004-08 even though they were an inferior product because he got £200 referral per account open and didn't disclose it.

The whole money saving expert site was set up to make money out of referral money because financial services pay so much. This wasn't clearly disclosed for a long time on the site.

He was given the status as if if it was a charity and saviour trying to help people where the main motivation was to make cash. That's my thoughts anyway and always found the brand a bit shady for their first 10 or so years.

• Wow
Reactions: 39
I’ve followed ML’s advice for years and now I’m wondering if he’s been advising on finances like he has employment issues; his advice has been incredibly frustrating for employers who have no obligation to furlough staff, and carry risks including financial obligation for accrued statutory holiday, but he made out that not doing so was immoral.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I love Martin Lewis, he’s saved me a fortune over the years. He helped my husband with a ppi claim we had issues with, he helped on Twitter he was brilliant, we ended up getting £12k with a loophole he told us about. He’s given £1 million of his own money to charities that will help people who have been affected by covid19.
I‘ve never heard a bad word said about him. Big fan here 😂

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 99
I met Martin once at the ideal home show. He refused to take photos with us because we were wearing branded tshirts and he didn't want to be seen promoting them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I like the guy in general but as someone said above, his employment advice is bad and in some cases plain wrong. The amount of grief I’ve had to deal with at work recently because of people taking his advice is unreal. Stick to what you know.

I’ve followed ML’s advice for years and now I’m wondering if he’s been advising on finances like he has employment issues; his advice has been incredibly frustrating for employers who have no obligation to furlough staff, and carry risks including financial obligation for accrued statutory holiday, but he made out that not doing so was immoral.
Not just statutory holiday pay but potentially redundancy pay- for taking someone back on who left voluntarily! Madness- and all you see on his page are people saying employers are spiteful for not taking people back on because it doesn’t cost them anything! He should tell people exactly what the risks are for employers and why they won’t take people back if he is going to tell people to go ask ex employers- not just say well they might say no, it’s discretionary!

Reactions: 10
I can't stand him. Find him so irritating. Now ppi is over what exactly does he advise on? He talks too fast. I feel like his shows are really unorganised and unplanned.

He also gets soooooo offended if anyone criticising him. Calm down mart.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
I met Martin once at the ideal home show. He refused to take photos with us because we were wearing branded tshirts and he didn't want to be seen promoting them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Just reminded me that we had Steve McFadden (Phil Mitchell) in my old store once, and I was the mug who had to approach him & ask for a picture (our stores had a monthly celeb spot on the newsletter). He was SO miserable, and he refused a picture because he didnt want to be seen to promote the brand.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I can’t watch him. What’s the point in talking so fast to get your words out that no one actually takes in what he says, unless you record it and play it back? Also, not all of the advice he gives is correct, he’s causing problems when consumers are claiming they know better as he told them and it’s still wrong

Reactions: 8
I really can't complain.

THE MSE Forum and the newsletters have been a great source of information for me over the years and enhanced my life in many ways.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
He reminds me of a wasp at a picnic, constantly hanging around and won’t piss off

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I like the guy in general but as someone said above, his employment advice is bad and in some cases plain wrong. The amount of grief I’ve had to deal with at work recently because of people taking his advice is unreal. Stick to what you know.

Not just statutory holiday pay but potentially redundancy pay- for taking someone back on who left voluntarily! Madness- and all you see on his page are people saying employers are spiteful for not taking people back on because it doesn’t cost them anything! He should tell people exactly what the risks are for employers and why they won’t take people back if he is going to tell people to go ask ex employers- not just say well they might say no, it’s discretionary!
This, 100%! He gave so much incorrect advice over furlough and caused so many headaches for me and HR colleagues. His weekly emails where it was mentioned were aggressive, it's like be wanted to bankrupt the country too.

I have followed some financial advice and I've used his website for energy, bank account and credit cards. Didn't know about the £200 referral the OP mentioned 😳

Stick to what you know

Reactions: 8
He’s caused me sooooo many problems too regarding furlough, wish he’d keep his mouth shut! Had so many people moaning that we’re doing payroll wrong when we’re the payroll experts and he isn’t. Wish he’d check before announcing a load of rubbish to people

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Can’t stand the man. People put him on a pedestal but he got there being shady as hell back in the day earning money from people without disclosing it. A lot of the advice he gives is inaccurate or misleading and some of the stuff he’s spouted during covid is quite frankly disgraceful. Particularly around weddings. Has no concept of how businesses need to operate if he’s advising people to reemploy people who left of their own free will

• Heart
I don't find him helpful but that's my opinion and in some cases he sits on the fence.
I have been having issues with a well known holiday company as my holiday was cancelled due to Corona Virus which i completely understood. Under the terms and conditions we was entitled to a refund however the company refused to refund us and wanted to give us a credit voucher. There was many disgruntled customers who contacted Martin Lewis for his help and opinion. He did a phone in on This Morning and he basically said we should accept the credit voucher as this would prevent the company from going to administration or liquidation. He wouldn't report on the fact that the holiday company acted unlawfully.
It was only that the company in question was reported to the FCA and CMA that they eventually backed down and refunded us.
Martin Lewis also has recommended a website which its a free service where you can make a complaint or need to resolve an issue. I used it and it was crap.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I don't find him helpful but that's my opinion and in some cases he sits on the fence.
I have been having issues with a well known holiday company as my holiday was cancelled due to Corona Virus which i completely understood. Under the terms and conditions we was entitled to a refund however the company refused to refund us and wanted to give us a credit voucher. There was many disgruntled customers who contacted Martin Lewis for his help and opinion. He did a phone in on This Morning and he basically said we should accept the credit voucher as this would prevent the company from going to administration or liquidation. He wouldn't report on the fact that the holiday company acted unlawfully.
It was only that the company in question was reported to the FCA and CMA that they eventually backed down and refunded us.
Martin Lewis also has recommended a website which its a free service where you can make a complaint or need to resolve an issue. I used it and it was crap.
Sorry to disagree with what you’ve said and also that you’ve had this hassle with your holiday! But I watched Martin Lewis talk about this on This Morning and he said it was unlawful and that people should insist on a refund from the company.

I also used the website her recommended to resolve issues with two companies. I got £2k back from one and over £5k back from another!

Ugh this guy was the bane of my existence when I worked in retail whilst in college/uni. The amount of times I would get customers quoting/misquoting trading standards was unreal. Don’t get me wrong- financial education and knowing your rights is a good thing, and it’s probably not his fault things got misinterpreted but if I had £1 for every time I heard “Martin Lewis says..” I think I’d be rich.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Ugh this guy was the bane of my existence when I worked in retail whilst in college/uni. The amount of times I would get customers quoting/misquoting trading standards was unreal. Don’t get me wrong- financial education and knowing your rights is a good thing, and it’s probably not his fault things got misinterpreted but if I had £1 for every time I heard “Martin Lewis says..” I think I’d be rich.
OMG yes, I work in retail banking and the amount of pricks who use that phrase 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 19
OMG yes, I work in retail banking and the amount of pricks who use that phrase 🤦‍♀️
I feel your pain - I work in HR and his furlough "advice"...! Until Lewis is an employment lawyer or HR Professional, he can go duck himself on that score. 🤬

• Heart
  • Haha