Martin Lewis the Money Saving Expert

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate that he pushes credit cards as a solution for money management. Why not talk about saving where you can, budgeting etc as the first solution? It’s so frustrating.

Also, when I found out he wasn’t gay I was STUNNED.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Yel

James O'Brien just described Martin Lewis as "one the greatest people to ever draw breath on this planet" 🙄

I get it that people benefit from his advice, but he's not doing it out of the goodness of his heart. He's doing it because all the affiliate links pay very well and have earnt him tens of millions of pounds in personal wealth.

I hate that he pushes credit cards as a solution for money management. Why not talk about saving where you can, budgeting etc as the first solution? It’s so frustrating.
Because credit card companies pay well for affiliate links, savings accounts don't now interest rates are near zero. He'll start pushing saving again when the affiliate amounts get lucrative.

Reactions: 12
I once heard him say in an interview that he doesn’t like music. I’ve been a bit freaked out by him ever since!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
I can totally imagine what his personality is like because he definitely hates being criticised. Years ago when I used to watch This Morning it was obvious he and Schofe didn't get on, there was so much tension between them. It almost made it worth watching. I don't watch any of his shows or anything he's on but he personally made me thousands of pounds with good advice and pointers so I can't really fault him. I always found the forums on MSE a bit snippy though! I think it's fine for him to have made money through affiliate links as long as its transparent, he is obviously passionate about what he does.

I think some of the information on mse can be helpful and it’s definitely got its place. Martin Lewis is really annoying though and I can’t stand the tv show. All his shouting and recent advice about furlough. Like many others, I work in HR/recruitment and his misinformation has caused no end of grief. If someone has chose to leave the company then it’s not so easy to just re employ temporarily.

Reactions: 3
Every time I've seen him he's been shouting. He must be a nightmare to work for.

Reactions: 1
I think some of the information on mse can be helpful and it’s definitely got its place. Martin Lewis is really annoying though and I can’t stand the tv show. All his shouting and recent advice about furlough. Like many others, I work in HR/recruitment and his misinformation has caused no end of grief. If someone has chose to leave the company then it’s not so easy to just re employ temporarily.
I didn’t really get where he was going with that 🤷‍♀️ We’d actually let someone go due to poor performance a few weeks prior to furlough and she expected us to re-employ her because Martin said so! Obviously we didn’t but some businesses would have done this and then be stuck with excess staff when furlough ends! Plus how irresponsible to encourage people to try and rinse a system which has been put in place to help people!

I didn’t really get where he was going with that 🤷‍♀️ We’d actually let someone go due to poor performance a few weeks prior to furlough and she expected us to re-employ her because Martin said so! Obviously we didn’t but some businesses would have done this and then be stuck with excess staff when furlough ends! Plus how irresponsible to encourage people to try and rinse a system which has been put in place to help people!

We are the same, we had some possible redundancy consultations planned for April but didn’t take that forward or announce to employees as it would be seen to be Coronavirus related and the reality is we have kept a few hundred on furlough and paid in full as we have topped up the 20%. The reality now is as we move towards the business fully reopening there will be lots more redundancies coming up but we did what we could to help employees while we could. We also paid employees who were in the business less than a month and those who were due to start in April and had handed their notice in to previous employers so those people don’t get no pay. There has to be a balance between business decisions social responsibility but you can’t please everyone

Reactions: 8
He talks really fast and uses his hands a lot whilst talking which is annoying

His webpage relies a lot on the posters for content, then the staff more or less post it as their own eg deals in shops

His hacks/deals etc get recycled a lot which is like Groundhog Day eg loan/energy advice

When he gets a bee in his bonnet he goes red

I work in HR and this drove me insane. I work for a key provision so my queries were lower than others will have had, but I still had a lot of "Martin said I can be furloughed because of childcare needs". 🙄

I'm waiting for him to complain about the increase in taxes/business rates/prices due to the amount the government have had to shell out for people fleecing the system under his instruction.

Sorry to disagree with what you’ve said and also that you’ve had this hassle with your holiday! But I watched Martin Lewis talk about this on This Morning and he said it was unlawful and that people should insist on a refund from the company.

I also used the website her recommended to resolve issues with two companies. I got £2k back from one and over £5k back from another!
Could you tell me the website please? Think I could use something like this for a problem I’m having. Thanks

Could you tell me the website please? Think I could use something like this for a problem I’m having. Thanks
Hi, the company I used was called Resolver. Everything was done online via an email tool on their website. I found it really useful. Hope it’s helpful to you.

Yel

Martin said I can be furloughed
I don't even work in HR and I find it annoying. Lots now seem to expect to be rehired to be furloughed as if it's a right when they chose to leave.

Sure the company can if they want to, but it's not an obligation and comes with risks for them so understandable that they wouldn't. Why can't he just say that?

Reactions: 5
I don't even work in HR and I find it annoying. Lots now seem to expect to be rehired to be furloughed as if it's a right when they chose to leave.

Sure the company can if they want to, but it's not an obligation and comes with risks for them so understandable that they wouldn't. Why can't he just say that?
Agreed. Why do people think they can sit around not working, and he's enabling it. It angers me so much.

I too work in HR and the headaches ML has caused with furlough is ridiculous. How can he get away with speaking on national television giving completely the wrong advice?

We had calls from people wanting to be reinstated so they could have furlough because ‘Martin Lewis told them they could’. What he failed to mention is that we’d then be left with staff we don’t want or need once furlough is over and have to let them go again, then they could claim constructive dismissal or whatever. It’s all a mess thanks to him. Then there was the famous tweet that people could bypass their employment contract and have a second job on furlough!

ML needs to stick to talking about PPI as he never has been or ever will work in employment law. He owes a huge apology to the entire sector because of the stress and pressure brought on from his untrue words.

Reactions: 10
Just reminded me that we had Steve McFadden (Phil Mitchell) in my old store once, and I was the mug who had to approach him & ask for a picture (our stores had a monthly celeb spot on the newsletter). He was SO miserable, and he refused a picture because he didnt want to be seen to promote the brand.
“In my old store”

This is Steve McFadden. Are you entirely sure you weren’t just innocently out in the shop car park leaving work one night and he was out there looking for some dogging action 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I still can't believe he did that. Also, on furlough don't you continue to accrue holiday? So if you re employed those that left then got rid of them, they would have accrued holiday that you'd have to pay them for?
Also, if staff left for a new job why couldnt they be furloughed by their new employer? I don't worm in hr but that seems obvious to me. I seriously don't rate him at all.