Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Disneylover

VIP Member
I love Martin Lewis, he’s saved me a fortune over the years. He helped my husband with a ppi claim we had issues with, he helped on Twitter he was brilliant, we ended up getting £12k with a loophole he told us about. He’s given £1 million of his own money to charities that will help people who have been affected by covid19.
I‘ve never heard a bad word said about him. Big fan here 😂

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 99

Yel

Chatty Member
Starting a thread for the guy as a few have talked about how unhelpful he's been during covid-19 all over the media as if he's an employment expert.

He was happy to push the Icelandic savings accounts back in 2004-08 even though they were an inferior product because he got £200 referral per account open and didn't disclose it.

The whole money saving expert site was set up to make money out of referral money because financial services pay so much. This wasn't clearly disclosed for a long time on the site.

He was given the status as if if it was a charity and saviour trying to help people where the main motivation was to make cash. That's my thoughts anyway and always found the brand a bit shady for their first 10 or so years.

• Wow
Reactions: 39

Kat5998

VIP Member
He reminds me of a wasp at a picnic, constantly hanging around and won’t piss off

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I met Martin once at the ideal home show. He refused to take photos with us because we were wearing branded tshirts and he didn't want to be seen promoting them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Tittattattit

Chatty Member
I really can't complain.

THE MSE Forum and the newsletters have been a great source of information for me over the years and enhanced my life in many ways.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

user373738

I don’t like him either.
Off topic (sorry, don’t know how to add the spoiler alert as I’m new to posting, it experienced in lurking) but my husband went to uni with ML and apparently he tried to take legal action against them for giving him a 2:2. Oh and he was a total dick.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

Sunflower91

VIP Member
Ugh this guy was the bane of my existence when I worked in retail whilst in college/uni. The amount of times I would get customers quoting/misquoting trading standards was unreal. Don’t get me wrong- financial education and knowing your rights is a good thing, and it’s probably not his fault things got misinterpreted but if I had £1 for every time I heard “Martin Lewis says..” I think I’d be rich.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Ugh this guy was the bane of my existence when I worked in retail whilst in college/uni. The amount of times I would get customers quoting/misquoting trading standards was unreal. Don’t get me wrong- financial education and knowing your rights is a good thing, and it’s probably not his fault things got misinterpreted but if I had £1 for every time I heard “Martin Lewis says..” I think I’d be rich.
OMG yes, I work in retail banking and the amount of pricks who use that phrase 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 19

FunkyMonkey

Chatty Member
I once heard him say in an interview that he doesn’t like music. I’ve been a bit freaked out by him ever since!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
I'm not the only one who doesn't find his advice useful

Totally not his fault. She paid for hol for herself and 3 or so friends. She applied for refund... The bank gave her the money. She paid back friends (either before or after bank gave her money) The bank took the money off her for whatever reason. 1) Martin Lewis didn't make her book holiday. 2) Martin Lewis didn't cancel holiday 3) Martin Lewis did not make her pay back the other parties. She will get a refund at some point. Honestly people want too much from this man.

• Heart

Ladyloulou35

I work for a large retail chain and at Christmas we have special deals every week, Martin Lewis tips people off as to when a certain one is starting, sadly every year he is wrong😂😂 the amount of conversations I have had that start with Martin Lewis says........... then I alway say, does Martin Lewis work for ........? They cannot believe he is wrong though and often stand there arguing 😂😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Angry

Ineedmorecoffee

Chatty Member
When he does that show with Angelica Bell, apart from the moving debt from one credit card to another which just sounds risky, it sounds like really obvious stuff he's telling the country to do.

Thing is, it might be obvious to you, or me, but some people really do struggle with finances and understanding what’s out there and what’s best for them. It’s not taught in schools either, which he has championed. He produced a book a few years back to give away to schools. I go hold of a copy on Amazon and it’s been brilliant for explaining things to my teen such as tax, interest rates, mortgages, credit cards etc.

I totally get he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I can only handle him in small doses on tv!

• Heart
Reactions: 14

FreakyFriday

So Martin has read here 🤣 He was on This Morning earlier and made such a point about him not being an employment law expert he can only give his thoughts etc etc regarding a lady asking about furlough 😮🙄 Yesterday if he'd been asked the same question he would have spouted on with his advice with no disclaimer for sure!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
Ahhhhhhhhhhh you are the one person who bought PPI!
I had PPI added to my credit card back in the early 90's, I was charged for one month and I told them I did not want it. Bank did not have the records on how much I had paid. So they paid me the average customer payout - I got over £5,200! Another bank sent me a cheque for 42pence.....

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13

Handerton

Chatty Member
I used his for forum for advice . Filled in the resolver form and got all my ppi back & bank acc charges . Forever thankful for the advice . His advice lately isn't quite correct regarding Furlough although I'm still working so doesn't affect me but it does my friends.
I usually go to his website for car insurance tips. Fuck me my latest quote is £600! Driving 27 yrs, NC, live in a nice area . New car but fuck me . It's up for renewal in 2 weeks . (Axa 😠).
Might be too late for you, but my trick with this is to actually phone the companies for a quote. I’ve been driving a similar amount of time with no accidents or claims and only drive about 6000 miles a year but was getting online quotes over £450.
When I phoned they asked me what other prices I’d been given. I said £211, they quickly came back with fully comp, 8k miles, NC protection and windscreen cover for £220. Same company online - £475. I’m pretty sure there’s some sort of online price fixing going on
Of course MSE wouldn’t advise phoning the company for a better price as they get their affiliate fee only for insurance purchased online

Reactions: 13