Marriage Story

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes I watched it on Netflix a few days ago.
I definitely enjoyed it. Felt to me like the film
Woody Allen never made - had so many of the qualities of his best work. The performances were great - Adam Driver is a truely unique talent isn’t he?
Scarlett Johansson was very good too - I believed in them as a couple. I’ve seen people saying they didn’t buy them but I thought they had real chemistry.
That said I’m struggling to pick out much more. I didn’t find it so very wonderful like the buzz around it made me think I would. In fact I think ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ by the same director Noah Baumbach also for Netflix was much better and more special.

Overall pretty good, but not outstanding - 7/10

That said I did watch it on my phone, not something i would usually do, which may have hampered the full experience.

Reactions: 3
@Horatio I loved the chemistry between them, the big argument that they had in the apartment was absolutely breathtaking wasn’t it. I also found it was very interestingly done. On the surface it seemed to side with Charlie’s perspective but by actually watching it, really watching, it also sympathised with Nicole. It was definitely one of the best things I’ve seen in a long time.

@Horatio I loved the chemistry between them, the big argument that they had in the apartment was absolutely breathtaking wasn’t it. I also found it was very interestingly done. On the surface it seemed to side with Charlie’s perspective but by actually watching it, really watching, it also sympathised with Nicole. It was definitely one of the best things I’ve seen in a long time.
Interesting, I’d love to hear you expand on your thoughts on their perspectives...? I also read somewhere that it was unfairly weighted towards Charlie.
I’m not she really seeing how came off so badly? Because she followed her career ? Only after moulding into ths and that as his muse for the entitieity of their relationship? Pandering to his ‘genius’ and never having any of her desires taken seriously (moving to LA)And he cheated !

Adam Driver is my number one celeb crush lol. I've loved him since Girls season 1 ! Memories.
He's gone from that to Kylo/Ben to marriage story.. he is incredible !!
Scarletts scene when she leaves the room and just starts to cry broke my heart she is underrated and needs to do more work like this!

Deffo agree it was very woody allen

Adam Driver is my number one celeb crush lol. I've loved him since Girls season 1 ! Memories.
He's gone from that to Kylo/Ben to marriage story.. he is incredible !!
Scarletts scene when she leaves the room and just starts to cry broke my heart she is underrated and needs to do more work like this!
Yes wow funny you pick out that scene as that one really struck me too, far above all others.
Or maybe it’s perfectly logical due to the quality of her performance and the way the scene is shot and edited. All I know is that moment really caught me unaware and struck me emotionally, deeply. It’s literally her walking out of a room and breaking down after an argument but something in it is so real and painful.

Since it was so close to the start I thought ‘wow, I’m In for something really special’ but unfortunately didn’t react like that again. But full credit to Noah baumbach and Scarlett
Johannson for creating such a beautiful moment.

Adam Driver is great. He was a brilliant character in girls, and was born to play Kylo Ren. It’s satisfying how versatile he is. If you want to see him in more small indie roles like marriage story, check out out Paterson if you haven’t already. Another great director too.

Yes wow funny you pick out that scene as that one really struck me too, far above all others.
Or maybe it’s perfectly logical due to the quality of her performance and the way the scene is shot and edited. All I know is that moment really caught me unaware and struck me emotionally, deeply. It’s literally her walking out of a room and breaking down after an argument but something in it is so real and painful.

Since it was so close to the start I thought ‘wow, I’m In for something really special’ but unfortunately didn’t react like that again. But full credit to Noah baumbach and Scarlett
Johannson for creating such a beautiful moment.

Adam Driver is great. He was a brilliant character in girls, and was born to play Kylo Ren. It’s satisfying how versatile he is. If you want to see him in more small indie roles like marriage story, check out out Paterson if you haven’t already. Another great director too.
It's 5.30 am here and Im still awake cause I was working 9pm-9am over christmas. going to try and sleep and reply to this when I'm up but let me just say you are so articulate lol. I'm a doctor and can't even do that online lol reply tomorrow 😊

Oh and Horatio I have seen Paterson and have it on blu ray.. I've seen all his stuff and watched them on repeat.. I have 3 photos of him on my lockers in each hospital I work in ... obsessed lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2
It's 5.30 am here and Im still awake cause I was working 9pm-9am over christmas. going to try and sleep and reply to this when I'm up but let me just say you are so articulate lol. I'm a doctor and can't even do that online lol reply tomorrow 😊

Oh and Horatio I have seen Paterson and have it on blu ray.. I've seen all his stuff and watched them on repeat.. I have 3 photos of him on my lockers in each hospital I work in ... obsessed lol
Ah thanks i really appreciate that you’d say that. Reply whenever you want.
I’m in London so in the same time zone - and worked similar hours on Xmas funnily enough (tv news nothing as useful as medicine, but it still requires Christmas staff) I’m in an appalling sleeping pattern -not really sleeping at all. I’ve been an insomniac since my teens and will regularly stay up for two nights on the trot , as I am so used to it.

Back on topic, ok I feel a little silly recommending the film to the lady with 3 posters...
He’s a odd guy in interviews, I’m not sure if I like him (or maybe he’s just not trying to be “likeable”?) It did sound like he was done over by NPR playing the clip of him singing despite saying they wouldn’t, you hear about that?

I’m in London so in the same time zone - and worked similar hours on Xmas funnily enough (tv news nothing as useful as medicine, but it still requires Christmas staff) I’m in an appalling sleeping pattern -not really sleeping at all. I’ve been an insomniac since my teens and will regularly stay up for two nights on the trot , as I am so used to it.

Back on topic, ok I feel a little silly recommending the film to the lady with 3 posters...
He’s a odd guy in interviews, I’m not sure if I like him (or maybe he’s just not trying to be “likeable”?) It did sound like he was done over by NPR playing the clip of him singing despite saying they wouldn’t, you hear about that?
I just think he’s a really private guy, who hates the fame side. I felt sorry for him over that interview, they did it to get a reaction and it’s not fair.

I just think he’s a really private guy, who hates the fame side. I felt sorry for him over that interview, they did it to get a reaction and it’s not fair.
Agree. when I first skimmed the headline i thought it was a diva-ish flounce. But looking into it more it was clear how they screwed him. Mad how he's a such a famous screen actor and can’t watch himself, he probably should think about some therapy for that (though apparently it’s quite common I’ve learnt researching this).

I looked at the guardians article on it and claimed the station told him to take off his headphones ... so clearly they knew what was up (see statement below) Isn’t NPR supposed to be pretty respectable- the radio 4 of the states ?
Yeah part of me thinks if you are promoting a film you have to be able to respond to clips of it on occasion, however uncomfortable, it’s kind of part of the job.
BUT after seeing this gaslighting passive aggressive attitude from the shows executive producer, I can’t help but side with him:
“We don’t really understand why he left,” Fresh Air’s Miller told the Daily Beast. “We were looking forward to the interview. Terry thinks he’s a terrific actor, he was a great guest when he was on in 2015, so we were disappointed that we didn’t have a new interview to share with our listeners about Marriage Story.”

London is my favourite city go 4/5 times a year, lucky you I'm well jel!
Ah jaysus that's so bad for you have you seen a sleep tech??

Oh yeah that was so bad. They knew already he never watches himself in film or tv cause he prefers theatre where if he isn't happy with his performance he can do something different in the next show while on film he can't change anything!
He watched 2 films he was in and said he was cringing for weeks so never watched again !
The channel knew this and played the clip anyway !! I would have killed them! Haha
I think he's lovely just has anxiety and is soooo private !
Happy New years girl !

Sorry I'm so late to the party here (I usually am)

I watched this yesterday.

I thought this was a typical story of a woman resenting her partner because when they met she had not actually defined her role in life and he quite clearly had. Maybe they got married to fast and had the child too fast? She followed his lead because she thought he was brilliant, even if this put her self-development on a back burner. Although they 'talked' about LA etc they met in NYC and that is where they lived and had their child. I empathised with the husband in that he was quite blindsided buy her 'sudden' relocation back to LA after she had only told his it was a work trip. I'm just thinking that maybe she hadn't been vocal and definite enough with him about her actual wants and needs, only about 'some day'.. Maybe if she had he would have not married her and not had a child with her? She went along with things but was that really fair overall? I felt for him when she went against their agreement and got a lawyer without telling him was wrong. They way he 'was served' in LA and not NYC was wrong (IMO) and he had to change everything in his life because she moved to LA. I'm not particularly sure that was 100% fair to him or the boy (Who was an absolute brat BTW). He shouldn't have cheated, no. No excuses for me, then marriage ended then.

I watched this today and enjoyed it although found it hard to watch in places. Having been through the breakdown of a relationship for similar reasons parts were very close to home.