Making friends in a new town?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m looking for tips on how to meet new people in a new town. For background, I’m 28 and I’ve recently moved in with my boyfriend, in a small town in the countryside. Prior to this I lived in the city centre with my best friend and it felt like we were constantly meeting and hanging out with new people. My boyfriend has lived in this town for a couple of years, but he’s not originally from here so doesn’t really have any local friends either. I thought I was onto something with a neighbour, but I came home from shopping last week and saw her being loaded into the back of a police van, turns out she’s the local loony 😅 we’re going to start doing a pub quiz and go on a charity walk, that sounds like the entire town will be taking part in, but just wondered if anyone has any other ideas on how to meet new people when you literally don’t know anybody? I’ve tried googling this but the tips are like ‘go and hang out in a local book shop’ 🙄

(Read, and re-read my post 50 times to check for any potential holes in my story, I promise I’m not a troll! 😂)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
It is really hard making friends as you get older isn’t it! It seems like you’re doing all of the right things by getting yourself out there, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!
All I can say is that if you lived with me we could absolutely be friends based on our mutual love of Peter from Come Dine With Me 😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
It is really hard making friends as you get older isn’t it! It seems like you’re doing all of the right things by getting yourself out there, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!
All I can say is that if you lived with me we could absolutely be friends based on our mutual love of Peter from Come Dine With Me 😂😂
What a sad little life Jane! 😂 it’s so hard, I feel like I’ve romanticised it in my head, that one day we’ll just be sat in a pub and the table next to us will be a couple who we both get on with really well 😅 I wish I had a hobby or something. Thanks 🙏

Reactions: 1
You can Google meet ups in your local area, there will be apps that arrange things too. Facebook events and local interest groups. Obviously smaller places will have fewer. Just be careful to read the small print so you don’t accidentally join a swingers club!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
It's so hard to make friends in new places - I have a similar situation , I met my husband at uni and 4 years ago we moved to his home town so he has loads of pals here but I have none !!

I recently joined Meetup and have been to a few events on there (one was a walk , one was coffee and cake) and have met some lovely people that way ! I met a nice mum there who I now WhatsApp and we're meeting for coffee next week (context : I am a mum too .... !) ... but they have loads of groups on there for young professionals , parents , older people ... whoever you are , you'll find something :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You can Google meet ups in your local area, there will be apps that arrange things too. Facebook events and local interest groups. Obviously smaller places will have fewer. Just be careful to read the small print so you don’t accidentally join a swingers club!
Haha thank you! This has been my worry ‘young couple seeking young couple’
It's so hard to make friends in new places - I have a similar situation , I met my husband at uni and 4 years ago we moved to his home town so he has loads of pals here but I have none !!

I recently joined Meetup and have been to a few events on there (one was a walk , one was coffee and cake) and have met some lovely people that way ! I met a nice mum there who I now WhatsApp and we're meeting for coffee next week (context : I am a mum too .... !) ... but they have loads of groups on there for young professionals , parents , older people ... whoever you are , you'll find something :)
I hadn’t heard of Meetup, thank you! I shall have a look ☺

I was the same and I'm still a lonely cow 😂

You could try Bumble BFF. I met up with one girl from there and we had lunch at a pub. She lived really close. It's weird flipping through, like dating for friends. I found I didn't click with most people though because they were trying to add to their massive gang of mates and weren't really up for proper chats.

There was another girl from there I was stood up by. I was waiting in a pub (😂)

Do you have a dog? I always get chatting to other dog walkers, admittedly I haven't made any friends that way, but I think you could.

Any hobbies you could start?

do you work? could you maybe hang out with work colleagues?
could you start a hobby? gym, swimming or something?

I met one of my friends as they ran a independent shop that I went to a lot and we got talking, 7 years later still in contact.

good luck x