Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lilyannrose

Chatty Member
I just wish I knew what's happened to cause Madonna to end up this way. It is something more than a fear of getting old.

I've been looking back at her best work such as the Blond Ambition tour and am just utterly flabberghasted at what she's become. I do think some sort of drugs have to be involved, rumour has it as a result of falling off her horse about fifteen years ago.

Reactions: 21

coolcat2022

VIP Member
I was thinking exactly this. She was such a pioneer in her youth that I thought she would age with style and grace - rather like Katharine Hepburn, who seemed completely at ease with being older. Who would have thought Madonna would fight so fiercely against ageing? I know there are complicated emotional reasons for it but I wish she'd just gone with the natural look.

This is Melanie Ciccone, the sister closest in age to her. The pic gives an idea of how Madonna would have looked without the surgery.
Her sister has excellent bone structure. Shame Madonna didn’t just ‘stay the course’ with ageing. But then with narcissists - they can’t accept they are getting older. I always thought of Madonna as a rebel and she didn’t care what people thought. That’s obviously bollocks. Shame.

Fledgling Psycho

VIP Member
I always felt she never recovered emotionally from the Guy Ritchie split. These things go deep and no amount of 25 year olds heal the wounds. She seemed so much more rounded and happily vulnerable during their initial years. Then he goes on to have a successful second marriage. I know I'd struggle with all that.

Rita Chevrolet

VIP Member
I'm the same age as Madge. Yes I have white hair now and a few extra curves but bloody hell I'm glad I don't look like she does!

• Heart
  • Sad

PeteM

VIP Member
Unfortunately I think fans keep these artists relevant for too long. Not saying people can't be fans of an artist as they grow older, but when fans are kissing the artist's ass and acting as if they "still got it" at an advanced age, it does get a bit embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, some artists do still have it at a decent age, but many others simply don't. It feels as though they just continue performing because it's a nice bit of money for them. Then the concert organisers bring in these ex-big names from USA, usually soul/motown singers and it's clear they aren't the same as they once were.
Madonna's the main person trying to keep Madonna relevant. She's been beyond desperate in this respect for a good few years now.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

lime

I don't see why she should retire? She's an absolutely huge touring artist, her most successful tours being her most recent ones in her 50s which were only out-sold by AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Guns N Roses. She fills more seats than Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry... even at age 60. No one says the men should hang their shoes up so why should she. And as someone who grew up in the 80s, the fact that Madonna is still going and we've lost George, Prince, Whitney, Pete Burns, Bowie... my absolute idols as a kid. Haven't listened to a Madonna album for 20 years but I hope she keeps going forever!

• Heart

Some People!

Chatty Member
Whatever anyone thought of Madonna, she was always a professional. Her singing may have been somewhat dubious but her dancing and sheer showmanship back then was unmistakable. She managed to move with the times by changing her appearance - a bit like Bowie in that way.
Whilst not conventionally beautiful, she was always very striking. A commanding presence.
It was obvious she would never face the ageing process with fortitude, but I would never have thought she would end up as she has. It is absolutely shocking.
I guess I'd always expected her to go full Bonham/ Westwood eccentric once she started "properly" aging and embrace the crone life. It would have suited her.

Earlier Madonna would have been derisive about present Madonna, I think.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Like her or not, Lady Gaga has come across like such a clas act in her reaction (or lack of reaction) To Madonna’s tantrums.
She’s embarrassed herself and made herself look silly.

donutwitch

Chatty Member
It just doesn’t make any sense - I’m assuming the ‘story’ is that nobody knew she had a life-threatening bacterial infection until they got her to hospital… so why on earth would they use Narcan on her when they found her? It’s 100% an overdose. Hope this is a big wake up call for her, she’ll be mortified (as well as sounding very ill).

Rita Chevrolet

VIP Member
Madge and I are the same age only I have no desire to look like a plasticised freakshow. Whatever possesses women to do this to themselves?

Last edited:
  • Heart

henriettadubois2

Chatty Member
Hope she recovers and chills the fuck out.
Yes she went too far trying to be young etc but the start of this thread slating her and saying gaga is better is laughable. Without Madonna (and Grace Jones) there would be no Gaga. So easy to say “so and so” if better after they have been given the blueprint.

Gutted the legends of the 80s are all going/ill.
MJ, Whitney, George, Tina, Prince, please not Madonna yet. Trailblazers all. There will never be starts like that again. Real superstars known across the world by young and old.

• Heart

Whatevesmate

Chatty Member
Ageing is a process which is entirely out of her control and its obviously extremely difficult for her to cope with. What makes it all the more shocking, is seeing someone who so tightly controlled their public image, display their raging insecurity so blatantly. It's an ugly, disturbing sight. She reminds me of a cabbage patch doll.

77cb694a6eecfd83668e1f2fd2ce0b98--xavier-roberts-cabbage-patch-kids-dolls.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart

Silverback

VIP Member
I think if Madonna got rid of the arse implants, cheek implants and dressed classy in maybe old school Chanel or something, she could get some respect back. No one wants to see her tits and arse, we saw them back in the 90's and weren't keen then! I wouldn't say she is talentless, she obviously has balls and knows an opportunity when she sees one, but now needs to accept she is simply too old to compete with the youngsters, not that I think the modern trends are even particularly sexy or attractive.
Yes I’ve always thought this, she would have held respect as the matriarch of modern music and would still have be cool.
Instead she went down the route of wearing diamond grills, street fashion and incredibly botched surgery, and has ended up as a laughing stock.
The former option would have seen her in the front row of every fashion show and still having icon status.
I wouldn’t be surprised if she is an addict- after Prince’s shock death I wouldn’t be surprised if virtually all major pop stars are on something. It takes guts and self belief to get up on that stage constantly and perform to millions of people- it’s not naturally in our psyche to be able to do that.

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
Sorry, one more thing I want say (for now) is that Madonna LOVES music. So when you try to pick a favourite Madonna song, its so hard, I don’t know about you guys, but when someone asks your favourite Madonna song? I just think, “what era, what album, what genre, what mood?”

It really upset me learning that Madonna was unwell. I wish her well, and I feel for her loved ones. As a fan I need to get this out somewhere.

I have taken her for granted and I feel like such a prick. I forgot that she is human. I never expected her to get ill. And I keep reminding myself that it’s not about me, it about Madonna, and her loved ones, her kids, her family and friends.

She’s just been so much a part of my life that until Wednesday this week I never stopped to think about it. I literally think about her music every day. So Madonna, and her music, are like idk, always there.

I can’t even begin to explain how her music has been there for me, I know it’s the same for so many others on this thread and all over the world.

The Music album got me through my first serious heartbreak.
Jump helped me get thiugh so many crap jobs.
Vogue just gives me life.
Into the Groove gives me life too.
What It Feels like For A Girl made me see Madonna’s gentle side and made me appreciate my gentle side.
I Don’t Search I Find was my soundtrack on my way to health appointments.
Keep It Together is about family, but it helped me keep my head together when I was losing it.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg! If I want to feel reflective, I listen to The Bedtime Stories album, if I’m getting ready for a night out, it’s Confessions.

And that’s just the music! Madonna as a person has always inspired me, again, in such a way that I took it for granted. I’m bi, and it was amazing to see her support of gay people and HIV/AIDS organisations.

Every time I worry about turning a certain age, I think, “what was Madonna doing then?” … which is always fabulous. Turned 40? Ray of Light era girl!!!

I love that she’s this tiny strong lady, like so many of us women are. I love that she’s not a puppet to record companies or producers, she is in control. I LOVE what a ”control freak” she is. Because 1, that’s just how she is and theres no shame in that, and 2, thank FUCK she has always been in control of her music and image, because she knows what’s he’s doing, and hello, look at her 40 year career, it worked out great for her.… because, she knows what she’s doing, what works, and she is in contro!

And she LOVES music. With her, it’s not just about being famous, her music means something to her. She’s not just putting out songs written by a team of songwriters she’s NEVER done that, it’s all her.
I love music myself and I can tell when other people are the same. Madonna is the real deal. she’s never “trying to be relevant” she’s just really, REALLY interested in music, and looks for producers for each album to explore that with.

So of course it shook me the fuck up that it looked like she was seriously unwell. On a human level, I atheist-prayed for her and her family. And on a personal, selfish level, I just thought “for fucks sake no, we can’t have a world without Madonna”.

If anyone has read this far, thank you ✌🏻 I was trying to keep it brief!

Last edited:
  • Heart

lilyannrose

Chatty Member
It's all so boring. The religious imagery, the constant obsession with sex, the vulgarity...it's just so absolutely knackered at this point.

I'll be sticking to her back catalogue circa 1979 - 2012, while feeling grateful I got to see her tour when she was still a great performer who even someone like me could afford to access.

Reactions: 19