Madeleine McCann #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe they didn’t? Why would they be reluctant to hand it over if they have it on record ? the Maddie investigation was flawed from the start , how reliable are the police in that small town 🤷🏼‍♀️
As reliable as police in small towns all over the world, including here.

Reactions: 6
Yeah no.

Also - a “photogenic couple” - really?! Gerry & Kate McCann?! Come on.
I think Kate was pretty, in a petite small featured way, but probably not Gerry, he looks a bit controlling too to me.

That is the bit that is difficult to square, I agree.

I don’t subscribe to the theories about a big dark government coverup involving the media, police and legal system. I’ve been down those rabbit holes and they just go deeper and deeper with absolutely no resolution, linking up all kinds of people and shadowy organisations to the point of insanity. I don’t believe that the government, which (like any other organisation that isn’t a cult) is full of individuals who are awkward and moody and spiky and disorganised and have their own unique thoughts about things, is anywhere near agile, organised or creative enough for that.

My own assessment is that it happened organically and started with the McCanns getting the media on board early on, less through their own doing (although they did manage to hook up with the awful Clarence Mitchell) and more because the story of a photogenic couple, their pretty daughter, a terrifying “abduction” and a useless foreign police force wrote itself. The narrative was set early and an enthralled British audience couldn’t read enough about it. I rewatched the interview they gave 3 weeks after she disappeared and it is astonishing how the interviewer just goes along with the abduction theory and implies the Portuguese police bungled it. In fact I think the Portuguese police knew exactly what had happened within the first week and that it had nothing to do with an abduction.

I think what followed was a combination of strategy, error and bluff on the part of the U.K. government watching the public outpouring of support towards the McCanns and the continued sympathetic media narrative about them. Playing on distraction from what was going on at the time domestically maybe? Or wanting to build on a sense of patriotism or play up how brilliant our British police are in comparison to the fake errors of the Portuguese? Who knows. But I think it was decided that it was more politically expedient to capitalise on what was happening, and be seen as being on the side of the “good guys” I.e the McCanns - who at the same time with the help of Mitchell were proving themselves to be extraordinarily litigious.

As this trundled on through the years, and even as more and more people came to doubt the McCanns original story, the U.K. government ended up in an impossible position - and the people they needed to protect weren’t the McCanns but the reputation of the very same U.K. government who had committed to this idiocy in the first place. Way too embarrassing and difficult to back out so let’s throw more money at it and try to ignore it as much as possible. I honestly think subsequent government have stuck with this Operation Grange nonsense because they can’t figure out what to do about it without losing face. And a lot of people still believe that Madeleine was abducted and want whoever did it to be found and punished. The Op Grange money is an investment in perpetuating a myth that is so deeply embedded in modern British psyche that to rip it out would be too damaging to the reputation of the government at a time when that reputation is seriously in question.
I think the part about a lot of people still believing that Madeleine was abducted and want whoever did it to be found and punished, is so true.
It also applies to those that believe that her parents either killed her or covered up a fatal accident, because in the back of their minds there’s always the “what if I’m wrong and she actually was abducted?”
Because there’s still always the idea that someone may be living free and unpunished for it and that just isn’t a good thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I think Kate was pretty, in a petite small featured way, but probably not Gerry, he looks a bit controlling too to me.
I always thought Kate looked as if she was frightened of him. The way he held her hand, it wasn’t a couple holding hands for support, he was gripping it as if he was controlling her.
I don’t think they killed her, but I believe that they are covering up something up. Maybe her disappearance, maybe guilt that they left them alone that night.
Gerry was too defensive, too arrogant. Kate looked drawn and terrified. She is either hiding something or scared that she will saybthecwron* thing and incur Gerry’s wrath

Reactions: 7
I always thought Kate looked as if she was frightened of him. The way he held her hand, it wasn’t a couple holding hands for support, he was gripping it as if he was controlling her.
I don’t think they killed her, but I believe that they are covering up something up. Maybe her disappearance, maybe guilt that they left them alone that night.
Gerry was too defensive, too arrogant. Kate looked drawn and terrified. She is either hiding something or scared that she will saybthecwron* thing and incur Gerry’s wrath
Exactly this, he certainly wasn’t a man I could warm to that’s for sure.

Reactions: 9
goes through the roof and there is frantic fear, high anxiety, urgency, desperation, guilt, excessive activity (searching, searching, searching) and other behaviours such as sleeplessness that come from the terror of not knowing where your child is and having no closure or certainty about the situation.
Just imagining my child going missing is enough to make me feel like this. Once my child got out of bed and was opening and closing our front door (afternoon nap, door wasn't locked, I'm not perfect) and for days after I kept panicking about this, thinking what if he walked out and something happened and getting up to check the door was locked and he didn't even leave our house so this definitely rings true with me.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Ok…here goes.
My ex was a controlling man. At the time we were a very happy family, Enid Blyton type. But only because I did everything to make life easy, kids well behaved, smart, clean, no arguments. I was on a permanent diet, hair always just right, dressed smartly. Great cook but we only ate what he liked.
Life was bliss…as long as we did what he wanted.
I won’t bore you details but at that time, if he had insisted we went for a meal and left the children alone then I would have done it.
Anything to maintain the happy family. I really believed I was doing the best for my children.
When I look at Kate, I see me and him.

When I did stand up to him…I got promoted at work, was earning the same so queried why I could not make family decisions then he punished me by having an affair. It wasn’t the first, he did it to show I was not indispensable. But it gave me the courage to break free. My big mistake was not being open with my children and telling them how I had been bullied.

Kate is carrying guilt and still has two children to support and protect. She is hiding something.
When I look at her, I think….that could have been me, doing something I did not want to do just to keep everyone happy.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
They claimed the Portuguese police had tampered with the case and set them up as they didn’t want to take responsibility for a missing child. In fact the PJ were spot on and the dogs were reliable as they’d been used to convict criminals on many occasions before. The main officer who saw through the bullshit was harassed and threatened, his dog was kid and his family threatened. He wrote a book about the facts which the mccanns took him to court for, they lost.
The British public believed and supported the mccanns based on the information they provided, so many people believe the facts of the case are rumours. As the blood didn’t have enough markers to confirm it was 100% madeleines blood, they couldn’t legally accuse them although it could not have been anyone else’s blood. It was enough for them to spend their life in prison if they were Portuguese citizens, but being British they left the country and were safe. They are still ‘arguidos’ (suspects) in Portugal, but our government prevented them being arrested. P rings are notorious for covering each other’s backs, those in government and power will protect ‘their own’ if it prevents them being taken down with them. Gerry was very cocky and assured he would be safe, to be that confident he had a hold on someone powerful who protected them imo.
Gerry is cocky and defensively aggressive in stuff Ive seen.

Reactions: 13
Just imagining my child going missing is enough to make me feel like this. Once my child got out of bed and was opening and closing our front door (afternoon nap, door wasn't locked, I'm not perfect) and for days after I kept panicking about this, thinking what if he walked out and something happened and getting up to check the door was locked and he didn't even leave our house so this definitely rings true with me.
Oh I completely understand, I don’t think I’ve ever quite recovered from losing my son for an hour when he was much younger. The adrenaline works on you in a strange way, everything is heightened and I can still remember things that happened in that hour in minute detail. Afterwards my sleep was disrupted for days and like you I went over and over it in my mind afterwards, thinking about what could have happened. And that was only an hour!

In the Peter Hyatt video he says that a parent’s emotional response to losing a child is so intense that if those hormones aren’t brought down quickly, the parent will potentially suffer from PTSD for years afterwards even if the child is found safe and sound. That made so much sense to me and helped to explain the very sad suicide of a friend of mine who had almost lost her son in an accident: he fully recovered and her death never made sense to me until I heard that.

Maybe they didn’t? Why would they be reluctant to hand it over if they have it on record ? the Maddie investigation was flawed from the start , how reliable are the police in that small town 🤷🏼‍♀️
In what way do you think the investigation was flawed from the beginning? I’m genuinely interested in this subject.

Ok…here goes.
My ex was a controlling man. At the time we were a very happy family, Enid Blyton type. But only because I did everything to make life easy, kids well behaved, smart, clean, no arguments. I was on a permanent diet, hair always just right, dressed smartly. Great cook but we only ate what he liked.
Life was bliss…as long as we did what he wanted.
I won’t bore you details but at that time, if he had insisted we went for a meal and left the children alone then I would have done it.
Anything to maintain the happy family. I really believed I was doing the best for my children.
When I look at Kate, I see me and him.

When I did stand up to him…I got promoted at work, was earning the same so queried why I could not make family decisions then he punished me by having an affair. It wasn’t the first, he did it to show I was not indispensable. But it gave me the courage to break free. My big mistake was not being open with my children and telling them how I had been bullied.

Kate is carrying guilt and still has two children to support and protect. She is hiding something.
When I look at her, I think….that could have been me, doing something I did not want to do just to keep everyone happy.
Fascinating post, thank you. I’m glad you are out of that situation.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Because in the specific case of Brueckner, despite considerable police investigation and being charged for offences against other children he has not been charged with Madeleine’s abduction or killing or anything else. This leads me to conclude that there is insubstantial evidence linking him to this crime.
maybe we should be Questioning the significance of Gerry and Kate's visit to Clement Freud's villa and how they enjoyed the delicious strawberry daquaries he prepared! ......... I always have found it strange what the significance of their visit it to him was for, especially as we didn't here any mention of him and him aiding them until after Kate McCann released her book!

Reactions: 7
I often wonder do Kate and Gerry’s other two children (the twins) ever feel anger or resentment or fear towards their mum and dad? For their careless actions and for what then happened Madeline and what could have potentially happened to them too 🤔
ive seen Kate interact with her daughter at Luton airport - pretty sure they were going to Portugal, my understanding is that they go back and forth frequently to keep the case alive and ongoing. This was a couple of years ago.

they seemed pretty warm with each other, she’s a teen now. They were shopping together like any regular mother/daughter - for what it’s worth

Reactions: 4
ive seen Kate interact with her daughter at Luton airport - pretty sure they were going to Portugal, my understanding is that they go back and forth frequently to keep the case alive and ongoing. This was a couple of years ago.

they seemed pretty warm with each other, she’s a teen now. They were shopping together like any regular mother/daughter - for what it’s worth
The daughter must be stunning. She was such an extremely gorgeous baby and toddler.

The daughter must be stunning. She was such an extremely gorgeous baby and toddler.
I didn’t want to stare at them for obvious reasons, but she was a young teen when I saw her and more sweet looking than stunning. She has gorgeous blonde hair and just came across as a nice, sweet tweeny out shopping with her mum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
What an odd/creepy thing to say about a child.
🤢
Is it? Sorry, didn’t intend to be creepy at all! I’m not a native speaker. She was a beautiful baby. Hope that’s less creepy.
I‘m generally not a big fan of commenting on babys‘ or children‘s looks myself.
But in this case, both the twins look on the pictures we know of them quite special and remarkable. Therefore I wanted to point this out, knowing they (and their parents) hopefully won’t read.
What we make of this impression I‘m not sure. 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Nope sorry making comments about how “gorgeous” a baby/toddler or child is, is bleeping creepy.
The person explained that they didn’t mean it in a creepy way, sounds like it was more of an observation than anything! I was shopping earlier and a stranger looked into my babies seat and smiled and said “he’s beautiful” that’s not creepy in my eyes 🤷🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 18
Nope sorry making comments about how “gorgeous” a baby/toddler or child is, is bleeping creepy.
I call babies and toddlers gorgeous all the time. I also called pets gorgeous. Why is that creepy? It’s the same as calling someone/something beautiful. There’s nothing inappropriate or creep with that?

Reactions: 21
Or what about the time they randomly stated that the Portuguese police did not want a murder in their country and that’s the reason they jeopardised the case!
1. Why was murder on their mind when they stuck to the storyline she was stolen from her bed. 2. What proof is there that the police jeopardised the case, they solved it and yet the U.K. public turned on them when none of the evidence was shown in the U.K. media.

the police offered Kate a secret deal to confess to what happened and she’d be given protection. For them to suggest that there must have been further evidence that lead them to believe Kate was scared of gerry or someone else involved and was the weak link to get through to. She didn’t confess anything but used it against them for the U.K. media. The police offer was harassed and his dog was killed in his own garden. Whatever involvement the mccanns had, they had people at the click of a finger to do their dirty work for them. They sued anyone and everyone for daring to believe the evidence. They don’t deserve the oxygen they breathe.

To add - the murder comment was later changed to abduction when printed in the media, but it was during an interview that I and many others heard first hand

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.