How did the covid-19 lockdown effect your weight. General thread.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m thinking of doing 30 day shred but I am a complete novice, have no clue about exercise what so ever and really feel the pain and muscle aches after trying any so struggle to go back. Any advice.

Reactions: 2
Weight loss is not happening for me at the moment, I’ve definitely comfort ate my way through the weeks so far so hats off to you ladies who are motivated and sticking to exercise etc! Really want to get my mind back in the game though so won’t give up x

Reactions: 6
Weight loss is not happening for me at the moment, I’ve definitely comfort ate my way through the weeks so far so hats off to you ladies who are motivated and sticking to exercise etc! Really want to get my mind back in the game though so won’t give up x
I've done the same. Massively comfort eating through bags of sweets and chocolate and whatever i can lay my hands on

I’m thinking of doing 30 day shred but I am a complete novice, have no clue about exercise what so ever and really feel the pain and muscle aches after trying any so struggle to go back. Any advice.
I did the shred a while back and I ached after the first one. I think it's quite intense?! Can you try something else maybe? Walking? I've started walking today after some advice on here. Xx

Reactions: 2
Don't stress yourself with exercising if it's not something you enjoyed before lockdown. I echo what a few others here have said and increase your daily steps and be in a calorie deficit. You can use an online TDEE calculator to work out how many calories you should be eating to be in a deficit.

Don't overcomplicate it - life is stessful enough at the moment :) I've lost 70lbs (5 stone) in the last year and all I did was what I mentioned above - no fad diets, no extreme work out regime and no demonising foods or food groups!

Just be consistent and if you duck up along the way make sure you get back on it!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Don't stress yourself with exercising if it's not something you enjoyed before lockdown. I echo what a few others here have said and increase your daily steps and be in a calorie deficit. You can use an online TDEE calculator to work out how many calories you should be eating to be in a deficit.

Don't overcomplicate it - life is stessful enough at the moment :) I've lost 70lbs (5 stone) in the last year and all I did was what I mentioned above - no fad diets, no extreme work out regime and no demonising foods or food groups!

Just be consistent and if you duck up along the way make sure you get back on it!
thats amazing well done!!

Reactions: 4
Tracked on myfitnesspal today and got out for my walk... safe to say I've a good half stone on during lockdown, tried on a pair of Jean's yesterday = holy duck! Porridge with water this morning, eugh but has to be done because I feel tit eating shite

Reactions: 5
Definitely walking between 30-60 minutes daily. You don't need a gadget, just walk briskly so you're puffing and panting a bit! Try and get some uphills or steps in to really get your body working. Cook from scratch whenever you can, try not to snack, I'd lose more if I didn't. I've lost 7lbs in 4 weeks by eating porridge, then a 2 slice sandwich and a couple of biscuits for lunch, a home made dinner and some chocolate and crisps in the evening! I walk a minimum of 30 mins daily and try to do something active for an hour such as cleaning or gardening. I'm sat on my arse for about 22 hours a day as it is 😬😬

Reactions: 5
So glad this thread was made! We're all going through such a hard time, that the easiest thing to do is stress eat. Also, wearing stretchy comfies gives the illusion that hey ho, it still fits, so surely I didn't put on that much weight! 😅
I jumped on the dreaded scales and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but enough to make me want to make immediate changes as I was feeling crap about myself. Early March, before all this madness, I picked my dream wedding dress for my wedding in August. I'm so stressed these days, not having a clue if it'll be a tiny wedding, or with half of the guests we initially thought of inviting, or if we'll be able to get married at all! But at the end of the day, regardless of it happening or not, I still want to feel good in my skin and I'll fit in that dress end of August, even if just to wear it at home! 🤣🤣
So 3 weeks ago I made small changes, drink as much water as I can in a day, I swear this keeps me so full, including first thing in the am, no sweets at all, only fruit or jello, pasta is my drug, so I'm staying away from it. No white flour, only wholegrains. I make this bomb mug cake, which really satisfies my sweet tooth. Also, I stopped snacking between meals and try to have dinner as early as possible. Thanks to these changes, I've lost 3 pounds, which isn't that much, but definitely a start! I really can't think of working out atm, so just focusing on my diet.
We can do it, ladies! 💪

Reactions: 6
I may be late to the game but listening to an audiobook really is helping me walk longer! And my library has an app with loads you can borrow so it costs nothing. Looking forward to getting back out today again!

I’ve lost just under 2 stone, I would love to say it’s been a diet but it’s been worry and anxiety. It’s been strange as I normally go the other way and I binge eat and that’s why I found myself getting up to 19 stone but hubby was due to start a new job before lockdown which fell through because of it and I had started a new job which was now been put on hold. We have savings in the bank and a army pension for income but the worry about the future was tormenting me and I then found out my mum passed away on the 12 the March and I could not go to the funeral due to showing symptoms in my household. There as also been other bombshells dropped on me too over lockdown which as caused me to crumble,

However hubby as had a couple of Skype interviews which are looking promising and I’ve been told due to the new changes with the government I now qualify for furlough so now both our income combined covers both the bills and food so we don’t have to touch our savings which is a massive relief. My appetite is coming back now but Im making sure as I move forward to eat healthy and mindfully and I’m walking a hour a day whilst in lockdown which is helping and I will lose the rest slowly. However I’ve thrown all my slimming World stuff out and thrown my scales as Ill never waste another minute dieting again and tormenting myself with the scales. This situation we have found ourselves in as shown me life’s too short to worry about things that don’t matter like healthy extras and bloody syns x

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Morning everyone ! I only started watching this thread yesterday but you all inspired me. I've an office based job and have been working from home the last 4 weeks, and like most people have gained half a stone. But this morning I got up and went for a walk, before 8am & only half an hour but I'm buzzing ! Thanks you lot, I'm going to try and get out every morning early. This week it's ok as I'm "off work" on annual leave but I'll maybe get up extra early when I'm back working next week 😊

Reactions: 9
Agree with everyone else with walking, it makes a massive difference! I always gain weight in the school holidays as I’m not doing the school run 😅 I do YouTube workouts everyday too, have a look at Sydney Cummings on there. She uploads a new one everyday 10am (uk time) and it varies in length and styles. She’s fantastic 😊

Reactions: 3

This! Calorie deficit is the only way i have ever lost weight and even if you lose on slimming world (or whatever) it essentially comes down to the fact you were in a calorie deficit.

Calorie deficit and daily walks helped me lose four and a half stone over a 18 month period, I lost it slowly and steadily instead of crash dieting and it helped me understand my relationship with food as I was a binge eater when under stress or feeling down.
I’ve naturally put some weight on from being on lockdown and going through furlough but I have started couch 2 5K and it’s really helping my mind and hopefully I will lose the extra weight I’ve gained.
For years I did SW, shakes, even weight loss pills and in the end, the only thing that actually worked for me long term and didn’t make me scared of certain food groups and restrict binge was the calorie counting and eat better move more approach.

Reactions: 9
For me it was all about tracking what you eat. Means you can still have your treats but you just need to compensate for it elsewhere. Makes you be more mindful and connects back up that what you put in your gob does actually have an affect on your body fat. We all like to forget that connection when we are snacking/shoving the whole packet of biscuits away on the sofa.

Also steps are KEY! I got a fitbit and the difference in what I burnt in a day when I consistently hit my steps every day compared to just being at home was enormous. It isn't about beasting yourself in the gym 3 times a week.

Glad I found this thread! Like everyone I’ve been snacking massively during lockdown out of boredom, as it’s usually my routine and work that keeps me from eating bad stuff

I weighed myself this morning and it wasn’t as bad as I thought (I have been exercising) but I’m making a conscious effort now to try and lose a bit of weight (7-10 pounds).

what I’m gonna try is:

intermittent fasting - only eating within 8hour time frame and then fasting for the rest of the time (I find it really easy to skip breakfast).
daily walks - I have a Fitbit so I’m aiming for 10k steps everyday at least
Continue couch to 5k (I’m on week 3)
Online classes (I do a barre workout which I love)
Cut down on carbs
Healthier snacks - fruit instead of biscuits
More veg

really want to stick to it as I’ve been feeling really sluggish and just want to feel leaner and healthier!
Good luck everyone

Does anyone have any favourite foods they use to help cut back?
I’m obsessed with Hartleys sugar free jelly. I make an entire sachet and eat the whole thing in a bowl 😂 it’s literally like 35 calories for the whole thing and it feels like a nice big treat.

I like foods you can eat in volume 😂

Does anyone have any favourite foods they use to help cut back?
I’m obsessed with Hartleys sugar free jelly. I make an entire sachet and eat the whole thing in a bowl 😂 it’s literally like 35 calories for the whole thing and it feels like a nice big treat.

I like foods you can eat in volume 😂
Eggs, chicken, tuna, salmon are always my go to for low carb/high protein!
Love those jelly’s too 😍

I tried every diet over the years and have always been a yo-yo dieter. I’ve kept it off for 2 yrs now and can honestly say that the book (and accompanying CD) ‘I can make you thin’ by Paul McKenna changed my whole approach and attitude to food. I know it sounds corny, and I scoffed at it too at first. A friend recommended it to me and I only bought the book bcos I figured well at £9.99 that was only a week or two of Slimming World membership (so I could put off going back for 2 weeks) and what harm could it do? I chuckled with my husband that I was reading such utter rubbish. But do you know what, I read the book, followed the techniques, listen to the CD, and the weight fell off and I was eating food I loved!

I know I sound like an ambassador or influencer but I’m not; it just changed my attitude so profoundly and I would never go back to any diet now.

His ethos is essentially that every diet out there is a fast-track to long-term failure, and it makes you address WHY you over eat. For example, one of the exercises in the book encourages you to put a post-it note on your snack-drawer/fridge/food cupboards saying “What do you REALLY want?”. Of course the humorous part of me would answer “A bleeping biscuit!”, but the exercises I the book help you to delve deeper and I can honestly say that taking 30 seconds to consider that question brought me to tears in the first week. Because you know what sometimes I was lonely and needed a hug, sometimes stressed and wanted to hit something, often just bored, but SO often I was just filling that void with food. I guess it’s different for everyone but his book helped me to address the root causes more than any other system in my 40 yrs on this earth!

Reactions: 8