Losing a pet.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This year I have lost two cats. The first died very suddenly and unexpectedly, I was sad but ok.

I then adopted a one year old cat who was just everything I needed. He was the most gentle, loving boy with a real personality. He slept pressed up against me every night.

A few days ago a man knocks on our door in tears to say he's run our cat over. My partner went out and he seemed to have died instantly, I know it was bad as partner wouldn't let me get close but I could see blood on the road.

I'm so far from ok. How does it get better?

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I’m so sorry for your losses, we’ve always had cats and it’s so hard when they pass away as they truly are members of the family.
I can’t even imagine how awful it is to lose one from a road traffic incident, I really feel for you having to experience this with your lovely boy.
I’m sure you know that time will be a healer for you, but in the meantime you’re doing the right thing by talking about it. Big hugs to you, thank goodness he isn’t in pain and he was lucky to be so loved ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Very sorry for your losses. It will be raw for you right now so please take care of yourself and allow yourself time to process what’s happened. As for the grieving process, I think this quote sums it up…

1671612500402.jpeg

PDSA have a pet bereavement line that I found helpful, they’ve all lost pets so it can be helpful to call them to go through how you’re feeling with someone who understands. Thankfully a lot more people are understanding of pet loss these days.

Cats Protection also have a phone line, you can find their numbers and information on grief here https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-an...t/all-pets/how-to-cope-with-the-loss-of-a-pet

• Heart
Reactions: 1
This year I have lost two cats. The first died very suddenly and unexpectedly, I was sad but ok.

I then adopted a one year old cat who was just everything I needed. He was the most gentle, loving boy with a real personality. He slept pressed up against me every night.

A few days ago a man knocks on our door in tears to say he's run our cat over. My partner went out and he seemed to have died instantly, I know it was bad as partner wouldn't let me get close but I could see blood on the road.

I'm so far from ok. How does it get better?
I'm so sorry and don't really have anything to say that will cheer you up.

We all grieve differently but I hope you feel better soon. I do find that adopting another pet cheers you up although you will still feel sad.

Talk to your local rescue so they can match you with a cat that might be better suited, like an older cat that doesn't really want to wonder far from the house. Even better if they are a home body

I am so sorry to hear this, the loss of a much loved pet is really hard.

We lost our beautiful spaniel in January last year and honestly I still struggle, the sense of loss is like no other that I have experienced which sounds crazy as I have lost grandparents and cousins. But my home felt so empty for such a long time after we lost him and my heart aches when I think of him.

For me I have had to keep myself busy and focused on future plans and hobbies and things.

Time is a great healer and maybe at some point you will feel ready to welcome a new fur member to your family (I am not there yet).

Sorry I don't suppose anything I have said makes you feel any better but I an thinking of you and hope you are OK.

Time is a healer. Lost 4 dogs and one cat. 2 of my dogs had to be pts this year. One I had no idea had a a massive inoperable tumor. When I saw the images I knew I had to let her go. The other had been diagnosed last December but rallied on steroids then took a sudden turn as toxins reached her brain stem so I had to let her go. Cried more than ever over that for months. My first time without a dog now and I now think I won't have more. I've looked after my sisters and a friends dogs but I don't want to deal with that pain again. I feel a lot better now but it's taken near all year.