Looking for Alaska

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just started watching this on BBC Iplayer it’s a bbc 3 one, really good if you’re into sort of teen dramas with a twist. I watched first few episodes I’m interested to see where it goes as I think they’re leading upto something big. Anyone else seen it?

I read the book but didn’t enjoy it as much as others by the same author...I will have to add this to my list,see if the series is more enjoyable than the book.

I’m currently on episode 6! I absolutely hated the book (found it so boring and pretentious), but I’ll admit, the series is not bad. I mean, it’s not great, but it’s not bad either. I wonder if I would have liked it more if I hadn’t read the book

I’m currently on episode 6! I absolutely hated the book (found it so boring and pretentious), but I’ll admit, the series is not bad. I mean, it’s not great, but it’s not bad either. I wonder if I would have liked it more if I hadn’t read the book
That’s interesting, because I watched a couple of episodes having not read the book and I found it almost unbearably pretentious. I’m all for suspending disbelief for the sake of a good story but the way the characters speak is ludicrous. It’s so contrived to be quirky and intelligent it made me wince. In the first episode when the character showed he knew who Ibsen (I think it was Ibsen...?) was by practically reciting his Wikipedia page, it was so stupid. His dates of birth and death, place of birth etc - nobody talks like that about a writer. Least of all a teenager. I get that they are supposed to be eccentric, but knowing Ibsen’s dates didn’t make him seem intelligent or knowledgeable about literature but it was desperately trying to. And that’s just one example.

Reactions: 1
I love the book but didn't make it through the first episode.... very slow

That’s interesting, because I watched a couple of episodes having not read the book and I found it almost unbearably pretentious. I’m all for suspending disbelief for the sake of a good story but the way the characters speak is ludicrous. It’s so contrived to be quirky and intelligent it made me wince. In the first episode when the character showed he knew who Ibsen (I think it was Ibsen...?) was by practically reciting his Wikipedia page, it was so stupid. His dates of birth and death, place of birth etc - nobody talks like that about a writer. Least of all a teenager. I get that they are supposed to be eccentric, but knowing Ibsen’s dates didn’t make him seem intelligent or knowledgeable about literature but it was desperately trying to. And that’s just one example.
Oh I completely agree, it is still very pretentious, I just don’t think it’s as bad as the book. That’s why I said it’s not great, but it’s not bad either. I’ve certainly seen worse tv shows