Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

barrowsarah

Does it really matter whether they say mom, mum or mam? I would have thought the more noteworthy issue is that they are writing a book ...

• Haha
Reactions: 25

Juls

I have to admit Lizzie is really challenging my general aim in life of not being a judgy bitch 😆

I can’t help being annoyed at the endless moaning, the “crazy busy days” consisting of popping to the shops to buy flowers and collecting some packages, the constant hair fiddling and face touching, the glorification of disordered eating, the pseudo-intellectualism and the odd obsession with Uncle Luigi. And I used to really like her! Back in Manchester she was full of life, creative with her clothes and she didn’t take herself too seriously. Loved the Testing Basics series. What happened?! I mean, I know it’s probably insecurity and the isolation in London and the vacuousness of the influencer existence. It’s sad to watch her struggle to fit into this lifestyle that doesn’t seem to make her happy.

Also, there’s something that I fundamentally don’t understand, and that is why all those high-end brands keep gifting her things. She doesn’t have millions of followers and her engagement is pretty much nonexistent across all her channels. Most of her instagram pictures have very few comments and she hardly replies to comments anywhere. How many of her followers are actually buying items just because they’ve seen them on Lizzie? How do those brands make money off her? Can someone explain?

• Heart
Reactions: 20

poopettemetis

VIP Member
Actually if you look up an app called “Good on you” which rates brands depending on their performance, H&M has a better rating than Asos, Topshop or Zara! It also has the same rating as Arket and &Other Stories - not surprising seeing as they are one company.
the best rated high street brands in that app are Uniqlo and Marks&Spencer whichwas really interesting. I don’t see any influencers doing ads for M&S, nor have I heard before that they are quite a good brand in regards to the environment, considering how big they are.
I work in fashion sustainability and the Good on You app gives a skewed narrative - they rank brands with more publicly available information higher than brands that don’t. Just because you’re transparent (i.e., list your factories on your website, publish your supplier manual and other policies, etc.) doesn’t mean you’re sustainable. At the end of the day, H&M is fast fashion and fast fashion runs in complete opposition to real responsible fashion. Their entire business model is, at it’s core, unsustainable. You can’t pay anyone a fair wage with a £10 t-shirt. It’s impossible. M&S does a lot behind the scenes, and doesn’t really talk publicly about the work they’re doing (I know someone who works in the sustainability team there), and it’s the same with the brand I work for. We put more effort into making real changes behind the scenes than talking publicly about them at the risk of being seen as greenwashing or ethicswashing. H&M announcing all of their initiatives and conscious collections is a distraction to the fact that their business model is ruining the planet and livelihoods of people around the world.

I think it’s important to make clear, and an earlier poster mentioned it too, that not every one can afford truly responsible fashion. It IS more expensive, a lot of brands don’t do extended sizing (that’s a whole other convo), limited availability of options in your corners of the world. However, people that can afford to pay more, should be - just like taxes - buying less of things that really aren’t needed and repairing what they already have. Some people may only be able to afford fast fashion and that’s okay as long as its worn/repaired and not thrown in landfill. But fast fashion is very much bolstered by higher income earners who have the financial freedom to spend money and likely don’t assign any value to their garments because they can just throw it away and buy more without thinking twice.

/rant over. I’m very passionate about debunking sustainable fashion myths. Would highly recommend following Aja Barber on IG and Patreon. She does really great work.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

dreamybutterfly

VIP Member
has anyone listened to their podcast? :p
I had it on in the background while I was working, I kept having to stop myself from zoning out.

Lindsey talks about how she really struggled in lockdown and how she wanted to break up /kill her boyfriend because he was totally fine and was actually thriving, working from home and being at home.
Lizzy talks about how she struggled being at her mum's because her mum changes her sheets once a week and she doesn't and she didn't want to change her sheets once a week. (Yes, seriously) I think she said they argued a lot.
Lindsey feels robbed of the year because she is 33 and had plans to start a family and get engaged. If she sees another person get engaged on Instagram she won't know what she will do and will probably cry. Lindsey admits to feeling jealous or envious of others progressing with their lives because she doesn't have much going on (ie marriage, kids etc)
They were averaging 9 hours of screen time during lockdown.

At one point, you can hear a loud meow and Lizzy is like oh that's just a child outside and Lindsey is like are you sure that's not Belinda? And Lizzy says oh yes Belinda has come in. How is this cat getting in to Lizzy's house?? It's cold outside so I can't imagine Lizzy is leaving her back door open.

If hearing a 'woe is me' talk from very priviledged women annoys you, I would highly suggest you do not listen to the podcast.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Lizzy talking about being worried she’d lose weight if she comes off the pill in that episode, “it could make me lose weight, and I’m so slim even though I eat so much” 🙄 oh give us a break Elizabeth.

I would love to hear her explain why she’s pushing this “I’m naturally super skinny” narrative when so many people know it’s not true? It’s so jarring hearing this on a podcast about body image. I just don’t understand how you can claim to eat sooooo much and still be tiny when you had very much a normal curvier physique before, and your weight loss has been a dramatic and recent thing. Is it possible for someone’s metabolism to change like that in their mid to late twenties? Doubtful. She’s under no requirement to address her weight loss imo, no one has to disclose something like that, yet she does and blatantly lies?

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Artaud

Lizzy has completely regressed in her filming ability, this is the same Lizzy who owned filming lights for her main videos and a Gorillapod for her blogging camera when she lived in Manchester.
I get the impression she’s a bit embarrassed of Youtube I don’t think it goes with her new east-London-cool-girl persona she’s trying to pull off, she seemed to stop vlogging outside her house (even pre-Covid) when she moved east. And I can’t imagine the people she’s trying to be befriend look on Youtube too fondly either. She probably doesn’t have the integrity to stop Youtube altogether because she needs the money from the ads that won’t fit well on her IG.

The book subscription box is just an ego-stroke. There is minimal designing, effort and thought that has gone into it. I can’t imagine there being many people who are willing to pay £35 more than the cost of the actual book for the box.

Reactions: 17

Freebies_come2me

VIP Member
HA that watch, people who can afford Tag Hauer aren't influenced by influencer, full stop. How many of her followers will rush out to buy a TH, unless their name is Hannah Ivy haha. The people who will potentially buy it are Anna and the like, she is the influencer to the influencers.

I swear, some of these marketers are idiots.

Reactions: 16
I scrolled far back on her instagram to make sure it wasn’t just a brief thing, I remember her having a much more “average” body shape before moving to London and as she initially lost weight she claimed it was due to stress and only temporary. People on social media seem to believe this very skinny physique is her natural body when it’s not at all. It would be mad to say I know what her true/natural body shape is but anyone can see she looked like this for years and years.
B1A63B75-9482-4D9C-93EE-2DBB8315C2A0.jpeg
778034DF-CCAD-42E2-8693-22968EE55C1A.jpeg

Themoved to London and..

4B5A0849-C799-4673-8C0A-79808806705E.jpeg

A7F46B2D-134B-41F5-85F9-CDE81E36BAB5.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sad

meowmeowbeans

VIP Member
Lizzy's (and other influencers) IG story today about her "drawing class" sponsored by Vince is so ridiculous. Who is this even targeted towards?? I'm particularly annoyed because I've been going through a really hard time at work lately due to layoffs, suddenly having a lot more on my plate, and needing to consider a job change in the middle of a pandemic...and here's Lizzy, who hasn't worked a real job in her life, getting paid to doodle with crayons. Honestly, the hardest thing she has to deal with right now is returning shoes or choosing which wine to pretend to like. I'm so sick of influencers and their privilege.

Lucy_B

I had never heard of Marie or Christie, but I just checked out their Instagram and that’s literally everything I do not enjoy. I like Instagram to be instant, spontaneous and fun pictures. Not moody pseudo artistic photos of body parts. Will not be following them.

• Haha