Liverpool Women's Hospital Explosion

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just heard it's been declared a terrorist act. Wondering whether the fact that they took the explosive device to the Women's Hospital suggests it might be another anti-female terrorist attack - thoughts?

Reactions: 2
It’s awful what’s happened. I’m from Liverpool and almost everyone I know is sharing about the taxi driver. He was very brave for what he done and I hope he recovers quickly! I feel awful for his family and the women who were in the hospital, go there. It’s a place where you’re supposed to feel safe, excited to go, meet your new baby. It’s awful!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It’s awful what’s happened. I’m from Liverpool and almost everyone I know is sharing about the taxi driver. He was very brave for what he done and I hope he recovers quickly! I feel awful for his family and the women who were in the hospital, go there. It’s a place where you’re supposed to feel safe, excited to go, meet your new baby. It’s awful!
A complete hero - his quick thinking may have saved lives. It's so great to hear he's already been discharged from hospital.

Reactions: 6
When you watch the video of the explosion, the bomb goes off whilst the driver is still in the car and he gets out afterward.
It seems like the part where the press said he locked the bomber in the car and got out before detonation was just spin. Completely unnecessary IMO.
I’m not taking anything away from the driver before you all jump on me, it’s more of a gripe with the Press who sensationalise unnecessarily.

Reactions: 5
When you watch the video of the explosion, the bomb goes off whilst the driver is still in the car and he gets out afterward.
It seems like the part where the press said he locked the bomber in the car and got out before detonation was just spin. Completely unnecessary IMO.
I’m not taking anything away from the driver before you all jump on me, it’s more of a gripe with the Press who sensationalise unnecessarily.
Oh, fair enough. The BBC do seem to have stopped mentioning the lock thing in their coverage.

What did he do? Looking at the CCTV the bomber detonated himself, either deliberately or accidentally, right as the car was one second off coming to a normal stop immediately outside the hospital door. And then the driver is seen to stagger out a few seconds later, having been very lucky that either the bomb just didn't go off properly, or his taxi had a covid perspex screen divider that helped shield him a little.

I'm very pleased for the taxi driver, and hope he gets a new car and all the treatment he needs, but the CCTV would appear to show him just being very lucky rather than doing anything particularly heroic.

edit: like @fizzyjerk above I'm not meaning to take away from the driver, but it's rather a comment on his taxi driving colleagues exaggerating somewhat and then the local and national media running with the exaggerations rather than checking facts of what happened.

The bomber originally wanted to go to the Remembrance Day service at Liverpool Cathedral, but the traffic was too bad so asked for the Women's Hospital instead.

I think the taxi driver was so bloody lucky, and everyone is very lucky that the bomber didnt manage to get inside.

• Wow
I initially thoguht it must be some kind of incel thing but apparently (from someone in another thread) the bomber was aiming for a memorial event and the taxi driver realised something was wrong. No idea why/how. So terrifying how terrorist events are starting again here

What did he do? Looking at the CCTV the bomber detonated himself, either deliberately or accidentally, right as the car was one second off coming to a normal stop immediately outside the hospital door. And then the driver is seen to stagger out a few seconds later, having been very lucky that either the bomb just didn't go off properly, or his taxi had a covid perspex screen divider that helped shield him a little.

I'm very pleased for the taxi driver, and hope he gets a new car and all the treatment he needs, but the CCTV would appear to show him just being very lucky rather than doing anything particularly heroic.

that may be the case, still think he’s brave though 🤷‍♀️

This is so terrifying and disturbing. The first impression was they got stuck in traffic on the way to a Remembrance Day parade, but actually the Liverpool Women’s Hospital was the target. Makes me feel sick to the stomach.
Regardless of whether it was an act of bravery or he
The bomber originally wanted to go to the Remembrance Day service at Liverpool Cathedral, but the traffic was too bad so asked for the Women's Hospital instead.

I think the taxi driver was so bloody lucky, and everyone is very lucky that the bomber didnt manage to get inside.
This was originally the thought, but it’s been declared the target was the hospital.

This is so terrifying and disturbing. The first impression was they got stuck in traffic on the way to a Remembrance Day parade, but actually the Liverpool Women’s Hospital was the target. Makes me feel sick to the stomach.
Regardless of whether it was an act of bravery or he was lucky, he still is brave. He was going about his daily job and this happens. He’s very lucky, it could of been worse and is likely to be extremely traumatised for the rest of his life. Do we need to debate whether it was luck or intentional?

This was originally the thought, but it’s been declared the target was the hospital.

• Wow
I really hope it wasn't another incel attack. It's freaking me out how extreme some of these online groups are becoming.

Regardless of whether it was an act of bravery or he

Obviously I am not at all happy this has happened, but I am glad that it is being viewed as a terrorist attack, as it should be

OMG that poor driver 😢 I'm so glad he wasn't seriously injured

I really hope it wasn't another incel attack. It's freaking me out how extreme some of these online groups are becoming.
I think with him allegedly wanting to go to the Remembrance Service it's nothing to do with the Incel lot.
The roads around the cathedral were closed and the Women's was on the diversion route.

• Sad

edit: like @fizzyjerk above I'm not meaning to take away from the driver, but it's rather a comment on his taxi driving colleagues exaggerating somewhat and then the local and national media running with the exaggerations rather than checking facts of what happened.
Local reports suggest he locked the doors when he noticed the bomber was acting strange with a light or something. Whether that's true or not it doesn't take away from the fact he managed to collect his wits enough to get out and shout at others to get back. It appears that it was just the detonator exploded and not the actual bomb, it could have been so much worse. What evil deliberately targets either a remembrance parade full of the elderly and kids, or a maternity hospital? It is really scary, and a bit too close to home for me.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

To me it looks like he detonated the smaller bomb he had whilst in the car and maybe he wanted to get out to go into the hospital with the larger explosive device which apparently he had and the taxi driver locked him in and he managed to get out. Either way he is a bloody hero, and thank god for the busy traffic. It doesnt even bear thinking about what the worse case scenario would be

• Heart
Reactions: 8
as if the last 18 months+ haven't been bad enough, now we are going to have to start worrying about terrorism again :mad: as people have said thank god it wasn;t as bad as it could have been

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have always felt quite safe in Liverpool, it is such a diverse city, but yesterday's events have been a rude awakening, as a pp said we have had such much stress and worry this last 18 months and now this.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
as if the last 18 months+ haven't been bad enough, now we are going to have to start worrying about terrorism again :mad: as people have said thank god it wasn;t as bad as it could have been
I worked with counter terrorism in my last job role, and there were real concerns over the isolation of people and this inciting acts of violence following lockdowns.

the most important thing is nobody was seriously harmed, although those there will live with this forever.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I worked with counter terrorism in my last job role, and there were real concerns over the isolation of people and this inciting acts of violence following lockdowns.

the most important thing is nobody was seriously harmed, although those there will live with this forever.
Very scary, I don't know how other people feel but I have never really liked crowds (partly due to worries about terrorism) and having not been in crowds for over a year, going into central london on a packed train over the weekend I felt really overwhelmed, it was awful

• Sad
Very scary, I don't know how other people feel but I have never really liked crowds (partly due to worries about terrorism) and having not been in crowds for over a year, going into central london on a packed train over the weekend I felt really overwhelmed, it was awful
All I can’t say to reassure you is there is so much that goes on to protect people that you wouldn’t even know is done! I actually found it really reassuring to know what’s in place and the work behind the scenes.

• Heart
Reactions: 7