Little Women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Saw it last and loved it!

First thing with Emma Watson where she wasn’t wooden 😂

Reactions: 4
It’s perfection. So much to love about it, but I particularly loved how Amy was properly carved out as an identifiable character in her own right, not just an opposite to Jo. And played perfectly by Florence Pugh.

Agree about Emma Watson. Emma Stone was apparently initially cast as Meg but had to drop out due to a conflict with The Favourite.

• Heart
Saorise Ronan and Florence Pugh were the heart of that film. It was wonderfully cast and Tinny made a great Laurie but what those two did with their roles was something else and all awards are warrented. Greta Gerwig is a huge talent

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Saorise Ronan and Florence Pugh were the heart of that film. It was wonderfully cast and Tinny made a great Laurie but what those two did with their roles was something else and all awards are warrented. Greta Gerwig is a huge talent
completely agree thought Florence Pugh was amazing as Amy, I remember the previous version and I did not like Kirsten Dunst as Amy whatsoever, I love Laura Dern in anything and even as Marmee she was brill.

Reactions: 3
Loved it. Loved Florence Pugh and Saoirse Ronan and the way Greta Gerwig made sense of the Jo/ Laurie/ Amy storyline. Best adaptation I've seen.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
And as a woman, there’s no way for me to make my own money. Not enough to earn a living or to support my family, and if I had my own money, which I don’t, that money would belong to my husband the moment we got married. And if we had children, they would be his, not mine. They would be his property, so don’t sit there and tell me that marriage isn’t an economic proposition, because it is. It may not be for you, but it most certainly is for me.

Amy’s monologue was not in the original script - Meryl Streep convinced Greta to include something to convey to today’s audience the pressure Amy was under. Apparently Florence was handed the words on a scrap of paper shortly before filming the scene :love:

Great article on the justice Gerwig brought to Amy’s character: https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...ittle-women-finally-gives-amy-her-due/603886/

And as a woman, there’s no way for me to make my own money. Not enough to earn a living or to support my family, and if I had my own money, which I don’t, that money would belong to my husband the moment we got married. And if we had children, they would be his, not mine. They would be his property, so don’t sit there and tell me that marriage isn’t an economic proposition, because it is. It may not be for you, but it most certainly is for me.

Amy’s monologue was not in the original script - Meryl Streep convinced Greta to include something to convey to today’s audience the pressure Amy was under. Apparently Florence was handed the words on a scrap of paper shortly before filming the scene :love:

Great article on the justice Gerwig brought to Amy’s character: https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...ittle-women-finally-gives-amy-her-due/603886/
wow that makes it even more powerful, she delivered it so well, I would almost go see it again... still wasn't convinced on Emma Watson, mind you I had just watched the circle on Netflix and that was beyond woeful so that might not have helped :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
wow that makes it even more powerful, she delivered it so well, I would almost go see it again... still wasn't convinced on Emma Watson, mind you I had just watched the circle on Netflix and that was beyond woeful so that might not have helped :ROFLMAO:
Emma Watson is an awful actress 😬

• Heart
  • Haha
This is one of my favourite books, I was so excited when I saw the film was coming out. It didn't disappoint me as a film, it gave me the feels! BUT, Emma Watson is not Meg. Really poor casting IMO.

@jewelkitty did you 'watch' the circle? I use that term loosely.... I dunno what Tom Hanks was thinking... he must have been bored lol
I couldn’t get to the end of it, it was dire 😂

Can we also discuss hottie James Norton bring in it. He didn’t have the most exciting role but he’s still hot 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
I couldn’t get to the end of it, it was dire 😂

Can we also discuss hottie James Norton bring in it. He didn’t have the most exciting role but he’s still hot 😂
so bad, he is so handsome, wouldn't be my type usually ( I prefer women lol) but he is dashing

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I was so looking forward to that movie cause I love the book. And I was quite disappointed. The story is actually ok, they refreshed it a bit to be more in your face feminism but it wasn't too bad. Loved Saoirse as Jo. Her and Timothee Chalamet or however you spell storyline was emotional and grasping.
But. Then we come to the costumes. They so don't make sense, and it distracted me the whole time I was watching the movie. Obviously, Emma Watson refused to wear a corset because why would you wear a historically accurate garment for a movie set in the 19th century. As Micarah Tewers said in her yt video, where are the bonnets???? Plus the general laid-backness of how the women behaved seemed odd for the period.

Saw it last and loved it!

First thing with Emma Watson where she wasn’t wooden 😂
Sorry but I don't agree. She's a terrible actress and her American accent was nowhere near as good as Florence Pugh's.

Florence outshone her in every way.

Sorry but I don't agree. She's a terrible actress and her American accent was nowhere near as good as Florence Pugh's.

Florence outshone her in every way.
Oh I agree Florence outshone her (I have a total girl crush in Florence), but Emma didn’t stand out as awful 😂

I watched Little Women (2019) a few days ago, I don’t think it was bad... Saorise Ronan was excellent in it and so was Florence Pugh!

But I surely think the 1994 movie is much better!

In my opinion:

I don't rate Emma Watson or Florence Pugh as actresses , I think were wrong for their roles. Especially Florence playing a 12 year old.

It lacked some heart and warmth

Marmee and Amy acted too modern

Saoirse Ronan is always very good though

The 1994 version was a lot more emotional and heartwarming, and the sisters seemed to have a better bond than the 2019 version