Lithium and Weight Gain

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have depression and anxiety for which I have been prescribed an anti-depressant (Vortioxetine), an anti-anxiety (Propranolol) and when they were not helping, I was also prescribed Lithium. The problem I’m having is, I can’t lose weight. I have a lot to lose and I’ve managed to get myself in the zone, but it’s not shifting.

I think this would be slightly more bearable if I felt in a better place mentally but I don’t. I wake up every day not wanting to get up and wondering what the point in anything is. The Psychiatrist is reluctant to change my medication - partly because the change-over period is tough but also because I’ve tried various other tablets. So I’m stuck really.

Have any of you been on Lithium and would be willing to share your weight experiences. TIA ♥

Anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication aren't usually so bad for weight so you only really have the lithium to contend with. The majority of people do gain weight, I never took lithium but I did take another very similar medication and I found it was very important to keep a good routine.

You've said you're in the zone, exercise wise I'm guessing. How about your diet?
I had to be very strict whilst on medication and even looking at food would make me gain another 5lbs.
I ate only basic foods for a long while. Yogurt, salads, chicken & brown rice, very bland tbh but it did work after a while, I was also walking a LOT. I never did hardcore exercise, just a lot of walking.

Medication is a pain. Lithium is quite a tough drug though, and usually used for bipolar.
Make sure to keep a good balance of salt+water on lithium as that can affect the lithium levels in your body. So when it comes to diet don't just cut out a lot of salt all at once!

I don't have much else in terms of advice, mental health issues are very difficult but it does get better!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks so much for your reply. I was going to the gym but we went back into full lockdown so I haven’t been this year. It’s the eating better I’m doing, logging everything in My Fitness Pal and sticking within the set calories and I do feel better for it.

The Psychiatrist says to be patient and I’m really not a patient person 😂. 18 months is a long time to feel rubbish but I guess it’s strange times

• Heart
Thanks so much for your reply. I was going to the gym but we went back into full lockdown so I haven’t been this year. It’s the eating better I’m doing, logging everything in My Fitness Pal and sticking within the set calories and I do feel better for it.

The Psychiatrist says to be patient and I’m really not a patient person 😂. 18 months is a long time to feel rubbish but I guess it’s strange times
I totally understand that, if there's any little exercises you can do at home I recommend trying them out. I like to put on some music, do some cleaning and have a dance. Sounds cheesy but it's fun and as long as you feel out of breath afterwards it counts!

Well done on sticking within your set calories, it is tough so you're doing great! I'm not patient either, one salad and I'm wondering why I've not lost two stone. 😂 It definitely is strange times, and even those without mental health issues are struggling mentally it's a really hard time for all of us.

You will do it! Get better mentally and lose weight, it's not an easy or short journey but it's one that is worth it. The lows don't last forever, and I've found the longer I've dealt with very low moods the more used to I've become to dealing with it, getting it sorted early and just living the best I can until it passes. As with the highs, although they're undoubtedly more fun.

You got this! 🥰

• Heart
Aww im on Lithium on Bipolar, and i never ever ever thought about it being that could cause weight gain. Ive only been on it since December though.
However im also on escitalopram and mirtazapine for my BPD, and have been on that for a year, and the mirtazapine made me put on 2 stone in less than 8 weeks. It was horrible.

• Heart
I was on lithium whilst inpatient last year. They started it in 2019 and upped it in January 2020 and by November I had gained 100lbs. I’ve struggled with eating disorders most of my life so it was a huge trigger. It can really mess with your thyroid. Are you prescribed levothyroxine? It is meant to help thyroid function. If not then do get your thyroid checked.
I eventually refused to take lithium and switched to carbamazepine but I still have struggled to lose weight since all of this but when the covid situation dies down a little, I’m going to go to the doctors and discuss this and get a full MOT.
This week I have really focused on my food intake and from now I am going to start keeping a food and exercise diary to show the doctor to help explain the situation.
If lithium isn’t making you feel any better than do mention carbamazepine. I also take pregabolin for anxiety which has helped so much.
Do ask to get your thyroid function checked as levothyroxine can help that. I’ll come back and let you know if I find anything else that may help.

• Heart
Reactions: 2