Life in Lockdown: Parenting edition

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To those with kids - HOW are you all coping??

We've done every activity that I stocked up on. I went to B&M (eat your heart out, sarah ingham) and Home Bargains a few weeks ago and bought loads of craft, painting kits etc. My 3 year old has done them ALL.

We're going on daily walks and our downstairs neighbour has let us use his garden (!! yay!!) so they managed to have a run around outside all afternoon today but we don't have any outdoor activities as I didn't buy any. I don't think the government counts garden toys count as essential so I can't see that I'll be able to get any 😅

What kind of things are you up to? Could do with some inspiration.

Reactions: 1
I have an only child and I feel so bad for her. She’s 10 and she hasn’t complained once but I’m worried sick of how she feels being stuck at home. We get out for a daily walk but it’s hard, she’s not interested in crafts or games.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Also have a 10 year old and feel like the worst parent going because we don't a garden. Its really getting to me seeing other parents post how they're camping in the garden, playing, bbq and everything else. I feel awful for my child and like I've let them down and they deserve better as they will never have childhood memories of us playing In our garden.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I have an 11 year old who seems to be doing ok. He still speaks or video calls his friends daily and they play online games together. It varies from Fortnite, Roblox to Cluedo etc.

I wouldnt feel bad about not doing those things as I have a garden and we are not out there doing any of those things. My 11 year old hardly wants to play out there.

Im finding keeping my 3 year old entertained constantly difficult and feel sorry for him as he loved seeing his friends at nursery and talks about them daily.

Reactions: 3
I have a 4 year old who’s missing his school friends and family but is otherwise doing ok at the moment. I’m finding it hard trying to home school on top of work from home. But trying to take one day at a time before my anxiety takes over. Rollercoaster of emotions so far! Managed to get an Asda online slot for end of next week which was a massive relief as thought of taking my hyper son around the supermarket was very stressful as he doesn’t understand keeping your distance 🤦‍♀️

Also have a 10 year old and feel like the worst parent going because we don't a garden. Its really getting to me seeing other parents post how they're camping in the garden, playing, bbq and everything else. I feel awful for my child and like I've let them down and they deserve better as they will never have childhood memories of us playing In our garden.
Don’t look at their posts, we’ve not really used our garden at all.
We scrapped home school on day 2. The worksheets get done as and when, having fun and being distracted at home is more important imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have a 3 & 4 year old, they have played outside most of the time and spent a lot of time making things out of Lego.

We’ve done a bit of learning but only until they start to lose interest.

P.S wine is helping!

I feel horrendous because I'm really not coping 😕

My kids fight constantly (2.5yrs and a 7yr old who has behaviour issues), I keep losing my temper and as soon as I try to wfh all hell breaks loose. I feel like I'm losing it. Their dad is self employed and won't stop working and says he can only take them tonight until lunch on Sunday cos he needs time to do his own shopping and laundry. I have depression and feel like it wont be long before I totally fall apart.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
It is hard I have a teenager and 4 year old at home,the teenager is being a mardy cow she never goes out normally but is now moaning that shes stuck in the house and how unfair it is she cant see friends🙄,shes supposed to be home schooled anyway but isnt doing naff all except moan.i keep sending her posts on how serious it all is and that people are dying she doesnt get it and her attitude stinks!
my 4 year old doesn't understand why she cant go school or see friends I've kept busy as I can drawing with her and making the most of the daily walks collecting leaves and stones and sticks making pictures the TV has been a help at times.
All I see is people "homeschooling" and I'm over here winging it dont put to much pressure on yourself.
This morning we are not even dressed and just watching TV my hairs a mess and I'm slobbing around but my kids are happy and not pressured.

It is hard I have a teenager and 4 year old at home,the teenager is being a mardy cow she never goes out normally but is now moaning that shes stuck in the house and how unfair it is she cant see friends🙄,shes supposed to be home schooled anyway but isnt doing naff all except moan.i keep sending her posts on how serious it all is and that people are dying she doesnt get it and her attitude stinks!
my 4 year old doesn't understand why she cant go school or see friends I've kept busy as I can drawing with her and making the most of the daily walks collecting leaves and stones and sticks making pictures the TV has been a help at times.
All I see is people "homeschooling" and I'm over here winging it dont put to much pressure on yourself.
This morning we are not even dressed and just watching TV my hairs a mess and I'm slobbing around but my kids are happy and not pressured.
I think its the thing of 'you cant go out' that makes it worse esp for teens. I put on my hoodie and trackie bottoms instead of pjs.

Last edited:
I think its the thing of 'you cant go out' that makes it worse esp for teens. I put on my hoodie and trackie bottoms instead of pjs.
It doesnt help when her friends are going for walks and meeting up 😡 I've told her no way is she going for any walks without me as I'm not risking her meeting with friends and I've tried to educate her friends how selfish they are,its falling on deaf ears.one of them came to the door the other day and I think the whole street heard me shouting get back 6ft 😂 I'm embarrassing apparently 🙄

• Haha
It doesnt help when her friends are going for walks and meeting up 😡 I've told her no way is she going for any walks without me as I'm not risking her meeting with friends and I've tried to educate her friends how selfish they are,its falling on deaf ears.one of them came to the door the other day and I think the whole street heard me shouting get back 6ft 😂 I'm embarrassing apparently 🙄
Teenagers are the worst they think they know best and hate missing out:rolleyes:. This whole situation is tit TBH everyone's fed up of staying in and not seeing family and friends. The sooner this is over the better I'll never take popping to the shops for granted again.(y)

I feel horrendous because I'm really not coping 😕

My kids fight constantly (2.5yrs and a 7yr old who has behaviour issues), I keep losing my temper and as soon as I try to wfh all hell breaks loose. I feel like I'm losing it. Their dad is self employed and won't stop working and says he can only take them tonight until lunch on Sunday cos he needs time to do his own shopping and laundry. I have depression and feel like it wont be long before I totally fall apart.
I wish I had something to say that would help. This is an incredibly stressful time that nobody knows how to deal with - we are all just winging it and trying to get through each day. Don’t be hard on yourself. Do something for you tomorrow. Take care

• Heart
I have a four year old and a two year old. Getting cabin fever already. They play together really well but also bicker a lot. I feel sorry for them not being able to go to their favourite places and see their friends. I'm a nurse so at least I get to go to work and have a bit of structure. But its hard

I have an only child and I feel so bad for her. She’s 10 and she hasn’t complained once but I’m worried sick of how she feels being stuck at home. We get out for a daily walk but it’s hard, she’s not interested in crafts or games.
I have a 10 year old only child too in a way I’m glad she has a phone as she has FaceTimed her friends. She’s not moaned either, she’s missing doing her clubs swimming etc. As long as she reads everyday & does her maths I’m quite flexible, it doesn’t help working from home though. Good luck

I have a 10 year old only child too in a way I’m glad she has a phone as she has FaceTimed her friends. She’s not moaned either, she’s missing doing her clubs swimming etc. As long as she reads everyday & does her maths I’m quite flexible, it doesn’t help working from home though. Good luck
She’s been on FaceTime to her cousins for the entire afternoon/evening while playing Roblox and it’s the happiest they’ve been all week. Anything to get through it.

Reactions: 3
Forgot I posted this!!

My 3 year old turns 4 in 2 weeks - think she finally realised today what cancelling her party meant. 😔

In a way I wish she was older. She’s young enough to feel the effects of staying in but not old enough to fully understand. She knows there’s germs and we need to stay in to stop the spread of the germs but then when we go for walls she panics over the germs that she might be touching.

Hope you’re all doing alright! I’m trying set up Skype dates with my daughter’s nursery friends but getting no responses from the parents 🙃

I'm at home with a 4 year old and 22 month old and, honestly, the days are totally dragging in. My husband is working from home but on calls most of the day so he's no help from 8am till about 6pm. My kids generally get up at 6am and it's 13/14 hours of non stop attention from them. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful we're all healthy and no financial worries, but I'm literally counting down the days till nursery opens again (whenever that will be) so I can at least have a piss on my own.

Reactions: 7
I’m with my teenage son. Just the two of us. I could not be happier he’s the person I’m going through this with. He is handling it so maturely and I’m so proud of him.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
For activities for younger kids I'd maybe look at fiveminutemum and busy toddler on Instagram. Its games with household stuff and you can adapt them to include learning if you want. Personally we are just trying to get through, if we dont learn a thing then we dont learn a thing. Although learning is everywhere so they 2ill take something from what you do.