life after Instagram

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This forum has been quite the eye opener. Always thought GOMI was bad , I was never given the opportunity to respond and my account was blocked and deleted.

l had quite a fair few followers and it got far too overwhelming, it really affected my mental health and I just left and stepped away and it was the best thing I ever did.

It seems IG has changed a lot in the two years I've been gone but the negativity against these public accounts is still there.

I think for OG insta people a lot of us didn't realise what came with being so public. so when you start to to get overwhelmed you then start feeling guilty because you start thinking about your followers rather than yourself. you don't want to let them down by not posting because people.message you and tell you you're helping them.

you don't realise that every aspect if your life you out out there is up for scrutiny but when you do that you have no one to blame but yourself.

It's only looking back I have identified how completely out of control it had gotten. feeling like I couldn't ever have a private life ever again.Two years later my personal.life still gets questioned and the theories and the " well i heared" or "I think" still comes up.

it seems IG is a whole new ball game now of adverts ,swipe ups, engagement and content.

it was never about that for me personally, it was naively about trying to inspire people. And while I may have seemed to at the time I thoroughly regret it.

so I genuinely hope this gets left here for people to have a genuine conversation about this.

Theres a lot of scrutiny over those current public accounts , maybe take the time to chat to someone who has experienced some of this who is willing to discuss it.

Ems x

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’m glad you realised insta wasn’t good for your health and stepped away. Unfortunately there are a lot of instagrammers who should step away, but won’t, and it’s not about their followers, it’s about their egos and the cash. Most of them don’t give a toss about their followers, they’re using them for money.

Reactions: 6
yeah I can see it's become a money maker for some people now. Definitely not for me.Its changed so so muchm

I didn't realise at the time how badly it did affect my mental health ,thought I could handle it but I definitely couldn't.

Reactions: 1
To me it’s not “social” media anymore at all, because people aren’t even allowed an opinion without being called trolls, blocked and deleted. Unfortunately a lot of people who are making money from Instagram are deceitful amongst many other unattractive traits. But more and more people are catching on to this

Reactions: 9
I think you should be able to challenge someone if you don't agree with them. Problem is so many people dont like being called out on their behaviour or the things they do.

I was like that, I got so butt hurt ive held my hands up if I've been in the wrong and there were many times I was, even if i didn't see it at the time. it was only when seeing the things on GOMI that I realised that not everyone will like you.

it seems it's just not how it used to be. I feel such an old lady saying that lol.

Reactions: 4
Exactly - everyone does not like everyone in real life, so it’s not going to happen on the internet either

its learning not to take it so personal though. I really did , how bloody daft is that hey?

just some people aren't into what you do or present to them

I think it’s natural to take it personal, but if for those who choose to use it as their business/source of income then they need to get over that. Other businesses have to accept feedback and criticism; good businesses use it to better themselves

Emma, so glad to hear that you're doing ok and I totally agree about Instagram...it becomes a chore and a mental drag....I got terrified when I reached 2k followers, well in truth before that, but 2k just made me step back and not like it anymore...it's a trap trying to be so bloody insta all the time. duck that, I'd rather sit in Weatherspoons with my handful of friends and be a fat happy bleep!

All the best to you, you handsome lady. I had a proper girl crush on you even though I'm married to a lovely chap! 😂❤😱

Xxx

Reactions: 3
I understand yeah. it looks.like a vicious cycle now.

the whole business stuff was ramping up just as I was coming off IG. got offered loads of stuff but it was simply the brands way of getting free advertising and that just wasnt what it was about for me.

even with Jd seasonings, I actually used them so didn't mind tagging them but they just added a code on my repost that I had jo clue about and certainly didn't get anything from it.

its definitely changed a lot. its put me off ever having a public profile ever again.

Emma, so glad to hear that you're doing ok and I totally agree about Instagram...it becomes a chore and a mental drag....I got terrified when I reached 2k followers, well in truth before that, but 2k just made me step back and not like it anymore...it's a trap trying to be so bloody insta all the time. duck that, I'd rather sit in Weatherspoons with my handful of friends and be a fat happy bleep!

All the best to you, you handsome lady. I had a proper girl crush on you even though I'm married to a lovely chap! 😂❤😱

Xxx
ha ha dont tell your hubster!!!

think when you're in the height of your weight loss or whatever your success maybe you dont realise that it can all.come.crashing in around you.

I'm happily living a private life being a chunk and getting on with stuff.

point I was trying to make with this post is for other people to see the other side of how it can affect you when it goes tits up.

Reactions: 2
How do you think it will end for the bigger accounts? The 50k plus ones? Surely it ends at some point? Then what?

I genuinely have no idea. it seems so different these days.

maybe people will just get bored and stop following people. It seems from reading on here that followers are getting savvy to the tricks of some accounts. But whilst others still follow and they are still making money I doubt these influencers will stop.

just depends on what they value more,and whilst it's this so called fame and influence they'll carry on.

I understand yeah. it looks.like a vicious cycle now.

the whole business stuff was ramping up just as I was coming off IG. got offered loads of stuff but it was simply the brands way of getting free advertising and that just wasnt what it was about for me.

even with Jd seasonings, I actually used them so didn't mind tagging them but they just added a code on my repost that I had jo clue about and certainly didn't get anything from it.

its definitely changed a lot. its put me off ever having a public profile ever again.

ha ha dont tell your hubster!!!

think when you're in the height of your weight loss or whatever your success maybe you dont realise that it can all.come.crashing in around you.

I'm happily living a private life being a chunk and getting on with stuff.

point I was trying to make with this post is for other people to see the other side of how it can affect you when it goes tits up.
He'd find it sexy, so I definitely won't be telling him! 😂😂😂😂

I understand exactly what you mean....I am tits up, belly rolls and bingo wings and cool with it! Xxx

I really missed you when you left. I also was on the weight loss wagon, and am no longer. It’s almost addictive the feeling of positive ness, but as soon as you step outside of that and put a bit of weight on, that turns. You don’t know what to post, or who to really be, in my experience any way! Insta is becoming a minefield of oversharing and money mining. I’m glad you’re happy. Xx

it was the right thing for me to do that's for sure. think the thing I've learned more.than anything is that I dont need to share my life with everyone,for one it's boring and secondly it's looking for validation that's not needed. life is more than likes and swipes and engagement. Guess that's easy for.me to say as I'm on the other side now.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
it was the right thing for me to do that's for sure. think the thing I've learned more.than anything is that I dont need to share my life with everyone,for one it's boring and secondly it's looking for validation that's not needed. life is more than likes and swipes and engagement. Guess that's easy for.me to say as I'm on the other side now.
I’m glad you can see that. Your life, is yours to do with as you please. Xx

towards the end it genuinely didn't feel like that though. I'd get messaged saying that I was eating the wrong things or eating too much or too little . I was even messaged when I was out for a meal once and asked why id ordered what I ordered.

I never realised when I was so open and public that id be under so much scrutiny so I definitely did the right thing for me.

• Heart