Learning to read - Book reccomendations for 5 year olds

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My 5 year old is a year and a half into learning to read and isn't picking it up as fast as others in his class. He just isn't interested in it at all and it's a battle most nights to get him to practice. He finds the school standard 'Biff and Chip' books really boring. Last week he brought a book home about whales and his eyes lit up when he told me about it and he actually asked to read it to me, however last night we're back on Biff and Chip and he'd have rather given all his toys away than read it. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good learning to read books / series of books I can buy from amazon that he will actually be interested in reading so we can make learning to read enjoyable for him

It sounds like he already has a preference for non-fiction so stick with those and only ask him to read a few sentences from his biff/ chip books. He doesnt have to read a whole book a night- one page will do. My 6 year old daughter hates me asking her to read because she sees it as a chore but loves bedtime stories etc. I get her to read one page and sometimes she'll carry on for a few more pages and sometimes she'll stop. Reading to a child is just as important as asking them to read to you at this age along with nursery rhymes etc xx

Yes, he loves non fiction and learning facts about things, I will try and find some fact books aimed at his age that we can read together. Admittedly I have been trying to encourage him to read more pages than he wants to and perhaps that's antagonising the situation, like you suggest if I just ask him to read one or two pages perhaps he won't see it as such a chore and then we can go onto read something that he's more interested in together after. Thank you for replying xx

I did teacher training at uni and I cannot emphasise enough that any reading counts. Comics, non fiction, fiction, leaflets, the back of the cereal box, it's all reading and so follow what he likes. Usbourne are great non fiction books, they have lift the flap ones that arent patronising or too simplistic. Have you talked to his teacher about the non fiction preference? Maybe she can help.

Otherwise, do the minimum required of the reading scheme to keep the teacher off your back and let him read what he wants to read.

Reactions: 1
I did teacher training at uni and I cannot emphasise enough that any reading counts. Comics, non fiction, fiction, leaflets, the back of the cereal box, it's all reading and so follow what he likes. Usbourne are great non fiction books, they have lift the flap ones that arent patronising or too simplistic. Have you talked to his teacher about the non fiction preference? Maybe she can help.

Otherwise, do the minimum required of the reading scheme to keep the teacher off your back and let him read what he wants to read.
Thank you for your reply!... I will look at the Usborne ones now. I got in a muddle on Amazon finding things suitable for his age and ability. I will definitely speak to his teacher.

Thank you for your reply!... I will look at the Usborne ones now. I got in a muddle on Amazon finding things suitable for his age and ability. I will definitely speak to his teacher.
If possible maybe just ask him what hes interested in learning about. Also charity shops are gold mines for books. You could maybe give him a little budget and take him to one to choose some books!

• Heart
If possible maybe just ask him what hes interested in learning about. Also charity shops are gold mines for books. You could maybe give him a little budget and take him to one to choose some books!
Yes tonight I've asked him if he'd prefer to read just a page or two of his school book and then one of his books about space and he jumped at it, he's read far more than he usually would and he's happy! I've wrote in his reading diary that he read 2 pages of his school book then 6 pages of a book from home. The only thing that worries me is that they get prizes for reading a certain amount of school books and he will miss out on that doing it this way...I guess that's something I need to discuss with his teacher to find a way around xx