Lara Joanna Jarvis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
After today’s video, I’m like JUST GO FOR A SMALLER HOUSE MATE!!
I hate all this talk about the market isn’t “normal” etc. It is what it is, you get what you can and get on with your life! I live in a two
bed flat and we were grateful we could afford that 3yrs ago! Yes I’d like to have more space but at least we have a roof over our heads and a little space to call home.
I understand her frustration but I really can’t understand why they won’t accept their situation?

Reactions: 13
So the latest house, I think it's the one that was listed for £410k and it's a typical 3 bed, nothing special. Looks like they are bringing their standards down and being more realistic. They could have offered more if they wanted to, last time they did offer £500k after all.

I hate all this talk about the market isn’t “normal” etc. It is what it is, you get what you can and get on with your life! I live in a two
bed flat and we were grateful we could afford that 3yrs ago! Yes I’d like to have more space but at least we have a roof over our heads and a little space to call home.
I understand her frustration but I really can’t understand why they won’t accept their situation?
From floor plan it looks like 75-80 sqm house, so quite small. Looks like they are getting desperate enough to consider this now.

Reactions: 2
So the latest house, I think it's the one that was listed for £410k and it's a typical 3 bed, nothing special. Looks like they are bringing their standards down and being more realistic. They could have offered more if they wanted to, last time they did offer £500k after all.

From floor plan it looks like 75-80 sqm house, so quite small. Looks like they are getting desperate enough to consider this now.
Oh I see, maybe my outburst was a bit unnecessary then 😅 how do you guys find the floor plans etc?

Because accepting her current situation isn’t insta worthy

Reactions: 3
Oh I see, maybe my outburst was a bit unnecessary then 😅 how do you guys find the floor plans etc?
I found a house that matched the description of being 3 bed, where they could put a sofa bed in the dining room, with the same design of houses as you could see from the window of their car after they came out from the viewing listed right before Thursday the 27th of May (when she said they viewed the house) on rightmove and there's a floor plan there.

She did lower her expectations this time (though she probably still needs to compromise more) but her negotiation skills are non-existent. I know she lost out to a cash buyer on this property but she’s telling estate agents everything about her. If you basically tell agents that you’re desperate, love everything about the house and are willing to pay above asking (and even make your first offer above asking) then of course they’re going to manufacture bidding wars.

Reactions: 1
I found a house that matched the description of being 3 bed, where they could put a sofa bed in the dining room, with the same design of houses as you could see from the window of their car after they came out from the viewing listed right before Thursday the 27th of May (when she said they viewed the house) on rightmove and there's a floor plan there.
Oh you are good 👏Can you give a clue of what area they are now looking at? In the vlog they both made a point of saying it was a nice area.

Oh you are good 👏Can you give a clue of what area they are now looking at? In the vlog they both made a point of saying it was a nice area.
Still the same area, they are looking around Basingstoke, I just put the train station +5 miles when I search.

Actually this was the first time I felt sorry for her. They seemed genuinely excited by the house, it seemed achievable budget wise and they seemed realistic about the compromises. I do think she places a lot of weight on first time buyers/their whole back story when the estate agent clearly couldn’t care less, but I think they were maybe unlucky this time.

I hope maybe this means she’s given up manifesting a 5-bed, massive garden, utility room etc etc and will actually find something now.

Reactions: 3
Actually this was the first time I felt sorry for her. They seemed genuinely excited by the house, it seemed achievable budget wise and they seemed realistic about the compromises. I do think she places a lot of weight on first time buyers/their whole back story when the estate agent clearly couldn’t care less, but I think they were maybe unlucky this time.

I hope maybe this means she’s given up manifesting a 5-bed, massive garden, utility room etc etc and will actually find something now.
She has always said that being a first time buyer puts them in the best position. That is hardly ever true.

When I was a first time buyer I was constantly losing out to cash buyers, property developers who could afford to pay more, people who were buying to rent out and had agreed to us that estate agent to rent through. At the end of the day, it normally always comes down to money and not much else.

No one is going to accept a much lower offer just because they're a first time buyer. As shown by the sheer amount of houses they've lost out on.

Reactions: 7
And the way she was telling the estate agent to pass on to the vendors how much they love the house and plan to live there for many years. As if a vendor will turn down more money because Lara and Stu plan to make it a family home for years to come.

She comes across as a complete amateur. I think she is in panic station mode. They should have brought years ago. She had too high expectations and now that it is a seller's market getting upset because they have compertion on every house they see.

Reactions: 6
Long time lurker here - I’m currently in the process of buying a house (hoping to exchange in a few weeks), and like Lara have been planning to do so/saving/looking for some time, hence watching some of her videos. In fairness to her, the market over the last year or so has been nothing short of INSANE and I totally understand the struggle of trying to secure somewhere right now, I’ve missed out multiple times offering well over asking and being a ftb with everything in place. So in that sense I do feel for her, I think it’s a little unfair when I see comments on her videos telling her she just needs to tell them to take it off the market when she offers, it’s genuinely not that easy. Far from it.

The problem is as others have said you have to accept what the market is and in effect change up the ‘game plan’. I was hearing reports of desperate buyers all over the country turning up with pictures of adorable children to try and pull at vendors heart strings months and months ago from high profile buying/estate agents - so whilst that may have worked in a different market (people have lots of emotions wrapped up in bricks and mortar, that angle does absolutely work), when lots are employing a similar tactic, it just doesn’t necessarily have the weight that it might have if there were less buyers around.

Even then, it will only work if you know the sellers position, what’s actually important to them and then try to demonstrate what you can offer that fulfils their needs. If the sellers are stretching to reach their next purchase, it might be better for them to have a slightly longer chain and achieve more money and go with the highest bidder, in that case ftb would be a bonus but not the primary driver. If it’s been a family home for many years that you are sad to leave and finances are less of an issue, you might be happy to accept a little less money, and be content knowing you are helping someone get on the ladder and/or find a long term home. If you are moving to a new area and have kids to get into a new school by start of term, a cash buyer (maybe even one that offers less than a ftb but doesn’t care re searches so will be fast etc) would be better for you. Some people have a hatred of selling to developers so would turn down a higher bid from them, etc etc. As mentioned above whilst being a ftb is a benefit and will absolutely put you in a better position than others, it doesnt trump everything, far from it.

Reactions: 4
And the way she was telling the estate agent to pass on to the vendors how much they love the house and plan to live there for many years. As if a vendor will turn down more money because Lara and Stu plan to make it a family home for years to come.

She comes across as a complete amateur. I think she is in panic station mode. They should have brought years ago. She had too high expectations and now that it is a seller's market getting upset because they have compertion on every house they see.
That's because she IS a complete amateur.

It doesn't appear that she's ever put any effort into gaining skills or knowledge of anything financial past shopping at Aldi.

Reactions: 4
How can you be an expert on buying and selling, and offering advice if you’ve never done it? She’s got no experience of chains, the process, what it’s really like to buy and sell so why is she setting herself up as an expert?

Reactions: 8
How can you be an expert on buying and selling, and offering advice if you’ve never done it? She’s got no experience of chains, the process, what it’s really like to buy and sell so why is she setting herself up as an expert?
I know she is such an embarrassment.

Reactions: 2
It’s worrying that some people are following her for genuine house buying advice. I’m living in the third house we’ve bought and probably still wouldn’t market myself as an expert! When she talks about mortgages I cringe because I really don’t think she fully understands just repeats what she’s read/heard on podcasts.

Reactions: 1