Tablet or laptop

• Tablet

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Laptop

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Both

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
With the increasing price an quality of both laptops an tablets now, is it worth having just one to do all the work or is there still a need for both?

Right now I have a laptop that's coming up around 15 year old an a tablet thats around 6 year old, both I feel are a bit outdated an the laptop is incredibly slow, am around 10 minutes just waiting on it starting up an with the tablet am getting to that stage that some apps aren't supported anymore

However with the prices now of a good tablet an laptop, am not going to be able to afford both of them, usually for laptops I tend to go towards the hp ones an for tablets the Samsung as its the only brands I am a bit familiar with

So is it worth thinking more about getting a tablet over a laptop? I see more an more tablets coming with keyboards now, I wouldn't be looking to get one for heavy gaming or office, it's more for emails, video chatting, photos an maybe editing them, online browsing an perhaps streaming an maybe doing some art work etc

What worrys me is the tablet may be outdated quicker than a laptop would, I've been looking at the Samsung S8's but they do come with quite a price tag if after 2 years they are badly outdated

I have a Lenovo laptop that transforms into a tablet, it came with a pen and is touch screen. Its fab, really good for when I'm marking and want don't want to type as I can just draw/write on the screen. https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideap...TTBoC_DMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#sku=sku24377337
Thanks I'll have a look, I remember looking at those when they first come out an being put off them as they had a habit of breaking in half but I assume that problem has been fixed now

I bought an ipad about 3 years ago and bought a Logitech magnetic keyboard for it, and a Logitech pen.
To be honest I don’t use the pen, but the keyboard is so useful. I used to have a laptop but couldn’t justify the price for a new one, as at home all i do is watch youtube, go on tattle ( :LOL: ), check the news, check emails, watch netflix. I think If you generally just do those things then the tablet is fine. I’ve had this one for 3 years with no sign of it slowing yet.

I would love a laptop but as I said, I don’t really do anything on one that I can’t do on my ipad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I think a touchscreen laptop or a tablet with a proper keyboard is the best, so basically them merged!

I wish places like apple would hurry up and put touch screen in. I use a touchscreen laptop and I'm forever going to touch colleagues screens before realising it doesn't work😤

Reactions: 3
I'll probably have a look at tablets then, it seems tablets are getting to that stage now they are doing just as much as a laptop, an I agree, it can be a pain carrying a laptop around than a tablet

I'll probably have a look at tablets then, it seems tablets are getting to that stage now they are doing just as much as a laptop, an I agree, it can be a pain carrying a laptop around than a tablet
I just bought my wife a new Amazon Fire 7" kindle/tablet, Argos are selling them for £31.99, it's the new 12th gen. edition as her current one is the 7th gen.
Total bargain.
As others have said if it's just for general use, shopping, tv apps, browsing etc just get a tablet.

What about a Chromebook? You can get touchscreen ones, so could be the best of both as you can load Android apps. I've had one for years, don't miss Windows at all for basic browsing and streaming. You'd have to look into what is available for art / photo editing, although I was looking for Christmas presents for my son the other day and you can plug in a select few drawing pads if that's your thing.

Edit for longest sentence ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I have a tablet with a keyboard, it’s very easy to use and much lighter than a laptop. I have to carry it around a lot and a laptop would be too heavy for that.

I agree re Chromebooks, I have one,my second one, it is touchscreen, can be folded like a tablet, put in tent position and used like a laptop.It has Google Play for Android apps though some don't work due to the developers, most have an auto update policy of about 5 years after that can be used but no security updates.

I've been thinking of the Chromebooks but cause I've never had one am not familiar with them or the best brands etc

With the increasing price an quality of both laptops an tablets now, is it worth having just one to do all the work or is there still a need for both?

Right now I have a laptop that's coming up around 15 year old an a tablet thats around 6 year old, both I feel are a bit outdated an the laptop is incredibly slow, am around 10 minutes just waiting on it starting up an with the tablet am getting to that stage that some apps aren't supported anymore

However with the prices now of a good tablet an laptop, am not going to be able to afford both of them, usually for laptops I tend to go towards the hp ones an for tablets the Samsung as its the only brands I am a bit familiar with

So is it worth thinking more about getting a tablet over a laptop? I see more an more tablets coming with keyboards now, I wouldn't be looking to get one for heavy gaming or office, it's more for emails, video chatting, photos an maybe editing them, online browsing an perhaps streaming an maybe doing some art work etc

What worrys me is the tablet may be outdated quicker than a laptop would, I've been looking at the Samsung S8's but they do come with quite a price tag if after 2 years they are badly outdated
For the Laptop: Wipe the hard drive and install an operating system such as Linux Mint, or Ubuntu. It should be quite speedy on old hardware.

Both are more user friendly versions of Linux, akin to Windows.

You can also create a bootable USB stick if you wanted to try it out first. It should give you the experience to try out before commiting to a full permanent install.

For the Laptop: Wipe the hard drive and install an operating system such as Linux Mint, or Ubuntu. It should be quite speedy on old hardware.

Both are more user friendly versions of Linux, akin to Windows.

You can also create a bootable USB stick if you wanted to try it out first. It should give you the experience to try out before commiting to a full permanent install.
Tbh I think the laptop was never great to begin with, it was my own fault for not taking it back when I got it cause it's always been slow, but I'll try that out, is there's costs to them?

Tbh I think the laptop was never great to begin with, it was my own fault for not taking it back when I got it cause it's always been slow, but I'll try that out, is there's costs to them?
If you have a free USB stick, format it and follow the installation guides.

Trying on a USB stick will allow you to see how it works without committing to a full install.

Both Linux Mint and Ubuntu are Free.

On my older laptop the hard drive is knackered. I still have it in use via the Mint operating system on USB. It works quite well.

Persistence mode on Ubuntu will allow you to save settings - although it will be a bit slower. Unfortunately Mint doesn't currently offer this feature.

In response to your comment. All technology becomes slower over time. File sizes become larger and hardware requirements become more demanding for modern software. This is more true for the Windows operating system which becomes ever more bloated with crap.

Android and Apple OS used on mobile phones and tablets, are a fork of the Linux operating system.

Last edited:
If you have a free USB stick, format it and follow the installation guides.

Trying on a USB stick will allow you to see how it works without committing to a full install.

Both Linux Mint and Ubuntu are Free.

On my older laptop the hard drive is knackered. I still have it in use via the Mint operating system on USB. It works quite well.

Persistence mode on Ubuntu will allow you to save settings - although it will be a bit slower. Unfortunately Mint doesn't currently offer this feature.

In response to your comment. All technology becomes slower over time. File sizes become larger and hardware requirements become more demanding for modern software. This is more true for the Windows operating system which becomes ever more bloated with crap.

Android and Apple OS used on mobile phones and tablets, are a fork of the Linux operating system.
Thanks I'll give this a try out, I think I'll still get a tablet just because the laptop is still going be outdated, but it would be nice to still have it as back up an not wait forever on it setting up, I know things get slower over time but since day one it's been slow when it was new an it's only gotten worse