Landlord won't fix major problems

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been renting a house for the past 7 years. When I moved in there was a small crack in the kitchen over the years it's got bigger alot bigger recently I even have rain water drip through the ceiling. The landlord has known about this for years and has chosen to do nothing. He came out in January and said for the first time he would get it sorted I've heard absolutely nothing despite chasing him several times. It's got to the point I am concerned is this even safe anymore? I have a child that lives here. The joke is that they have actually put the rent up last month but the house looks like this. I feel stuck because rent prices are so high I can't afford to rent elsewhere because this is still cheap compared to rent in my area. I have called environmental health they should be coming to do a visit soon. Any advice would be appreciated I am very concerned. Crack measures 25mm. One picture shows where you can see actual daylight through the crack

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Bless you, landlords can be evil! Can you speak to citizens advice or shelter? Good luck with getting things sorted x

are you UK or ireland? is your landlord registered?

i would communicate only via email, say you are following up on what he said in january about fixing the problem and attach photos.

the thing is, you really are at the mercy of a landlord. of course that’s not right, you should be able to flag issues and have them fixed in a timely manor.

Have a read of this, your landlord needs to sort it out, especially if there is water coming in. Have you spoken to the local council at all? He should be registered with them and if he isn't doing the repairs that he should then he can be fined & they'll make him sort it out

I feel for you. It is worrying having to complain as you can fear they will terminate the lease. However they need to prove they are moving back into the property.
We were 10 yrs with our last landlord and he did most of the repairs himself. However he also had contract work which took him away for weeks at a time. So getting things fixed timely was a constant issue.
Also when he did fix something he was in our home for the entire day as he would forget tools or supplies and disappear for an hour to get them. The was no sense of a hurry like he was just enjoying hanging out in our home, taking phone calls and doing a bit of work!
We wanted out and the final straw was a sunken floor which needed repairing in the utility room. It took 3 years for him to get around to it and frankly he wanted his ego stroked when he did eventually do it. Like it was some timely job.
And this was one of the better landlords we had experienced.