Knee pain in 8 year old

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well his urgent appointment has come through for the 13th May! Got drs ringing tomorrow morning to see how he is, he hasn't been to school all week as in too much pain!
How did the appointment go?

My son was diagnosed with Junior Idiopathic Arthritis age 6 but he did have heat and swelling in his knee. They took fluid from his knee and tested it then told me he didn't have JIA then came back later that day and said he did! However, after a steroid injection into his knee thankfully it never came back and his JIA has remained dormant and he's now a young adult.

Hope your son is doing OK and not in too much pain and you get a diagnosis of what's wrong.

Reactions: 2
How did the appointment go?

My son was diagnosed with Junior Idiopathic Arthritis age 6 but he did have heat and swelling in his knee. They took fluid from his knee and tested it then told me he didn't have JIA then came back later that day and said he did! However, after a steroid injection into his knee thankfully it never came back and his JIA has remained dormant and he's now a young adult.

Hope your son is doing OK and not in too much pain and you get a diagnosis of what's wrong.
Hey, he ended up being admitted a couple of weeks ago as his leg buckled under him whilst walking down the stairs, thankfully the dogs a idiot and broke his fall by being in the way! They did blood tests that have all come back clear, he's been referred to a rheumatologist, so just waiting on that appointment to come through. He is still in pain, some days worse than others. Glad your lad is is doing well x

• Heart
Aw, hope you don't have to wait too long for the Rheumatology appointment. No blood tests showed up my son's JIA it was only when they sent the fluid from his knee away for testing that they diagnosed it. When my son was under a Rheumatologist he said if he ever feels the pain again just go straight to A&E so try that if you're waiting too long for an appointment if his pain gets worse. Good luck.

Aw, hope you don't have to wait too long for the Rheumatology appointment. No blood tests showed up my son's JIA it was only when they sent the fluid from his knee away for testing that they diagnosed it. When my son was under a Rheumatologist he said if he ever feels the pain again just go straight to A&E so try that if you're waiting too long for an appointment if his pain gets worse. Good luck.
Thank you, some one recommended Epsom salts baths so were trying them at night time and he seems to settle easier after one. It's mornings we struggle as he has lansoprozole and then can't have anything for 30 mins so has to wait for pain relief. But we will get there! Xx

Reactions: 3
We have hospital tomorrow thankfully, so hopefully we will have some answers soon, he's devoleped this lump on his neck too lately. Kids gonna turn me grey by the time I'm 34 lol
I hope you get some answers.

When my son was in hospital with his JIA, there was a boy on the ward with a lump like that which his mother said literally came up overnight (but it was a lot bigger than your sons) and he had surgery to remove it. It was a type of cyst.

Good luck tomorrow.

Reactions: 1
We have hospital tomorrow thankfully, so hopefully we will have some answers soon, he's devoleped this lump on his neck too lately. Kids gonna turn me grey by the time I'm 34 lol
The lump could be a Lipoma developed one a few years back which went down with no treatment.Hope they get things sorted for your young man

I just noticed this thread whilst I was searching for something else and just wanted to share my experience with chronic knee pain as a child. It turned out to be Osgood Schlatter’s Disease, which is a condition that causes pain and swelling below the knee joint, where the patellar tendon attaches to the top of the shinbone (tibia), a spot called the tibial tuberosity. There may also be inflammation of the tendon, which stretches over the kneecap. As this is very commonly labelled as ‘growing pains’ and onset usually starts around 8 years old, I thought I’d throw it in the mix. The good news is I had a very successful sporting life and after a lateral release operation 25 years ago, I’m fine. I don’t think they do this operation anymore as it is not that successful. But I would suggest the red Tiger Balm (unless he has super sensitive skin). Massage it all over his leg to above the knee, works a treat. Also yes Epsom Salt and daily stretching of the hamstrings and hips help immensely. Good luck with the appointment.

• Heart
How did you get on?
hiya, dr gave him a good looking over, agreed that his neck looked worrying but on examination thinks its a lymph node laying over his muscle, she said all the nodes from his skull to his shoulder on left side are all inflamed. It looks like it's definitely a a form of arthritis, just got to find out what type etc. so still non the wiser really but thankfully I know I don't need to worry about his lumpy neck! x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
hiya, dr gave him a good looking over, agreed that his neck looked worrying but on examination thinks its a lymph node laying over his muscle, she said all the nodes from his skull to his shoulder on left side are all inflamed. It looks like it's definitely a a form of arthritis, just got to find out what type etc. so still non the wiser really but thankfully I know I don't need to worry about his lumpy neck! x
Bless him. I hope he’s ok. ❤

• Heart
God love him I have arthritis myself I know how rough it is hopefully they can sort him out soon💜

• Heart