Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kissmeimirish

VIP Member
Well I am 35 and the reason i like clearpay is I feel the guilt for spending money on myself and not on my wee ones so if I buy makeup at £24.. £6 a fortnight seems so much better. (Sad feeling the mummy guilt for spending so little but I really do) I do see how it could spiral for some people though.

Reactions: 13

TruffleTrifle

I use it because I like ordering multiples of sizes then I can send the ones that don’t fit back and not have to wait for the money to come back. I shop mostly with Asos as i pay for their next day delivery annually. I like their range of brands but as I’ve lost weight and I’m quite short I need to try things on! I don’t have an interest account I literally just pay it off within the 30 days or whatever. Most I’ve had on there is like £50 and I pay it off in one go once any returns are sorted. I can see how people get sucked into ordering loads and never paying it off though.

Reactions: 11

Web30

VIP Member
Ive used it for hnm. I only used it as I couldn't be bothered to go and get my card 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Octopies

Chatty Member
Anything that normalises borrowing money to buy everyday items like clothes is pretty fucking terrible in my eyes. It’s not about the amounts, it’s about normalising it. Great if you are one of those people who pay off it full, but for every one of those, there are a handful of people who will get into debt. Total slippery slope and I’m talking as someone who, in my early 20s, thought my Very account was basically free money

Reactions: 7

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
Things like Klarna make me feel really uncomfortable because they seem to market themselves to people of my age group (early 20s) when you might not have the greatest credit score anyway, or you've just started uni and have student loans, and then it promotes the idea that you can buy whatever even if you can't afford it there and then, and get sucked into (even more) debt. I also think it promotes fast fashion which isn't good for the environment. I see it advertised a lot on Pretty Little Thing, ASOS, Boohoo, Missguided - sites like that, usually ones that are endorsed by Love Island stars. I can see why it's enticing though and suppose it IS useful if you use it sensibly!! just doesn't sit right with me

Reactions: 5

Noname12345

Chatty Member
I think klarna can have a negative impact on one's credit score.

I don't shop online a lot, but I don't mind waiting few days for a refund.

Reactions: 4

Secretadmirer

VIP Member
I don't really like things like Klarna as it can be sooo easy for people to get sucked into buying things they can't afford. I used it for H&M as there sizing is terrible I always used to pay monthly invoices with them so I could order lots and send stuff back. Used to for ASOS twice, had a problem with my order being cancelled and sent back to them - klarna didn't update the payment method and their customer service was terrible, basically told me they don't have the power to adjust the amount, couldn't do anything (I'd got proof from topshop, emails confirming refund and messages saying what was happening) so I had to report a problem with that order, escalate it all and wait absolutely ages for a response.
Won't be using them again now!

Reactions: 3

SugarQueen

I’ve just used Klarna for the first time last month for some new hair straighteners on ASOS, love it! And will probably use it again, but I’m quite sensible (boringly) and will not order anything until the 3 payments on my cloud nines are done :)

Kissmeimirish

VIP Member
I dont see it as borrowing money though its literally just splitting the cost in 4 separate payments. It's not credit that theres interest on etc.

Porkiepies

VIP Member
I used Klarna a lot over Christmas. Just finished paying everything back. I found it useful and easy way to budget, I knew for 2 months I had to pay xx with no interest. If I had used my overdraft I'd of had a charge, if I used my credit card I'd have interest after 30 days so by using Klarna I saved a few ££.
I can see how easy it would be to abuse it though because I've tempted a few times to use it again in Schuh and H&M.

I’ve used it a few times, I used it for 2 pairs of vans for the kids to go back to school, so £40 for 3 months instead of £120 straight up was good for me after buying all the uniforms etc. I used it at Xmas time for trainers. I pay it on time and it’s interest free, affordable as a single parent. I don’t have massive amounts of spare cash but I budget well and no one goes without. Same with very, I order things we need and pay back before the interest hits, works out the same price as if I paid upfront and my credit rating is fine.

Reactions: 2

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
I use it when I order multiple items. I send back what I don’t want and then lay right away.
I’d never use it, if I couldn’t afford something. It’s mainly just so I can have a big order and not have the faff of the returns and refunds.
I can see how it would be dangerous though.

Hobbitsies

So I see that this is growing significantly?

I'm from the UK and the first time I noticed klarna was on beautybay I think? Now it is everywhere and I could access it on most online websites that I use.

What are your opinions?
Do you use it? Why?
If you don't, why not?

Do we think this is dangerous?

Personally, it can have a place if someone is using if and they know they will pay it off but I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people who use it don't.

I personally love Klarna...I’ve used it so many times mainly on ASOS as it gives you the option to buy a few items and then you can decide what’s ok to keep or not. I also used it a few months ago on JD Sports and split the payment across 3 months for trainers. So £90 across 3 months. I Actually ended up paying it back early as I had some extra money. I have in the past got myself into a large amount of debt on a credit card and I just think Klarna is so much better to manage than credit cards and loans. As long as your responsible obviously.

Reactions: 1

No style rocky

I use it a lot with ASOS. I know that every Asos order I place some of it will be returned (tbh I don’t know why they still let me shop with them as I return so much) I find the Asos return process really simple and each time my klarna account has been updated with the refund within 7 days. It works for me but agree it could be a slippery slope

Reactions: 1

flamingo29

Chatty Member
I’ve think i’ve used it once on BeautyBay but probably wouldn’t use it again..
I often use Paypals ‘pay after delivery’ if it is an available option which takes the payment out 14 days later..
I budget all my money each month and rolling something into the next months pay means I can budget around it if that makes any sense 🤷🏼‍♀️🙈

anything at all

VIP Member
I don’t use it as haven’t had a need to.

Could see it being useful if you wanted to buy/order multiple sizes to try on and send back the ones you don’t want and then pay for the one you keep.. But other than that I see no point buying things I can’t afford? Would rather pay now if I have the money and if not then tough I can’t have it? 🤣

Hobbitsies

I use it because I like ordering multiples of sizes then I can send the ones that don’t fit back and not have to wait for the money to come back. I shop mostly with Asos as i pay for their next day delivery annually. I like their range of brands but as I’ve lost weight and I’m quite short I need to try things on! I don’t have an interest account I literally just pay it off within the 30 days or whatever. Most I’ve had on there is like £50 and I pay it off in one go once any returns are sorted. I can see how people get sucked into ordering loads and never paying it off though.
I can 100% see the benefit there. ASOS is terrible for sizing and I always find myself sending half of it back!
I think klarna can have a negative impact on one's credit score.

I don't shop online a lot, but I don't mind waiting few days for a refund.
Really? Does it show up as a negative like using a pay day leader or? I haven’t seen much about it.
Never used klarna but I love clearpay. Think it is something similar?
Yeah I think they are! Not sure how widespread clearpay is? I haven’t seen it widely at all. Klarna seems to be everywhere!
Things like Klarna make me feel really uncomfortable because they seem to market themselves to people of my age group (early 20s) when you might not have the greatest credit score anyway, or you've just started uni and have student loans, and then it promotes the idea that you can buy whatever even if you can't afford it there and then, and get sucked into (even more) debt. I also think it promotes fast fashion which isn't good for the environment. I see it advertised a lot on Pretty Little Thing, ASOS, Boohoo, Missguided - sites like that, usually ones that are endorsed by Love Island stars. I can see why it's enticing though and suppose it IS useful if you use it sensibly!! just doesn't sit right with me
Actually what inspired this questions was seeing so many influencers posting about it and thinking it was sketchy. So many young people (my ageish) and even teenagers seeing it without knowing the real complications that come with it.

Well I am 35 and the reason i like clearpay is I feel the guilt for spending money on myself and not on my wee ones so if I buy makeup at £24.. £6 a fortnight seems so much better. (Sad feeling the mummy guilt for spending so little but I really do) I do see how it could spiral for some people though.
My mum was like this when I was young, she would never buy stuff for herself as it meant me going without. So I 100% think that is a good way of using it.