When are kids too old for dummies/bottles & other such items?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got thinking about this after seeing that Sophie May Dickson's daughter is still allowed a dummy aged almost 7! Why do so many vloggers, instagramers ect. Allow their children to suck dummies, drink from baby bottles, be pushed around in buggies at 4, 5 ,6 years old? It seems mental to me!

Is it really this common for everyone and I've just not noticed it? Or am I looking it to this too much?

I'm not by any means having a go at anyone how uses dummies or bottles, I'm getting pyced up to wrestle the bedtime dummy off my almost 2 year old, but I really can't see the need, additional needs aside, for a child of 5 to have one jammed in their gob all the time.

Not sure if anyone else has also noticed this. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 1
We’ve never used dummies, my kids just weren’t that fussed with them so I didn’t see the point but I agree. There is no reason for your average 4/5/6 year old to be using them. I also think it bout buggies too - I’ve seen children in school uniforms being pushed around in them. Unless they are medically needed I do not understand them being used.

Reactions: 2
My baby is over 1 now and he hates having a dummy even when I offer one at night time, in my opinion it’s best to go cold turkey at a young age otherwise they’ll never let go and will fully depend on them. I can’t wait to get rid of the pram as well, they are so bulky and it’s exciting for me to see my little one walking around. 😂

It took a good few attempts for my 3 year old to get rid of his dummy and I’m trying with my two year old but no having much luck.

They were good at getting rid of bottles though.

I would be mortified if they still had them at 4/5+

My youngest hates the pushchair which is a nightmare having two so young if I want to run any errands etc mainly from a safety point of view, she as no sense of danger and runs off!

Got thinking about this after seeing that Sophie May Dickson's daughter is still allowed a dummy aged almost 7! Why do so many vloggers, instagramers ect. Allow their children to suck dummies, drink from baby bottles, be pushed around in buggies at 4, 5 ,6 years old? It seems mental to me!

Is it really this common for everyone and I've just not noticed it? Or am I looking it to this too much?

I'm not by any means having a go at anyone how uses dummies or bottles, I'm getting pyced up to wrestle the bedtime dummy off my almost 2 year old, but I really can't see the need, additional needs aside, for a child of 5 to have one jammed in their gob all the time.

Not sure if anyone else has also noticed this. Any thoughts?
Lazy parenting?

Unless there’s underlying medical/emotional issues I would say it’s just lazy parents 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 2
It took a good few attempts for my 3 year old to get rid of his dummy and I’m trying with my two year old but no having much luck.
Not sure it will help but there was an episode of Supernanny ages ago where she had the idea to get the child to give their dummies to the 'Dummy fairy', so she can 'send them to kids who need them.' The girl quickly handed over her dummies and hung them from a tree outside so the 'fairy' could collect them, and then they left her a present.

Not sure it will help but there was an episode of Supernanny ages ago where she had the idea to get the child to give their dummies to the 'Dummy fairy', so she can 'send them to kids who need them.' The girl quickly handed over her dummies and hung them from a tree outside so the 'fairy' could collect them, and then they left her a present.
Works a treat with some kids.

My son used dummies at 4 but he was going through cancer treatment and they really provided comfort for him so we picked our battles. Anything that comforted him during that time was 100% okay for us. He passed away in 2016.

My daughter is 3, and while she never met him we speak about him constantly of course.

We did a twist on the dummy fairy and put her dummies in an envelope to ’heaven’ and gave them to her brother to have. She was happy to give them to him. We told her there wasn’t a dummy shop there so we had to sacrifice ours for him.

My friend did almost the same thing and ‘sent’ them to babies in other countries who were too poor to have dummies. Different stories work for different kids I guess. Worth a try if you’re struggling. It’s hard to get them off them when they’re so attached.

• Sad
Reactions: 3

My son used dummies at 4 but he was going through cancer treatment and they really provided comfort for him so we picked our battles. Anything that comforted him during that time was 100% okay for us. He passed away in 2016.

My daughter is 3, and while she never met him we speak about him constantly of course.

We did a twist on the dummy fairy and put her dummies in an envelope to ’heaven’ and gave them to her brother to have. She was happy to give them to him. We told her there wasn’t a dummy shop there so we had to sacrifice ours for him.

My friend did almost the same thing and ‘sent’ them to babies in other countries who were too poor to have dummies. Different stories work for different kids I guess. Worth a try if you’re struggling. It’s hard to get them off them when they’re so attached.
So sorry for your loss xxx

I told my kids the dog had eaten the dummies and the spare ones too. They love the dog so forgave them pretty quickly they were about 2 at the time so easy to lie too 🙈🙊

Couldn't read and run. I’m so sorry for your loss x

So sorry for your loss. x