Katie Snooks #2 Kathleen's still talking about her bowler hat whilst G's swinging the da cat

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Possibly, the one thing I actually don't judge influencers for is heating. I am always cold, my ideal temperature is 25+ degree Celsius and also in our current place everything is electric, we do not have gas here, our bill is pretty high anyway so a few extra quid a month to feel comfortable is not gonna break the bank. We both hate layering up clothes so we keep the temperature between 20 and 22 degrees in the kitchen/lounge area (our bedroom is cooler because you get more restful sleep in a cooler room).
Temperature is such a personal thing, some people are hot at 18 degrees, some people are cold at 25 - can't be helped! If you can afford to have the heating on, go for it.
Also, I don't think they have the heating on that much, G is usually wearing trousers and a knit/shirt. She just doesn't like to get dressed!
I am also a perpetually cold person which is exactly why i thought it haha!! When working from an office was still a thing im that person sat with 4 layers and gloves and a blanket on and still shivering

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Fair enough the dinner looks semi healthy (compared with the stuff she had over the weekend)...
k2.png

But I wonder what else she had with it? Booze? Some chocolate for a dessert? I find it when I manage no to have any sugar for a few days, my stomach is super flat. I think some people just don't digest sugar very well. Maybe that's the case with Katie. Also, it does annoy me that she uses different angles for both photos. In the one with the flat tummy she's posing so the tummy is even smaller, in the bloated one she's arching, so it seems bigger. I can't wait to watch the vlog and see how many fodmap diet rules she's bending. :rolleyes:
k.png

Reactions: 7
Fair enough the dinner looks semi healthy (compared with the stuff she had over the weekend)...
View attachment 403150

But I wonder what else she had with it? Booze? Some chocolate for a dessert? I find it when I manage no to have any sugar for a few days, my stomach is super flat. I think some people just don't digest sugar very well. Maybe that's the case with Katie. Also, it does annoy me that she uses different angles for both photos. In the one with the flat tummy she's posing so the tummy is even smaller, in the bloated one she's arching, so it seems bigger. I can't wait to watch the vlog and see how many fodmap diet rules she's bending. :rolleyes:
View attachment 403149
Shes deffo pushing out her belly in the other one. Its all just for attention.

Reactions: 10
Wasn't garlic one of the things that made her have a massive cry because she couldn't buy ready made fodmap diet friendly food in Tesco? Yet, two weeks later, she's lathering garlic oil on potatoes?
View attachment 401819
[/QUOTE]
IBS and fodmap is a bit more difficult than that. Garlic (and onion) is high fodmap and usually one of the items most people can’t have. Garlic oil, however, is often not high fodmap (depending on how it’s made). The same goes for broccoli, where the stem is high, but the top part is lower, and tender stem broccoli is the exact opposite. But people respond very differently to some of the items, and that’s why you should follow the elimination diet as precisely as possible. Which means no alcohol or fizzy drinks, and it is better to make everything from scratch so that you can ensure everything is low fodmap. This is mostly where Katie goes wrong (especially if the fizzy drinks contain artificial sweeteners etc.) and why you should do it with the guidance of a dietitian.

My main triggers are onions and garlic (but can have some if I don’t ‘stack’ with other high fodmap items, such as in a curry with legumes, broccoli/peas/cauliflower), chickpeas, apples and beer. Too heavy and/or large meals are also a no-go for me. This is pretty normal for people with IBS.

There is also a closer relationship between the digestive system and what goes on in your head than most people think, and high stress, anxiety etc. usually trigger a reaction. This is why many people, also individuals who don’t have IBS, get a nervous stomach. If I can keep my stress levels/anxiety in check, I usually have few IBS symptoms.

In addition to this, exercise is extremely important and jeans/clothes shouldn’t be too tight on the stomach. A high water intake is important, and meals should be eaten regularly/with regular intervals. I can also assume she doesn’t get enough fibre in her diet.

Sorry for the long rant, haha. But the TLDR is that the elimination diet should be done as precisely as possible, which Katie doesn’t seem to do. But the elimination of triggering foods isn’t a solution in itself, and should often be accompanied by lifestyle changes.

Reactions: 8
I know fodmap is a specific group of compounds and so technically removing them doesn't have to mean a super healthy or restricted diet...

But Jesus, her weekend consisted of bacon and eggs, Chinese takeaway, a roast and tons of alcohol. Nothing healthy or good for your general digestion, just fat, processed meat and booze.
Yes, yet the bloating photo she showed was a complete mystery to her. Strange.

Reactions: 2
Yes, yet the bloating photo she showed was a complete mystery to her. Strange.
Yeah, she’s obviously not doing what she’s supposed to. Saw that her snack was rice cakes with what looked like a whole ripe banana. Unripe banana is safe (low fodmap), whereas ripe banana is high fodmap (some can tolerate 1/3 of a ripe banana/about 30g, but you shouldn’t have ripe banana during elimination unless it is a test).

Yikes. Not sure how I feel about her new 'series'.

Gaslighting is an important topic but, as a mental health professional, it does worry me when influencers suddenly decide to give unqualified advice.

Share your story (if you feel comfortable) sure, but maybe just link to some resources and leave the guidance to the professionals.

I appreciate she probably has the best of intentions with this but I don't think it's the best idea. Stick to the fanny clay, Kath.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Omg the style of those pictures drives me crazy. Number 4 is missing “to” at the start of the sentence, her watermark moves between slides, the last picture is a double line which wouldn’t happen if it’s in a search bar... sorry, I’m sure it’s an important message but christ.
Also she put this content out years ago.. maybe it’s important to revisit 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just seems totally random amongst her content.

also @unt Bessie fanny clay 😂

Reactions: 6
IBS and fodmap is a bit more difficult than that. Garlic (and onion) is high fodmap and usually one of the items most people can’t have. Garlic oil, however, is often not high fodmap (depending on how it’s made). The same goes for broccoli, where the stem is high, but the top part is lower, and tender stem broccoli is the exact opposite. But people respond very differently to some of the items, and that’s why you should follow the elimination diet as precisely as possible. Which means no alcohol or fizzy drinks, and it is better to make everything from scratch so that you can ensure everything is low fodmap. This is mostly where Katie goes wrong (especially if the fizzy drinks contain artificial sweeteners etc.) and why you should do it with the guidance of a dietitian.

My main triggers are onions and garlic (but can have some if I don’t ‘stack’ with other high fodmap items, such as in a curry with legumes, broccoli/peas/cauliflower), chickpeas, apples and beer. Too heavy and/or large meals are also a no-go for me. This is pretty normal for people with IBS.

There is also a closer relationship between the digestive system and what goes on in your head than most people think, and high stress, anxiety etc. usually trigger a reaction. This is why many people, also individuals who don’t have IBS, get a nervous stomach. If I can keep my stress levels/anxiety in check, I usually have few IBS symptoms.

In addition to this, exercise is extremely important and jeans/clothes shouldn’t be too tight on the stomach. A high water intake is important, and meals should be eaten regularly/with regular intervals. I can also assume she doesn’t get enough fibre in her diet.

Sorry for the long rant, haha. But the TLDR is that the elimination diet should be done as precisely as possible, which Katie doesn’t seem to do. But the elimination of triggering foods isn’t a solution in itself, and should often be accompanied by lifestyle changes.
Thanks, this is so helpful and informative! It would help if Katie did add little explanations such as why is garlic not OK, but why is it OK to have garlic oil. (BTW my dad has IBS as I mentioned, and onion is a big NO for him, he's had to replace with leek which works quite OK for a lot of dishes but as far as I know, he can have garlic but then everyone is different).
I feel like she should add these little caveats, as I am sure she's getting lots of messages telling her she's doing things wrong.
Unless she's planning to do a big video where she explains things as she goes along, like she did with her accutane journey.
But I do agree that she's not very strict. In last week's vlog which I watched last night, she was having some ready made crispy beef and as she was reading out the ingredients, a couple of them were not good for the elimination diet.
Katie and G seem to have quite a few ready meals which cannot be good for the elimination diet. Also in that vlog, she ordered some mash potato which didn't arrive but she didn't think to order potatoes just in case, and cook the mash from scratch 😱 I think that sometimes there might be some additives in ready made mash which is probably not good for the diet.
And also, I'm quite sad to say this but she's just so lazy. If the bloating and feeling unwell really bothered her that much, she would get her tit together and cooked everything from scratch. It's probably not very nice of me to say this but I feel like she's doing the diet at least partially for content and views rather than to make herself feel better.

Omg the style of those pictures drives me crazy. Number 4 is missing “to” at the start of the sentence, her watermark moves between slides, the last picture is a double line which wouldn’t happen if it’s in a search bar... sorry, I’m sure it’s an important message but christ.
Also she put this content out years ago.. maybe it’s important to revisit 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just seems totally random amongst her content.also @unt Bessie fanny clay 😂
As always, everything is a bit half asked with our Katie

@unt Bessie She could invite a mental health professional to do a Q&A either on YT or IGTV but I suppose it's too much effort. But then if you are so passionate on the topic, you should try and produce the best content imaginable

I am LOLing very hard at fanny clay too 😊

Last edited:
I cook everything from scratch. I don't understand people who only eat ready made meals, I find it bizarre.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I understand some convenience food, some people are time limited, not great at cooking or just aren't that bothered about it. It's nice to have some stuff in the freezer that you can just throw in the oven and be done. But my absolute pet peeve (and this goes for Zoella as well) is ready made MASH! ARRGH!! It is the easiest thing to make, I just don't understand how anyone would want the packaged stuff that is basically upmarket smash, and when I think about all that plastic packaging...

• Heart
Reactions: 11
If g teally wanted to he would do the diet alongside her for support and encouragement. It's what three months? That is what I'd hope my fiance would do anyway.

G seems pretty rigid in his views on food, so much meat, cheese, various wines, breads and ready meals since they moved in together. She's changed, it would seem he hasn't.

Have a word katie! Do you want a normal comfortable belly or an easy life without g grumbling.

I cook everything from scratch. I don't understand people who only eat ready made meals, I find it bizarre.
Habit. Cash rich, time poor. But often people feel they need to protect their time for internet / netflix / evenings out etc. She has a lovely kitchen, no housemates and could make it part of a video etc. 🤷‍♀️

The arse vase made me o_O:rolleyes: there not going to be heirloom pieces are they? I'm glad she made one rather than buying it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
As awful of those vases are, it is very much Katie, and I do think it was quite nice that she made it herself rather than the classic influencer move of buying (or being sent) one and then linking it to grab cash from all their followers before it never being seen again.

Reactions: 7
If g teally wanted to he would do the diet alongside her for support and encouragement. It's what three months? That is what I'd hope my fiance would do anyway.

G seems pretty rigid in his views on food, so much meat, cheese, various wines, breads and ready meals since they moved in together. She's changed, it would seem he hasn't.

Have a word katie! Do you want a normal comfortable belly or an easy life without g grumbling.

Habit. Cash rich, time poor. But often people feel they need to protect their time for internet / netflix / evenings out etc. She has a lovely kitchen, no housemates and could make it part of a video etc. 🤷‍♀️
In all fairness we don't know anything about G really. he might have his own food isues to deal with. The diet is very restrictive (if done right) I don't think it's fair to force a partner to go through that with you epsecially since it's about finding the cause of a health issue and not a diet recommended people folow for a long period of time.

I'm also really shocked when people eating lots of processed, pre-packaged meals especially influencers. a lot of these meals are so easy to cook from scratch (stir fry in particular!) Katie and G have a terrible diet, I'm not surprised she has so many issues with bloating. G is definitely obsessed with meat and cheese.......

My husband was exactly like G. He would live on meat, cheese and bread, with hardly any vegetables in sight, unless you count crisps.
Well, 7 years later and we are doing veganuary 😂 And we know eat more veggie and vegan than anything else. He still doesn’t eat fruit though 😂
I suspect that Katie was and is quite happy to eat all this stuff - it’s easier and tastier. It takes something like three weeks to retrain your taste buds, so of course all the meats are going to look better than a veggie burger🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Same! Absolutely love cooking and trying out recipes. Cooking relaxes me and popping something in the oven hasn't got the same effect. I wouldn't judge a busy mum, someone who works an essential job where 10-12 hour shifts are a norm or someone with a disability if they chose a ready made meal but someone who claims to be a foodie, who is able bodied and has time on their hands can and should make most (if not all) their meals from scratch.

(...) But my absolute pet peeve (and this goes for Zoella as well) is ready made MASH! ARRGH!! It is the easiest thing to make, I just don't understand how anyone would want the packaged stuff that is basically upmarket smash, and when I think about all that plastic packaging...
Every now and then Katie remembers that she should make sustainable changes, buys a water bottle or something, and forgets straight away. I would like to think she rinses the plastic packaging after ready made meals and puts in recycling bin but I am not sure if she does.
Once in blue moon, my partner and I get some curry dinner from M&S, typically 2 curries, 2 sides and some naan to share - the amount of packaging I have left after cooking it all makes me not want to get any Marks food for another six months. Then I forget, get more and the cycle starts again.

@snarkvark we don't know much about G but we do know that Katie, when living by herself and with girlfriends, made a conscious effort to eat lighter, more vegetarian meals, and when she did eat meat, she'd have a big salad or a nice serving of vegetables with it

@Swipeupyouguys & @snarkvark I think my partner would do something like this with me. Maybe not every single meal, we would probably have separate breakfast and lunch but would probable make a fodmap friendly dinner together to save money and time. As Swipeupyouguys said, only the first 3 months are very restrictive and 3 months really are not a long time. Rather than it being about K forcing G to do something, it would be more about G supporting K to improve her health and wellbeing

@Mrs McCarthy my partner is similar, he hasn't got as far as to do veganuary with me, but he's too lazy to cook separate dinner so if I make a salad, soup or veggie curry, he'll eat it too. Fair enough, sometimes he'll have a ham sandwich after, if he doesn't feel full but he doesn't have meat or fish or cheese for every single meal

Reactions: 4
@Swipeupyouguys & @snarkvark I think my partner would do something like this with me. Maybe not every single meal, we would probably have separate breakfast and lunch but would probable make a fodmap friendly dinner together to save money and time. As Swipeupyouguys said, only the first 3 months are very restrictive and 3 months really are not a long time. Rather than it being about K forcing G to do something, it would be more about G supporting K to improve her health and wellbeing
I disagree. 3 months is quite a long time! It's a quarter of the year! and if you have disordered eating (which G might) then that can be really difficult to handle. Why should G restrict his diet just to suit Katie who is the only one suffering health issuses. This isn't about eating healthier or making better choices, it's about trying to figure out what triggers her bloating - something I don't think G should have to participate in.

I do think they both could do with ditching the pre-made packaged foods and cooking from scratch more often. Katie used to do this before, like you pointed out, and it's obvious they've got stuck in poor habits. There's no need for them to be eating so much pre-made stuff.

@snarkvark I guess my perception of time has changed quite a bit recently (thanks, coronavirus, you witch!). If you think about it, here in UK we have been in and out of lockdowns for 10 months now, and 3 months really is nothing. But time is relative and I understand that for you 3 months is a long time.
We don't know anything about G's diet before Katie, if you are right and there is a history of previous disordered eating, they could still make some food they could both have and make something with more calories/carbs for G on top of that. I just feel like Katie is possibly the one making sacrifices, eating a diet that she wouldn't necessarily eat if it wasn't for G* so that's why I would like him to make some changes to support her for a while (provided that G himself is healthy and that the changes wouldn't trigger his ED or make his health deteriorate). In general, and it's quite sad, I think Katie is someone who is likely to change when she gets a new boyfriend and that's not great.

*Unless when she was eating a healthier diet with more vegetarian dishes, it was more for her videos or to please her vegan/vegetarian housemates, which is probably not a great reason and she wasn't true to herself back then either. Who knows!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.