Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tothemoonandback

If you don't think the UK has a race problem then look at the salaries of black people vs white in this country. Look at the prison sentences of black people vs white for the same crime. Look at the death in childbirth statistics of black women vs white women. Look at the stop and search statistics on black people vs white people. The UK has a race problem.

Reactions: 21

fred1998

Thread suggestion: Katie Ellison, content so plain no one even suggested a name

😂 😂

I don’t really understand what Katie’s USP is anymore. She cycles through mum content, travel, fashion, renovation, interiors and fitness but never really seems to stick at anything. I guess she’s just showcasing her lifestyle now 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16

GhostHoward

VIP Member
i'm howling at her mistakes they made video!

the stair bannisters!! jesus....it was all for the gram wasn't it....and now lookouts all falling apart already, not so instagramable now is it Katie!!? right down to the tile grout!
But at least she's admitting the mistakes and not trying to gloss over them, pretending everything is perfect like some would *cough*...meldrums...*cough*

Reactions: 16

Lucyinthesky88

VIP Member
So much of the space they have they clearly don’t need as it’s full of pointless crap that’s literally there to look good. Even the playroom and kitchen have shelves full of trinkets and plants 🙄 in my house the kitchen is full of pans, cookery books, herbs and spices, cereal boxes, recycling, empty milk bottles waiting for the milkman and shitloads of laundry. Ain’t got no places for plants and tiny fucking Christmas trees 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 15

TheGreatestShowman

Chatty Member
I think that to recognise “White privilege “ is part of the journey to being anti racist.
It is statistically proven that UK brands use white people more than black people to advertise their brands. Going forward, all of these Instagrammers who were happy to post black squares on their grid and screen shot books about diversity and quotes about being anti racist , when they are approached by a brand , they should be asking the brand how many woman/men of colour they are also working with.
It’s not ok to just accept that as a white person , you have certain deep rooted privileges.

Clare

VIP Member
I just find it really odd how often the buy all brand new stuff. For instance when the kitchen was done, they then bought brand new cutlery, crockery the lot. There's never hand me down clothes. When they moved to this house, every single piece of old furniture was done away with, all brand new furniture bought. It's so wasteful and greedy and just not what regular people do
This for me is what makes her unrelatable - her house is soulless, it is decorated to fit an insta aesthetic and doesn’t show her personality at all. In the kitchen, she bought trinkets to stage the shelves which had no personal significance to her, instead of using nice things she’d collected over the years.

• Heart

Lexi_58836

Poor Jon the way Katie is just continually flouting the fact he’s “suffering with alopecia” in all her comments. She clearly does only show the polished side of life on her instagram (even though she claims otherwise).... alopecia is a known side effect of stress, god only knows what she’s putting poor jonjon through behind closed doors to lead the poor man to loose his hair!!!!! Not the sweetness and light she portrays.

On a separate note... agree with all these comments about how vain she is, for some e who claims she’s so shy and unconfindent etc. Could she have anymore photos of herself on her instagram recently?!?!?! Vile
I don’t think it’s fair to blame Katie for the cause of Jon’s hair loss. He could’ve had no work due to working for an American company, he could’ve found it hard homeschooling kids or missing his exercise with his pals or missed his northern family. There’s a number of reasons and it’s really unfair to blame Katie. I’m sure if Jon didn’t want his picture posted he would say.

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
I generally think her kids are mostly well brought up and quite grounded, one thing that does irratate me is the way she allows maddie to be a bit controlling at times, like allowing her to help the younger two open their presents and the way she’s always snatching the Christmas advent message, just little things like that, they need to try and stop that otherwise she’s going to end up extremely bossy when she’s older. I get that eldest children generally are bossy and a bit controlling, but I do think there’s way to help it.

i remember my older half sister used to “help” me open my presents when I could do it myself, still makes me want to punch her in the face...

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
I think the reason that she isn't "bigger" and more successful (because her camera and editing skills are amazing) is because she is so twee. Watching her day in the life videos is more like watching a cheesy advert for a holiday home or something. Arty shots of breakfast whilst music is playing. Kids and house perfect, she doesn't say anything interesting. She is very boring to watch imo.

TheGreatestShowman

Chatty Member
The UK doesn't have a huge race problem like the USA. Our media is not racist, it doesn't pit black against white. The UK as a whole is a multicultural place. Lets not try and pretend the UK is America and bring problems over here that for the majority don't exist. The Rochdale grooming gang was left alone by the police for fear of being racist, that is the UK. There is no need to slag Katie off for being white, or to call anyone because of their colour. Can't people see that doing that is hypocritical. Where are the other races mentioned, why are only white people privileged and racist? Its simply not true. I would also like to add that 4 in 100 white people are unarmed that are killed by the police in USA compared to 3 in 100 black people who are unarmed. Some police are power mad scum. I would advise people to do their own research on this movement, move away from Instagram black squares and hashtags and do your own research. Actually think what you are saying. If you all think insulting white people is going to sit well for long then you are in for a shock. It is going to cause a lot of trouble and will backfire. I am NOT racist, to ANY colour. Think up a new marketing strategy and less racist slogans please. It is not right to be a causal racist on this thread or anywhere.
I respect that everyone has different opinions. I respectfully disagree that the UK has a problem with racism.

Agreed, my daughter is a little older then Katie's son and would not have asked for time with the family, as a gift. I just don't think those thoughts occur to ones that young. She would most definitely ask for her favourite games to be played so I believe that at least!

I don't have a problem with the neighbours coming and clapping/cheering/singing for a four year old. It's a nice way to express affection in these isolated times and I don't think it cheapens the NHS clap.
I just hate the way she has to pretend it's all spontaneous and wasn't planned. Another poster hit the nail on the head, it's the presentation of this sweet twee life that is so obviously artificial.

I respect her decision not to show the shit bits of life. I think she's right not to show the kids misbehaving (in fact I think she and all influencers should take it a step further and not show them at all or not as a content mainstay). I don't why she has to go in the opposite direction, and sugar coat the mundane.
On reflection I think you could be right about it being nice that the neighbours came out to wish Wren a happy birthday and I also think you're right that showing affection at this time is nice to do. The neighbours may have thought to do this 'gesture' themselves but I honestly don't really believe that. I think they may have done had they had children of a similar age to Katie's children or otherwise been close to the family but from what Katie has said herself this appears not to be the case. Maybe lockdown has changed that but I doubt it? Actually, it's my opinion, she just wants to portray the perfect ideal. She isn't alone in this as far as mummy vloggers are concerned though - her portrayal is just more sugary sweet than most.

In general terms I find mummy vloggers an irritating group. I dislike how they portray life in the way they do. I feel many of these vloggers have come to really believe their own rhetoric and because people watch, comment positively, like & subscribe really do believe (in spite of insincere self protests) that as mothers they are somehow getting it so right they can share it with the rest of the world. They have nice homes because they have hit on a way of earning money and being the recipients of many gifted items. You hear them say it isn't easy to be a youtuber/IGer. I'm afraid I don't believe that. I think it is an easier way to earn money and an easier life style choice. I don't believe they would chuck in other careers or do it if it weren't an easier and more lucrative option. Why would they?

I think portraying life as perfect can be very damaging to others. I think people make negative comparisons that leave them feeling they aren't quite matching up, aren't getting it quite as right or don't some how quite hit the mark etc. I think a few minutes of carefully edited video which is shot in a pre-prepared clean and tidy home and showing life as you want to depict it and not as it really is gives a very false impression. Noone can match a reality that isn't actually reality.

I personally think these vlogger families compromise and risk an awful lot in order to give the impression of having it all. I think they comprimise their child's privacy. I think they risk their safety. I don't think we know yet what the long term psychological damage being 'shared' with the world will have on these children but I suspect it may cause future MH problems. In my opinion it is absolutely wrong to share children's lives with people you don't know. By all means use social media to share your children with friends & family but why would you want to do that with the world in general? These mothers and fathers are selling their children's privacy, possibly dignity and risking their safety for what? Money, life style, free stuff, a large home? No, that's not for me. I think there is a human cost to mummy vlogging and that human cost is their very own children. It's just not worth it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

mechanicmum

I just find it really odd how often the buy all brand new stuff. For instance when the kitchen was done, they then bought brand new cutlery, crockery the lot. There's never hand me down clothes. When they moved to this house, every single piece of old furniture was done away with, all brand new furniture bought. It's so wasteful and greedy and just not what regular people do

• Wow
The thought of handing over 30+ hours of footage of my family on holiday to some 'company' for money gives me the ick.

Would sell her own grandmother, that woman.

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Reading this thread you'd think anyone with a dog is never allowed to go on holiday 😂
I have a dog who is basically my child and I go away regularly. I don't 'palm' her off on my parents, she loves it with them,like she does when they have her 3 days a week when I'm at work. Yep, terrible dog owner me.

Lucyinthesky88

VIP Member
Why have they blocked the boiler in like that, there is no room if they need to have it serviced etc.
her kitchen organisation is strange there is like 3 items in each draw 🙄everything out in Ikea storage boxes. Waste of money
“Here’s our four metal straws because we are doing our bit for the environment... and here are all our herbs and spices, which we have taken out of their original, perfectly good, packaging and put in other plastic pots 👍🏻

Does anyone else get absolutely enraged that she continually says “we have got” instead of just “we have”???

• Heart

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
Of course perfect Katie would have the perfect neighbours 🙄 the whole street apparently came and clapped for Wren on his perfect birthday (and dropped presents and cupcakes). Of course he didn't want anything besides time with his family, pancakes and clapping for the nhs for his 4th birthday. She either lies and portrays an absolutely perfect life or she is incredibly lucky to have nothing but bubblegum and fairies surrounding her.

• Haha

Clare

VIP Member
This is one influencer that really makes me feel shit about myself. Esp the way she is suddenly in another country, the way she does that just makes me feel like my life is shit, idk how to explain why but I cant even follow her.
I know what you mean, I unfollowed a long time ago because she was one of the first influencers to make me feel really shit. I think it’s because she plays the simple life, girl-next-door then pops out a 3 week international holiday or new bathroom from seemingly nowhere and you begin to realise actually this woman is not like me at all and you feel duped by the act 🤷🏻‍♀️

Lucyinthesky88

VIP Member
I was planning our Christmas dinner cooking last night and thinking how much bloody easier it would be with a double oven. Yet Katie has all the gear and it barely gets used. Not really fair (but then is life?).

It does get to me during these busy pre-Christmas days when I’m up to my neck in de-cluttering, cleaning, planning etc and my kids are constantly arguing and she’s posting that they’ve had yet another lovely day, they’ve walked four miles with a dog, no less, they’re off home now (to their immaculate house) to watch a film having spent the whole of advent doing lovely things together and she’s even found the time to do all of her work, volunteer at the food bank and help out at the girls school. Ugh.

• Sad
Reactions: 12