Kate Lawler

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Surely the camera crew in her house were not covid compliant. No social distancing, she should be a bit more careful considering she's been in contact with someone who tested positive and was isolating. Even if she doesn't have it she could be passing the virus on to others or them to her. Government advice is to act as if you have covid so having people walking closely around you in your home seems risky, especially in the third trimester.

Reactions: 6
I do like her, but I have to admit I did think it was unnecessary to have camera crew there and it definitely wasn't 10 days of isolating..not sure if there's other amounts of time suggested? Only other thing is I think sometimes the handsome would like her to put the phone away out of his face? That said I enjoy her stories

Reactions: 4
I am not sure how it works in UK but she mentioned NHS. But also that she has a consultant so I was not sure if at means private or on the NHS.
I think it is a bit off to demand a C Section & get the NHS to pay. She can surely afford to go private. The NHS is on it's knees!

Reactions: 5
I think it is a bit off to demand a C Section & get the NHS to pay. She can surely afford to go private. The NHS is on it's knees!
I agree 100% esp with whats going on at the moment. I think she may have mentioned it on one of the podcasts. I think maybe the one with the newsreader/ presenter on it.

Reactions: 1
She is going via the nhs. I don't get why so many women have a fear of giving birth when they've never done it. It can be a very powerful and empowering experience that shouldn't be easily dismissed in favour of major surgery.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
She is going via the nhs. I don't get why so many women have a fear of giving birth when they've never done it. It can be a very powerful and empowering experience that shouldn't be easily dismissed in favour of major surgery.
I get what you're saying, but I'm 100% sure I'd never want to do it! I'm with Kate on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Fears should definitely not be dismissed, but they should be addressed as a lot of the time fear of something you've not experienced are not based in reality and can be irrational. I can't believe women would CHOOSE to have major surgery during a pandemic, when nhs staff are on their knees and in short supply, when you could turn up for your op and be postponed due to an emergency in the hospital. To be operated on in an environment where everyone is at risk of catching a deadly virus. My trust simply cannot cope with the demand for c sections and is only considering them if there is exceptional medical need. Due to covid most of our operating theatres/ surgeons/ anaesthetists are engaged with covid related issues and so many staff are off sick.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I had a fear of giving birth and then went on to have a pretty traumatic birth. I was told that next time round I'd be offered a c section if I wanted it but I'm still not sure I could actually go ahead with it unnecessarily. It's major surgery and the recovery can be worse than a natural birth but also I'm so glad I had the experience despite still fearing it.

Also to echo what others have said, I think her issues should try to be addressed first before going ahead with a c section.

Reactions: 8
What if she went into labour now? While a film crew were in her house, not practicing social distancing and all at risk of getting infected with Covid. A) It is v risky and b) she could be putting theatre staff at risk. Just cause she has her section booked doesn't mean she won't start herself. V irresponsible! Getting the ick big time and hardly watching her stories lately.

Reactions: 2
You don’t have any phobias, I guess? It’s an irrational fear of something.

“A phobia is an overwhelming and debilitating fear of an object, place, situation, feeling or animal. Phobias are more pronounced than fears. They develop when a person has an exaggerated or unrealistic sense of danger about a situation or object.”

Are people thinking that she thought hmmmm I just don’t fancy squeezing a child out of my fanny, y’know. But I would LOVE major surgery!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
But she did just decide to have a c section, she did hypnobirthing for the surgery and not to help her overcome a fear of giving birth. In posters defence, she did kinda say it was an aversion more than an all consuming fear. Consultant advised she could have section due to her age. And Kate was like "Great yeah lets do it" She hoped the low lying placenta would lead to section but it moved.

I have a serious phobia of hospitals. To the point where as a teen my Dad was in hospital having surgery and I ran away for a week to not have to visit him..

So fast forward 16 years to when I decided to have a family. I told my midwife and GP my anxiety causing, gut wrenching fears and they brought me in to view the delivery suite, waiting rooms, the wards etc. Gave me councelling and I got hypnotherapy. It did help me work on my fears but it was not an easy thing to do when pregnant. I even considered a home birth but I left it too late.

I was so bad I did not plan on going into hospital for checks/scans/tests that could not be performed by my Doctor, that is how bad my fear was/is. But you can work on fears if you really want to.

• Heart
But she did just decide to have a c section, she did hypnobirthing for the surgery and not to help her overcome a fear of giving birth. In posters defence, she did kinda say it was an aversion more than an all consuming fear. Consultant advised she could have section due to her age. And Kate was like "Great yeah lets do it" She hoped the low lying placenta would lead to section but it moved.

I have a serious phobia of hospitals. To the point where as a teen my Dad was in hospital having surgery and I ran away for a week to not have to visit him..

So fast forward 16 years to when I decided to have a family. I told my midwife and GP my anxiety causing, gut wrenching fears and they brought me in to view the delivery suite, waiting rooms, the wards etc. Gave me councelling and I got hypnotherapy. It did help me work on my fears but it was not an easy thing to do when pregnant. I even considered a home birth but I left it too late.

I was so bad I did not plan on going into hospital for checks/scans/tests that could not be performed by my Doctor, that is how bad my fear was/is. But you can work on fears if you really want to.
I’m glad your experience was positive.

We’re in a pandemic. She never thought she wanted children. She’s classed as an older mother (no idea of the correct term). She has a phobia. I cannot imagine for one second that every option available has not been discussed. I also cannot imagine that the care she has received so far has been anything other than amazing. I can’t imagine anyone has taken this decision lightly.

What has worked for you may not work for someone else. That’s why we’re all so lucky to have a wide variety of options available to us in life.

I feel like this is similar to telling someone depressed to cheer up. Or telling them to go for a run because exercise fixes it because it did for me/Julie up the road.

Apologies if I’m coming across like a proper bleep. This pandemic and the conspiracy theories that I see people following has me raging 24/7 and I should probably delete my account 😂 I’m not saying there are any here! Or even anything like that on here. I just have no patience for ANYTHING as a result.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I did hypnobirthing classes and they actually told us that it was a great tool for managing anxiety through a csection so it isn’t a total waste of time.
I had an unmedicated home birth because I am terrified of hospitals and I knew that if I went in I would completely panic and lose my tit and then baby would freak as well.
I also want to say that although in birthing terms I had the most wonderful perfect birth, I also developed severe PND and I’m only just getting over the after effects of that and my daughter is 3 so it definitely doesn’t make you immune !!

• Heart
I’m glad your experience was positive.

We’re in a pandemic. She never thought she wanted children. She’s classed as an older mother (no idea of the correct term). She has a phobia. I cannot imagine for one second that every option available has not been discussed. I also cannot imagine that the care she has received so far has been anything other than amazing. I can’t imagine anyone has taken this decision lightly.

What has worked for you may not work for someone else. That’s why we’re all so lucky to have a wide variety of options available to us in life.

I feel like this is similar to telling someone depressed to cheer up. Or telling them to go for a run because exercise fixes it because it did for me/Julie up the road.

Apologies if I’m coming across like a proper bleep. This pandemic and the conspiracy theories that I see people following has me raging 24/7 and I should probably delete my account 😂 I’m not saying there are any here! Or even anything like that on here. I just have no patience for ANYTHING as a result.
I totally get what you are saying. I am v guilty of judging others by my standards. I am also v sick of covid conspiracy nut cases. I have removed so many from my life these last 10 months, if I read even one slightly anti vaxx statement, chopped!!

I do sincerely hope she recovers well from her surgery. I had one section and it was hell to recover from, vaginal birth was a lot better. Thankfully have 2 kids who left the hospital healthy. But I basically have a busted abdomen and busted fanny now 🤣

I did hypnobirthing classes and they actually told us that it was a great tool for managing anxiety through a csection so it isn’t a total waste of time.
I had an unmedicated home birth because I am terrified of hospitals and I knew that if I went in I would completely panic and lose my tit and then baby would freak as well.
I also want to say that although in birthing terms I had the most wonderful perfect birth, I also developed severe PND and I’m only just getting over the after effects of that and my daughter is 3 so it definitely doesn’t make you immune !!
I am glad you are getting over PND now and the hynoborthing worked for you. I had PND too after my first. If it gives you any comfort, I didn't have it after my second which surprised me. I fully expected it to happen again. Well, so far so good!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.