Kate La Vie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Kate's new bathroom on the Daily Mail today. She's definitely keen to set herself up as an interiors expert!

I also want to add to this because it's been bothering me... It's frustrating that Kate is lauded on other threads as being more real and relatable than other influencers, but it's all for show. The blasé way she's been talking about buying this new flat, intending it to be a reno/landlord project, and then equally casually mentioning about how it's just been left empty for almost a year with no work going on (how many of us could afford two mortgages?!). To top it off she's just mentioned in a new blog post that they don't intend to stay in this new flat for longer than a year anyway, because they want a house. Who can afford to do such major works to a place for a temporary measure?! It's so unrelatable. I get that it's like her portfolio to pretend to be an interior designer now but who casually has that kind of money readily available?! I guess it helps when you get so much for free (tiles and fittings and all the rest of it) but it really shows how detached she is from the real world now.
That’s insane about it being vacant for a year! I’d assumed Glasgow prices must be cheap for them to afford 2 mortgages given she’s a blogger and Jordan looks after their coffee shop that they’re trying to sell?

Glasgow flats, especially in that area, are pretty cheap compared to other cities, but a three bed flat will still have cost around 150-170,000 I would say (familiar with the area, family not too far away!), maybe less given it needed renovation. She doesn't live in the super trendy and expensive part of the Southside, you can get property for a good price around where she is, but you do have a football stadium right on your doorstep! But it's still a good price for someone buying one, it just becomes unrelatable when someone comes along and buys two, keeping on empty for a year! I think it's more to do with her own money than an inheritance kind of thing. She must earn very well!

Reactions: 5
I feel like she just buys these flats and renovates them because she has nothing else going on in her life. She seems quite materialistic and almost as though her life is quite vapid.

She's quite sarcastic and self-deprecating and I liked that about her, but I think she's quite shallow.

Reactions: 6
The thing that bothered me was how she just bought the flat like it was no big deal. Even if it was only 100K that is still a 100K! Jordan hadn't even seen it or anything (now it could be her own money) but wouldn't you still want your husband to look at it before buying it?

What did you do this afternoon Kate? Oh nothing, just bought another flat. :oops:

Reactions: 7
I feel like she just buys these flats and renovates them because she has nothing else going on in her life. She seems quite materialistic and almost as though her life is quite vapid.

She's quite sarcastic and self-deprecating and I liked that about her, but I think she's quite shallow.
But.. buying flats and renovating them IS a thing people do? Like for a living. Maybe that’s what she wants to do? can hardly berate her for flipping properties when it’s an actual thing 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 17
I'd love to know what part of the southside her new flat is in. A 3 bed around here can be up to £300k and half the price a few streets down.
She is one of the few big accounts I still follow too. I've been watching with interest as I want to put a shower at the window too in my flat but its hard to see past all the pink and plants.
I genuinely think I'd be shocked to the core if I knew how much some influences earned although I do think kate comes from money.

Reactions: 1
I agree that being a property flipper is of course a job, I think the thing that makes it difficult is that she hasn't actually flipped anything in this case. It's difficult when she is lauded as being real and relatable, when in actuality she could afford to buy a second flat and leave it empty for a year, pay for a huge amount of renovation and now move in and leave the other one empty, then immediately start talking about upgrading to a house. That's not relatable at all, it's actually quite scary that someone who doesn't do very much at all for a living can afford to have two very beautifully and expensively decorated homes to pick between. Many landlords/flippers etc would never be able to do that on their first go, they have to get the property flipped and sold/rented ASAP because they can't afford to do anything otherwise. It seems like it's a very expensive way of her building a portfolio as an interior designer more than anything else.

The thing that bothered me was how she just bought the flat like it was no big deal. Even if it was only 100K that is still a 100K! Jordan hadn't even seen it or anything (now it could be her own money) but wouldn't you still want your husband to look at it before buying it?

What did you do this afternoon Kate? Oh nothing, just bought another flat. :oops:
This, absolutely!

I'd love to know what part of the southside her new flat is in. A 3 bed around here can be up to £300k and half the price a few streets down.
She is one of the few big accounts I still follow too. I've been watching with interest as I want to put a shower at the window too in my flat but its hard to see past all the pink and plants.
I genuinely think I'd be shocked to the core if I knew how much some influences earned although I do think kate comes from money.
I'm pretty sure she's still in Cathcart/Mount Florida? I think she does too, I remember way back in gh0stparties days, she posted a pic of the family home and it was huge. Didn't her parents sell it to buy a yacht? That doesn't seem like something a regular income family would do, unless I'm missing a trick 🙈

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I definitely seen her once in Mount florida, I just wondered if her new flat was there. There's definitely a disparity in prices in southside. Although I agree paying two mortgages is out of reach for most people she could have it on an interest only though. There's always ways to do things without forking out the maximum amount.

Although I'm sure she loves her decor and I do like it too. I'd never do anything remotely like it myself. All those open shelving, constantly dusting it would be annoying. The same colours throughout. The random pictures in frames. Nothing feels personal or things they've acquired over time. Plus its easy to have ornaments and furniture go together when its all from the same places. Its lovely to look at but a true interior designer could make random or unusual pieces and colours go together.

Reactions: 5
I'm sure her flat is in MoFlo, did she not say it was near her last flat? Tbh I love her decor and wish my husband would let me do our flat the same way. We've got a tenement in the southside (albeit a lot smaller) and I like her style, just not my budget lol

She definitely comes from money and has help from her parents to purchase properties. From what she has shared over the years since gh0stparties, her brother lives in the flat next door to her last place. I'm sure that is no coincidence. Her parents sold up and left but set them up with places to live independently.

Reactions: 9
I haven't been following her for very long, can someone give me a bit of a background please. Is she from New Zealand or is she Scottish and her parents moved there? Where did she grow up? I didn't realise she came from a wealthy background.

She is from New Zealand, all her family is still there apart from her brother who is in Scotland. Her mum passed away last year I believe?
That’s all I know.

Her family lived in Australia as well before they moved to Scotland. I think it was Aberdeen they lived. I’m sure she said she moved to Glasgow once her parents left to go back to New Zealand.

She is definitely from money. Her parents sold their house to sail around the world. Not your average family!

There was a period a few years ago when she wasn’t doing much online in the way of working with brands etc and it was hard to see how she was actually making any money. There’s no way she has bought and renovated 2 flats purely on her own merit 🙄

I’ve followed her for about 10 years and it’s interesting seeing her career evolve. I get what she’s trying to do but her interior style is not for me - all that clutter would do my head in. It’s all just so trendy and none of it feels authentic.

Reactions: 6
She is definitely from money. Her parents sold their house to sail around the world. Not your average family!

There was a period a few years ago when she wasn’t doing much online in the way of working with brands etc and it was hard to see how she was actually making any money. There’s no way she has bought and renovated 2 flats purely on her own merit 🙄

I’ve followed her for about 10 years and it’s interesting seeing her career evolve. I get what she’s trying to do but her interior style is not for me - all that clutter would do my head in. It’s all just so trendy and none of it feels authentic.
Oh that's right, I forgot the parents sailed off round the world! I wonder what her parents did for a job? Is Jordan still in the band does anyone know?

So glad I came across this thread! I thought both of her flats were in the West end of Glasgow and I was in shock how they could afford both!!! I was thinking each of hers must be circa £250-350k... Makes sense now that it’s in the Southside as a bit more affordable?

Perhaps her SHOTY wage was put towards the new flat?

But.. buying flats and renovating them IS a thing people do? Like for a living. Maybe that’s what she wants to do? can hardly berate her for flipping properties when it’s an actual thing 🤷🏻‍♀️
Maybe, but I don't see her aiming to make a living out of it. I feel like she does it more because she wants to be surrounded by pretty things and then gets bored.

Reactions: 2
I feel like it’s just a bit samey? It’s that standard Instagram way of decorating, with a lot of clutter and tit around. It’s not groundbreaking.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.