Jojo Siwa

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't think it's sensible for Jojo Siwa to be getting such awards. She's only 17, has only been out for 2 months, and has only been with her best friend for 1 month. This is too new for it to be a defining characteristic for her. I worry that if she ends up straight in the future, she will feel pressurised to keep presenting as LGBT. Or, whether or not things change for her, she might feel pressurised to being a role model. Also, she is so young that she might not be prepared for anything negative that comes with publicly identifying as LGBT. I just don't think this is a good idea.

(Just for context, this comment of mine has been moved here from another thread. The context is that Jojo is up for a Diva award, which are awards given out to LGBT women, by Diva magazine, which is for LGBT women.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
Well I don't think its an award that sets the world on fire to be honest...
But we've never really honoured an openly out female child star while they're still young.
You shouldn't have to be a 'long qualified' lesbian to qualify for an award for gay women.

Jojo has been very open about her choice to come out, and therefore is defacto a rolemodel for some.

All we can do is support others choice and allow them their right to a private life.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
She is being nominated for the Influencer category. I think it’s a great thing, as younger generations are far more open and accepting.

I don’t believe she is too young. I was 17 when I met my partner, of whom I’m still with 11 years later and should’ve been married last year.
If you’d seen of her in the past few years, you would see there has long been speculation she is from the LGBT community.
She wouldn’t of just come out two months ago without having known or understood her sexuality for some time. Also, you don’t ‘end up’ straight or LGBT, yes it can be fluid and maybe feelings and understandings change over time, but it’s not something that just happens.

Reactions: 11
She is being nominated for the Influencer category. I think it’s a great thing, as younger generations are far more open and accepting.

I don’t believe she is too young. I was 17 when I met my partner, of whom I’m still with 11 years later and should’ve been married last year.
If you’d seen of her in the past few years, you would see there has long been speculation she is from the LGBT community.
She wouldn’t of just come out two months ago without having known or understood her sexuality for some time. Also, you don’t ‘end up’ straight or LGBT, yes it can be fluid and maybe feelings and understandings change over time, but it’s not something that just happens.
I'm a 35 year old bisexual man, I've known I fancy both men and women since I was about 9 or 10 and I came out at 13, but I wouldn't say that I really properly "understood" it until maybe a couple of years ago. Maybe I still don't. Sexuality is strange.

Reactions: 8

I disagree, was bisexual until I was 21, with a preference for women between when I was aged 15-18, then I simply ended up fully straight. It's not that unusual. If I had been a famous person at 17, publicly identifying as bisexual, being deemed a role model, receiving awards for being LGBT, then ending up straight - imagine the hate someone like me would have got.

She has said she doesn't want to give a label for her sexuality. It is not just her age as a number, but she doesn't seem particularly mature for her age, and also is clearly not that experienced judging by her own descriptions of her relationships.

She's only 17, so she may well have rashly come out without understanding her own feelings. Teens are not known for their rationality. Alternatively, everything you're saying may be correct. We don't know because we don't know her. I don't think she should be pressurised to committing to this by the media. She doesn't come across as someone who has known their sexuality since a young age.

Reactions: 1
Either way, it would’ve taken a lot for her to come out publicly, especially as her target audience is younger children, for which she has already received a lot of backlash, it’s not something that would’ve been rashly decided. She isn’t just any normal teenager out of the limelight, she’ll have management teams etc overseeing everything she puts out to the public.

Fair enough if you was bisexual at a young age, generally that is the ages people experiment with their sexuality and don’t tend to put labels on it.
As you said, we don’t know her, so for now we won’t know if she understood her sexuality from a young age, as her public persona may be very different to that in private.

Reactions: 4
I disagree, was bisexual until I was 21, with a preference for women between when I was aged 15-18, then I simply ended up fully straight. It's not that unusual. If I had been a famous person at 17, publicly identifying as bisexual, being deemed a role model, receiving awards for being LGBT, then ending up straight - imagine the hate someone like me would have got.

She has said she doesn't want to give a label for her sexuality. It is not just her age as a number, but she doesn't seem particularly mature for her age, and also is clearly not that experienced judging by her own descriptions of her relationships.

She's only 17, so she may well have rashly come out without understanding her own feelings. Teens are not known for their rationality. Alternatively, everything you're saying may be correct. We don't know because we don't know her. I don't think she should be pressurised to committing to this by the media. She doesn't come across as someone who has known their sexuality since a young age.
I think labelling her an 'influencer' is probably very dangerous for those who really haven't decided. I think you make a great point too.

I don't know much about Jojo or this award but despite the backlash I think it's good for younger people to have queer role models especially as it's usually seen as inappropriate for them to learn about or equated with sex. I wish her well.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Nickelodeon tot he awards not inviting her is very wrong imo. Remember when they made Jamie Lynn disappear after her teen pregnancy

Reactions: 4
I'm really confused what is going on with her and her family. They all basically stopped filming and deleted a bunch of videos. Are they just taking Jojo's money or did Jesselyn and Jayden get jobs?

Also, I really hate Jojo's new hair. It doesn't suit here face at all. Still better than a side ponytail but ugh.

The blind was spot on. She wasn't getting work because of her rubbish hairdo so she's now changed it.

She now is promoting a kids band that het and her mom have created. Feels wrong to me that a girl that had talked about losing hair from stress is now putting other kids in the bizz. Its a way to make money for her and to leave the glitter behind.

• Sad
Reactions: 2