Joe Sugg - ThatcherJoe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thought I'd make the thread name rhyme and to the point.

Still can't believe it's happening ?

Reactions: 2
Yes! We needed a thread on this.

I think he's going to be quite good, he will have had loads of advanced notice and as he doesn't have a real job he could have been spending hours a day rehearsing with a pro.

I wonder what his end game is, maybe he's doing thing to try to become a children's tv presenter?

Reactions: 1
I really have a soft spot for Joe. He seems like a decent person, and although I know not all is what it seems in YT World, he does seem like “one of the good ones.” Perhaps immature at times (typical for his age), but someone on the up-and-up in life.

Anyway, I think he’ll do well. I’ll have to try to catch his season on YT or somewhere.

Reactions: 7
I'm actually really quite excited for this and I can't stand SCD. I wonder if he'll fall victim to the Strictly spell and fall for whoever his dance partner is?

Reactions: 3
I really have a soft spot for Joe. He seems like a decent person, and although I know not all is what it seems in YT World, he does seem like “one of the good ones.” Perhaps immature at times (typical for his age), but someone on the up-and-up in life.

Anyway, I think he’ll do well. I’ll have to try to catch his season on YT or somewhere.
I sometimes think Joe is a good one but then again he's guilty of ghostwritten books, ripping off fans (cheap pollyester hoodies and 6.99 for a few stickers). He seems aware of the con that it all is where as I think Zoella genuinely beleives herself when she says the advent calendar is good and she's proud of it. He's corrected her saying the YouTube ages are fake and most fans are young and she's just ignored him and reiterated that her fans are 80% over 18.

Joe hasnt had nearly as many opportunities just because beauty is so much more lucrative than comedy.

Not really sure what I'm getting to other than maybe he is just the best of a bad bunch.

I don't like strictly, but will pay attention as it might bring the whole show into question if he's crap but gets to the end. Could be interesting:whistle:

Reactions: 4
Angelika Oles briefly talked about this in her new vid and I thought her take was interesting. Jack Maynard already tried to go mainstream with I'm a celeb, but then his old tweets surfaced/it blew up in his face and he didn't succeed. She thinks that the same thing could happen to Joe. I guess even with going on a show like this, its harder to be taken seriously by mainstream media, so it might not give him more opportunities.

Angelika Oles briefly talked about this in her new vid and I thought her take was interesting. Jack Maynard already tried to go mainstream with I'm a celeb, but then his old tweets surfaced/it blew up in his face and he didn't succeed. She thinks that the same thing could happen to Joe. I guess even with going on a show like this, its harder to be taken seriously by mainstream media, so it might not give him more opportunities.
I think Joe will have cleaned everything up last year when Zoe's homophobic and nasty tweets were deleted. I expect any bad yet footage has been got rid of even if others uploaded it.

A bit ot but was speaking to someone with a very small following (well less than 100k) who joined gleam this year. Even for her they did a full audit to get rid of anything troublesome. Obviously learnt their lesson after not doing due diligence on their biggest "tallent".

I sometimes think Joe is a good one but then again he's guilty of ghostwritten books, ripping off fans (cheap pollyester hoodies and 6.99 for a few stickers). He seems aware of the con that it all is where as I think Zoella genuinely beleives herself when she says the advent calendar is good and she's proud of it. He's corrected her saying the YouTube ages are fake and most fans are young and she's just ignored him and reiterated that her fans are 80% over 18.

Joe hasnt had nearly as many opportunities just because beauty is so much more lucrative than comedy.

Not really sure what I'm getting to other than maybe he is just the best of a bad bunch.

I don't like strictly, but will pay attention as it might bring the whole show into question if he's crap but gets to the end. Could be interesting:whistle:
I might be being naive but I genuinely don't think Joe has a malicious bone in his body. I think the ghostwriting, the cheaply made products sold for high prices, etc., is all just him going with the flow. He seems like an extremely laid back type of person, I think he's going through the motions of what being a YouTuber typically means and not questioning it. Sure, I'd love to see him take more responsibility and nurture his own image a bit more, but I don't think he's intentionally ripping anyone off or trying to milk a cash cow. I also think that once you're THAT rich, you're likely so out of touch with the realities of money that £6 for some stickers doesn't seem that bad.

Again, could just be me being naive and I'm not trying to excuse any of his behaviour, but I don't think he's intentionally trying to harm anyone. I can't actually see him being any good at ballroom dancing (or any type of dancing tbh) so if he does get far it'll definitely stir things up a bit.

Reactions: 7
I might be being naive but I genuinely don't think Joe has a malicious bone in his body. I think the ghostwriting, the cheaply made products sold for high prices, etc., is all just him going with the flow. He seems like an extremely laid back type of person, I think he's going through the motions of what being a YouTuber typically means and not questioning it. Sure, I'd love to see him take more responsibility and nurture his own image a bit more, but I don't think he's intentionally ripping anyone off or trying to milk a cash cow. I also think that once you're THAT rich, you're likely so out of touch with the realities of money that £6 for some stickers doesn't seem that bad.

Again, could just be me being naive and I'm not trying to excuse any of his behaviour, but I don't think he's intentionally trying to harm anyone. I can't actually see him being any good at ballroom dancing (or any type of dancing tbh) so if he does get far it'll definitely stir things up a bit.
I don't think you're being niave, I'm probably just too disillusioned with all these YouTubers. I actually can't think of anything he's done that is harmful or malicious.

Can totally see why he would think the stickers are fine if he's been earning 20k a month all of his adult life. Then just going along with the ghostwritten books and merch just because everyone else (he knows) is.

High probability he's going to annoy lots of people if he's rubbish and keeps getting voted through. Although I don't know how it all works, but beleive audience vote is just one section of criteria to get through?

I love how Joe can have the luxury of doing shady tit and just be ~going with the flow, but everyone else is amoral and money hungry lmao

• Heart
I love how Joe can have the luxury of doing shady tit and just be ~going with the flow, but everyone else is amoral and money hungry lmao
What other shady stuff has he done? Only compare to zoella and Alfie does he look like a saint.

I don't think you're being niave, I'm probably just too disillusioned with all these YouTubers. I actually can't think of anything he's done that is harmful or malicious.

Can totally see why he would think the stickers are fine if he's been earning 20k a month all of his adult life. Then just going along with the ghostwritten books and merch just because everyone else (he knows) is.

High probability he's going to annoy lots of people if he's rubbish and keeps getting voted through. Although I don't know how it all works, but beleive audience vote is just one section of criteria to get through?
The website that outlines how the votes are worked out seems to say that it's a 50/50 split between judges scores and viewers votes, then the final two dance once more to save themselves with the judges ultimately deciding who is leaving. So unless his viewer votes are ridiculously high then there's every chance if he's that bad that he could go if the judges score him low enough.

I do think though that his personality is quite endearing and he'll manage to win people that don't know who he is over even if he is genuinely shite.

Not everyone else is amoral or money hungry. Can't say I've personally, imo, seen Joe do any shady tit. What on earth are you spewing?

The website that outlines how the votes are worked out seems to say that it's a 50/50 split between judges scores and viewers votes, then the final two dance once more to save themselves with the judges ultimately deciding who is leaving. So unless his viewer votes are ridiculously high then there's every chance if he's that bad that he could go if the judges score him low enough.

I do think though that his personality is quite endearing and he'll manage to win people that don't know who he is over even if he is genuinely shite.
Ah thanks for looking that up. Actually people in the media might be overestimating his fan base. After all Zoe hasn't sold out the few thousand signed copies of her new book and Tanya struggled to sell a few thousand tickets to her play. They really dont have millions of fans.

You're right he can be endearing and that might help with the general viewers. It's hard to imagine now, but there was a time many years ago when even Zoe was endearing.

I’m not saying I find joe any of those things, but besides the calendar, what’s the big difference between him and Zoe&others? I’m just pointing out the obvious really. I dunno how he managed to pull off being “one of the good ones” in every situation, but props to him for building up that image and getting away with everything lmao.

I'm guessing the good image is from him coming across as relatively reserved, he doesnt seem to use other people's downfalls as a punch line to his jokes unlike the other "buttercream" members, in contrast his humour is self diprecating, and showing he's self-aware by addressing he's declined in views.

I do agree in that his merch and books are a huge money grab, even though it seems to make some kids happy it's deceitful, also it's so clear that his age demo are young kids, the last vlog ad was for CHESSINGTON!? For a theme park I found it soooooo boring when I went years ago and I was 16/17.

Reactions: 3
Chessington is aimed very young children, not even teenagers!

Are his viewers actually under 13? I would have expected him to do thorpe park, they are all owned by the same company (Tussaud's).

I'm guessing the good image is from him coming across as relatively reserved, he doesnt seem to use other people's downfalls as a punch line to his jokes unlike the other "buttercream" members, in contrast his humour is self diprecating, and showing he's self-aware by addressing he's declined in views.

I do agree in that his merch and books are a huge money grab, even though it seems to make some kids happy it's deceitful, also it's so clear that his age demo are young kids, the last vlog ad was for CHESSINGTON!? For a theme park I found it soooooo boring when I went years ago and I was 16/17.
You see what I mean? Joe always picks under dogs to be the butt of his jokes aka Oli and Mikey, yet somehow you believe he’s not like the rest of them. Everyone in that group uses self deprecating humor as well. He’s also not the only self aware person. I think they’re all aware their views are dropping (Alfie trying new methods, his group have made jokes about it, Zoe giving up on uploading), he just mentions the old days way more probably because his ego is bruised the most. His power over people is just...

I don’t even hate Joe, I like him, but people really put him on this pedestal that he’s just not on lmao

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.